• Smallest enrollment school in 2023 NCAA Tournament

#68964  by Affirm
 Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:37 am
Furman is the SMALLEST enrollment school in the 2023 NCAA Tournament. Frequently, that description has gone to Davidson or Wofford, who have a combined total of 16 appearances (5 for Wofford and 11 for Davidson) since Furman was last in the tournament, and who each have enrollments smaller than Furman. Go Furman!
… (ADDITIONAL NOTE [10:04 AM Wed 3/15/2023]:
Furman is fortunate to have the privilege of playing academically highly-ranked University of Virginia in the 2023 NCAA Tournament. Virginia is ranked #25 by USN&WR among all National Universities. The only ranked National Universities in the 2023 NCAA Tournament ranked higher than Virginia in that specific ranking are Duke at #10 and UCLA at #20. USN&WR classifies Furman as a National Liberal Arts College; and Furman at #45 in that specific ranking is one of the only 2 National Liberal Arts Colleges in the 2023 NCAA Tournament. The other National Liberal Arts College in the 2023 NCAA Tournament is Colgate, #18 in that specific ranking. Other highly-ranked National Liberal Arts Colleges that have appeared in the NCAA Tournament in multiple years, include [former National Champion Holy Cross], Davidson, Richmond, Bucknell, Lafayette, Navy, and Air Force; but none of those are in the 2023 Tournament. Go Furman!)
Roundball, QCGlue, FU Hoopla liked this
 #68982  by FUBeAR
 Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:08 pm
affirm wrote:
Furman is fortunate to have the privilege of playing academically highly-ranked University of Virginia in the 2023 NCAA Tournament.
FUBeAR doesn’t understand this sentence.

“Fortunate…privilege of playing academically highly-ranked…” ????

Are the UVa Players going to be passing along the solution for cold fusion with Hein and Slawson underneath the boards? Perhaps some of the brilliant Darden School Econ Profs have enlightened the Wahoos backcourt as to the wonders of quantitative easing and MMT, which they will be sharing with Bothwell and Pegues on fast breaks.

Seriously - what benefits do you imagine accrue to Furman Basketball, Furman Athletics, and/or Furman University because we happened to get matched up vs. a Team from a school that is known for solid academics?

FUBeAR gets the smallest enrollment angle. Helps the whole David v. Goliath hype and another darn good reason for peeps to have that FU on their lips.
 #69001  by Affirm
 Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:32 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
affirm wrote:
Furman is fortunate to have the privilege of playing academically highly-ranked University of Virginia in the 2023 NCAA Tournament.

Are the UVa Players going to be passing along the solution for cold fusion with Hein and Slawson underneath the boards? Perhaps some of the brilliant Darden School Econ Profs have enlightened the Wahoos backcourt as to the wonders of quantitative easing and MMT, which they will be sharing with Bothwell and Pegues on fast breaks.

Seriously - what benefits do you imagine accrue to Furman Basketball, Furman Athletics, and/or Furman University because we happened to get matched up vs. a Team from a school that is known for solid academics?

