• NCAA Tournament Selection Show (March 12th 6pm CBS)

#68261  by Affirm
 Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:12 pm
Roundball wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:52 am
affirm wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:41 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:43 pm
Do we know what specific chances he’s had to coach at other schools? How likely is it that he will not be with us next year? To what extent does our continuing success depend upon him staying? How committed is Furman to getting a replacement as good or better when he does leave us?
We know about two chances, College of Charleston and S. Carolina. I have a close friend and big supporter of our basketball program that is so consumed with next year that he cannot enjoy this year. I keep telling him to live the moment and enjoy the moment. Next year will take care of itself. He just cannot help himself.
I am not the person who is your close friend and big supporter, but I am like him in regard to being concerned about next year. I am also concerned about the next 10 years for Furman Basketball. After you've had a 43-year drought, and it ends, yes you celebrate and enjoy; but you also want to do everything possible to keep Furman Basketball at a high level like it is right now. I think our realistic goal ought to be that we win the SoCon Tournament (if we stay in the SoCon) AT LEAST ONCE EVERY SIX (6) YEARS. If we create or otherwise join some better league that is a multi-bid league, then our realistic goal ought to be that we are good enough (in that better league that is a multi-year league) to get a bid (automatic or non-automatic) AT LEAST ONCE EVERY SIX (6) YEARS. Now is the time to celebrate and enjoy, and now is also the time to make sure we are going to sustain quality going forward. What in the world happened to us between 1980 and 2023? Never again! Not only is 43 years too long, but 7 years between appearances in the NCAA Tournament is too long. Yes we ARE lucky and blessed to have Bob Richey. Whether he stays or whether he leaves, lets make sure we keep up the high quality that he has brought (and Niko Medved also had a big part in starting). Let's not just consider it luck from this point on. It IS luck that we got Medved and Richey. Let's keep Richey. If we cannot keep Richey, then let's make sure we do whatever it takes to maintain our so-called "luck". I truly hope Bob Richey stays 30 more years!
Last edited by Affirm on Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
apaladin liked this
 #68263  by FU Hoopla
 Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:15 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:56 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:55 am
Something to keep in mind, there are 4 former SoCon coaches to occupy big time jobs currently, VA Tech, Wake Forest, South Carolina, Cincinnati. None of those schools are projected to be in the NCAA tourney.
Niko Medved and Colorado State are 14-17 this season as well.
Great point!
 #68264  by dornb
 Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:25 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:19 am
Just getting the feeling that all the intense pressure that has been on FU all season is now behind our team, and they will come out for the NCAA tourney playing free and having fun, go enjoy your moment fellas :D
I sure hope you are right!
FU Hoopla liked this
 #68266  by 'Din Djarin
 Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:48 pm
I have been on and off of this forum for nearly 2 decades. One of my entrenched take-aways is that a few of you cannot exist without finding something to be miserable about.

Furman just made the NCAA Tournament for the first time in my *lifetime*. I am going to revel in this experience, and y'all should too. All the other stuff - Bothwell & Slawson graduating, other offers for Richey, etc. - is beyond my and your control. Find some joy, bro.
dornb, Roundball, Fuonetime and 5 others liked this
 #68269  by Roundball
 Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:01 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:29 pm
I’d say CBR isn’t the top choice this year for any legitimate P5s, that probably goes to the CofC guy. I just don’t see him switching to another mid-major for just a pay raise. I would hope a P5 job is the only thing that would pull CBR away from Furman. Can’t blame him due what would be available with the contract, resources, and moving to a multi-bid league. Even if FU could build the best arena and offer the biggest contract the SoCon is stuck as a one bid league for now. As we fans know that is very frustrating, so I can’t imagine how the players and coaches struggle in the SoCon.

Just saw where Mike Buddie, who is clearly familiar with CBR, fired the Army coach. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him reach out, but would imagine Furman is still a far more favorable job.
Kelsey at CofC just got a huge contract extension to $1 million a year, half of which is covered by private donations. I doubt he is leaving anytime soon. He has that city sewed up and can get anything he wants.https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/c ... 30542.html
https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/c ... bbdde.html
 #68290  by apaladin
 Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:39 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:19 am
Just getting the feeling that all the intense pressure that has been on FU all season is now behind our team, and they will come out for the NCAA tourney playing free and having fun, go enjoy your moment fellas :D
I think and hope you are right. MB pretty much said the same on the Marc Ryan show yesterday.:He said they hwve been the hunted all year snd they will be the hunter now snd they enjoy that roll. Regardless of who they play they will be expected to lose so just go have fun and play well.
FU Hoopla, dornb liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.