• NCAA Tournament Selection Show (March 12th 6pm CBS)

#68347  by FUBeAR
 Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:20 am
Per CBS Sports…

Big Ten Tournament
* NCAA Tournament locks: Indiana (1), Iowa (2), Michigan State (3), Northwestern (4), Purdue (5)
* Probable NCAA Tournament teams: Illinois (6), Maryland (7)
* On the bubble for NCAA Tournament: Michigan (8), Penn State (9), Rutgers (10), Wisconsin (11)

Does it strike anyone else as funny / ironic / odd / stupid / fouled up that the Big Ten is projected to get maybe Eleven teams into the NCAA Tournament or is that just FUBeAR?
Mr. Taggart, gman84, FU Hoopla and 1 others liked this
 #68349  by Paladin91
 Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:28 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Per CBS Sports…

Big Ten Tournament
* NCAA Tournament locks: Indiana (1), Iowa (2), Michigan State (3), Northwestern (4), Purdue (5)
* On the bubble for NCAA Tournament: Michigan (8), Penn State (9), Rutgers (10), Wisconsin (11)

Does it strike anyone else as funny / ironic / odd / stupid / fouled up that the Big Ten is projected to get maybe Eleven teams into the NCAA Tournament or is that just FUBeAR?
It's ridiculous - should be no more than 5 or 6 teams from a top conference.
dornb, apaladin liked this
 #68351  by Mr. Taggart
 Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:42 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Per CBS Sports…

Big Ten Tournament

Pretty sure Wisconsin played its way out of the Dance last night. That said, the Big Ten always racks up a load of bids and underperforms in the Tourney. This is particularly true given the last Big Ten National Title was in 2000.
FUBeAR, FU Hoopla, dornb liked this
 #68354  by Furmanoid
 Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:44 am
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:56 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:55 am
Something to keep in mind, there are 4 former SoCon coaches to occupy big time jobs currently, VA Tech, Wake Forest, South Carolina, Cincinnati. None of those schools are projected to be in the NCAA tourney.
Niko Medved and Colorado State are 14-17 this season as well.
Good example. He’s now one bad season away from kicking himself for leaving Furman. Where do you go if you get fired by Colorado State? You pretty much start over. Unless you are in it strictly for money, why risk moving to a loser? They’ll love you for a minute, but when the team falls to its natural level, you get fired.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #68358  by furpop16
 Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:02 am
Paladin91 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:28 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Per CBS Sports…

Big Ten Tournament

It's ridiculous - should be no more than 5 or 6 teams from a top conference.
Or at least a winning conference record (Wisconsin 9-11; Rutgers 10-10; Penn State 10-10)
dornb liked this
 #68360  by Furmanoid
 Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:12 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:35 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:29 pm
I’d say CBR isn’t the top choice this year for any legitimate P5s, that probably goes to the CofC guy. I just don’t see him switching to another mid-major for just a pay raise. I would hope a P5 job is the only thing that would pull CBR away from Furman. Can’t blame him due what would be available with the contract, resources, and moving to a multi-bid league. Even if FU could build the best arena and offer the biggest contract the SoCon is stuck as a one bid league for now. As we fans know that is very frustrating, so I can’t imagine how the players and coaches struggle in the SoCon.

Just saw where Mike Buddie, who is clearly familiar with CBR, fired the Army coach. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him reach out, but would imagine Furman is still a far more favorable job.

That's why the vision should be for a bigger prestige conference to be affiliated with, one that we create and can maintain multi-bid status. Furman, Davidson, Belmont, College of Charleston is a great base starting point to build out a new multi-bid basketball conference. ;)

Again as I have said, Villanova is proof that you can have Basketball and Football compete in separate conferences and still have success with both programs.
Gotta disagree. We are in position now to go every year. Our conference sucks and that’s great! We just have to win, and we should win. To insulate ourselves against the occasional tournament goof up, we need to beat good teams in the non conference games. Had we beaten NC State and Penn State and somehow lost to UTC in the final, I bet we’d still be in. We can play good teams if we want to, but it’s nice to have an extremely winnable conference in case we lose to them.
 #68364  by FU Hoopla
 Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:21 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:12 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:35 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:29 pm
I’d say CBR isn’t the top choice this year for any legitimate P5s, that probably goes to the CofC guy. I just don’t see him switching to another mid-major for just a pay raise. I would hope a P5 job is the only thing that would pull CBR away from Furman. Can’t blame him due what would be available with the contract, resources, and moving to a multi-bid league. Even if FU could build the best arena and offer the biggest contract the SoCon is stuck as a one bid league for now. As we fans know that is very frustrating, so I can’t imagine how the players and coaches struggle in the SoCon.

Just saw where Mike Buddie, who is clearly familiar with CBR, fired the Army coach. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him reach out, but would imagine Furman is still a far more favorable job.

That's why the vision should be for a bigger prestige conference to be affiliated with, one that we create and can maintain multi-bid status. Furman, Davidson, Belmont, College of Charleston is a great base starting point to build out a new multi-bid basketball conference. ;)

Again as I have said, Villanova is proof that you can have Basketball and Football compete in separate conferences and still have success with both programs.
Gotta disagree. We are in position now to go every year. Our conference sucks and that’s great! We just have to win, and we should win. To insulate ourselves against the occasional tournament goof up, we need to beat good teams in the non conference games. Had we beaten NC State and Penn State and somehow lost to UTC in the final, I bet we’d still be in. We can play good teams if we want to, but it’s nice to have an extremely winnable conference in case we lose to them.
If Richey is going to stay with us then ok, but if we are going to keep losing a coach every time we're really good then that is playing with fire, never know when your next hire might bomb. If we keep losing coaches then that is proof itself that we need to be looking for bigger and better in order to raise program prestige and program finances.

If Richey is going to stay with us then Ill trust whatever his vision is for the program..............