FUBeAR gets the smallest enrollment angle. Helps the whole David v. Goliath hype and another darn good reason for peeps to have that FU on their lips.
Sorry if you don't understand.
At least these 3 possibilities (and yes, maybe I should have made a better sentence than using "fortunate" and "priviliege"; actually, I first wanted to just say "I am glad that Furman is playing academically highly-ranked ... , but "glad" just seemed to be an overly- vague word):
1. It IS good to associate athletically or otherwise with a highly-ranked academic school and particularly a national university. We do not get that opportunity very often.. It just makes us look better, in my opinion. (I even think UMBC is a pretty good school, actually; but, in any case, what they did 4 years ago did not detract from their reputation.)
2. To flatter UVA and talk about how great they are will perhaps make their followers or even their team think we are in awe of just playing against their name. (Yes, I realize neither their followers nor their team will read my post, but maybe somehow the word will get out that we feel fortunate and privileged. Of course, they probably already assume that we feel that way, so let's take advantage of their thinking that.) They will continue to think how great they are in comparison with us. Maybe they will take us less seriously. We need everything possible to win the game.
3. A. Maybe the Virginia name (or the Duke or the UCLA name, if we were playing them instead of Virginia) will grab more people's attention (general public) than would certain other schools' names, people will be prompted to find out more about Furman than they know now, and that knowledge and awareness will have unknow good effects. Who knows, perhaps it would even lead to some regular season OOC games against some other well-known schools; and that would improve our image and our ability to attract more good athletes and more good students in general, whether athletes or non-athletes.
3. B. Whether a big name school is top-ranked athletically or not, I think there is value added to Furman to be associated with the likes of the top Division-I schools (top academically) like Stanford, Duke, Northwestern Vanderbilt, Rice, Notre Dame, Cal, UCLA, Michigan, Southern Cal, Virginia, Florida, UNC-CH, Wake Forest, Boston College, Texas, Wisconsin, Illinois, Georgia Tech, Georgia, Tulane, Ohio State, Army, Navy, Air Force, Princeton, Harvard, Yale, Penn, Cornell, Columbia, William & Mary, Richmond, Davidson, Colgate, Bucknell, Holy Cross, Lafayette, and others. At the same time, I realize it is probably not feasible to have those on our OOC schedule very much, if at all.
Last edited by Affirm on Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #69004  by Affirm
 Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:55 pm
Jasper wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:43 pm
Oh. Well I guess that clears it all up. You had to work pretty hard for that explanation. 😋
Sorry. It takes a lot of hard work for some to understand. Sometimes it takes more than the effort is worth.
 #69008  by FUBeAR
 Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:51 pm
affirm wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
affirm wrote:

At least these 3 possibilities (and yes, maybe I should have made a better sentence than using "fortunate" and "priviliege"; actually, I first wanted to just say "I am glad that Furman is playing academically highly-ranked ... , but "glad" just seemed to be an overly- vague word):
1. It IS good to associate athletically or otherwise with a highly-ranked academic school and particularly a national university. We do not get that opportunity very often.. It just makes us look better, in my opinion. (I even think UMBC is a pretty good school, actually; but, in any case, what they did 4 years ago did not detract from their reputation.)
2. To flatter UVA and talk about how great they are will perhaps make their followers or even their team think we are in awe of just playing against their name. (Yes, I realize neither their followers nor their team will read my post, but maybe somehow the word will get out that we feel fortunate and privileged. Of course, they probably already assume that we feel that way, so let's take advantage of their thinking that.) They will continue to think how great they are in comparison with us. Maybe they will take us less seriously. We need everything possible to win the game.
3. A. Maybe the Virginia name (or the Duke or the UCLA name, if we were playing them instead of Virginia) will grab more people's attention (general public) than would certain other schools' names, people will be prompted to find out more about Furman than they know now, and that knowledge and awareness will have unknow good effects. Who knows, perhaps it would even lead to some regular season OOC games against some other well-known schools; and that would improve our image and our ability to attract more good athletes and more good students in general, whether athletes or non-athletes.
3. B. Whether a big name school is top-ranked athletically or not, I think there is value added to Furman to be associated with the likes of the top Division-I schools (top academically) like Stanford, Duke, Northwestern Vanderbilt, Rice, Notre Dame, Cal, UCLA, Michigan, Southern Cal, Virginia, Florida, UNC-CH, Wake Forest, Boston College, Texas, Wisconsin, Illinois, Georgia Tech, Georgia, Tulane, Ohio State, Army, Navy, Air Force, Princeton, Harvard, Yale, Penn, Cornell, Columbia, William & Mary, Richmond, Davidson, Colgate, Bucknell, Holy Cross, Lafayette, and others. At the same time, I realize it is probably not feasible to have those on our OOC schedule very much, if at all.
OK…got it…
 #69009  by FurmAlum
 Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:34 pm
affirm wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
affirm wrote:

Note the 2 esteemed schools Duke and Princeton got knocked out of the Academic Final 4 in the first round.
 #69012  by FUBeAR
 Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:08 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
affirm wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
affirm wrote:

Note the 2 esteemed schools Duke and Princeton got knocked out of the Academic Final 4 in the first round.
If matched up, Furman would have beaten Princeton by 11 and blown out Duke by 42 points.
 #69037  by Affirm
 Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:05 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
affirm wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
affirm wrote:

How did Furman do in that particular competition?
 #69042  by Affirm
 Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:13 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:51 pm
affirm wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
affirm wrote:

OK…got it…
OK…thanks…

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:59 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.