• Way to go guys !! SOCON CHAMPS ! Thank you

#6687  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:17 pm
Way to go guys. I hope some of you see this. You gave Furman fans a lot to be proud of this year. You gave us a lot of fun. Enjoy those SoCon rings and that championship !!! Your 2018 will be put up on the Field House along with the other great champion teams.

Thanks (especially to the seniors) who have been a huge part of turning Furman football around.

Thank you all
AHB1188, dornb, AlValonge and 8 others liked this
 #6762  by tim
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:29 am
Absolutely. 0-3 and come off the mat for a championship? Character building year. Let the NCAA take their silly playoff and shove it. I'm gonna miss watching Harris Roberts and all the seniors play. They can say they won their last game and it got them a title. I never realized Roberts was that good until this year, especially overcoming all those injuries. 10 years from now we won't remember who was in the playoffs, but look at the stadium dressing room and we will know who won the title. Incarnate Word?? OK.
apaladin, DC Paladin, dornb and 3 others liked this
 #6809  by Davemeister
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:05 pm
tim wrote:
Absolutely. 0-3 and come off the mat for a championship? Character building year. Let the NCAA take their silly playoff and shove it. I'm gonna miss watching Harris Roberts and all the seniors play. They can say they won their last game and it got them a title. I never realized Roberts was that good until this year, especially overcoming all those injuries. 10 years from now we won't remember who was in the playoffs, but look at the stadium dressing room and we will know who won the title. Incarnate Word?? OK.
Great post! You hit the nail on the head!
 #6815  by Affirm
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:19 pm
tim wrote:
And I hope we can look at the stadium dressing room and also see about 5 more years on that wall after 2018 representing championships in the coming 10 years. But we will always remember 2018.
FUKA61, dornb liked this
 #6820  by FUBeAR
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:13 pm
Paul C wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:10 pm
I'm tempted to say I'd rather win the SoCon and miss the playoffs, than the other way around (last year).
As a Player...and if I had to choose one OR the other...and IF you added that we could NOT win the National Championship, then I would choose the SoCon Championship over the Playoffs in every year except my final one...that year...I’d just want the opportunity to keep playing.
fufanatic, AstroDin liked this
 #6869  by tim
 Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:14 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Paul C wrote:
I'm tempted to say I'd rather win the SoCon and miss the playoffs, than the other way around (last year).
As a Player...and if I had to choose one OR the other...and IF you added that we could NOT win the National Championship, then I would choose the SoCon Championship over the Playoffs in every year except my final one...that year...I’d just want the opportunity to keep playing.
For this team, its their first ring. If I'm remembering right (and I may not be) your senior class had at least two. And we entered the first playoff and ran into a game we both had rather forget :D If I'm remembering right.
 #6873  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:17 pm
tim wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
Paul C wrote:
For this team, its their first ring. If I'm remembering right (and I may not be) your senior class had at least two. And we entered the first playoff and ran into a game we both had rather forget :D If I'm remembering right.
Close...4 Championships for those of us who were 5 year guys ‘78, ‘80, ‘81, & ‘82.

And, yeah, that SCSU D shut us down in our 1st-ever Playoff game. Stacked 8 or 9 in the box & played press man or press man free coverage every play. DB’s were too fast & too good to get any separation & they were good enough up front to leverage their numbers to shut down our run game. I believe our ‘man-beater’ (man coverage) WR, Chas Fox, was hurt, so we couldn’t loosen ‘em up & we could never get a field position advantage to leverage into grinding-out points. So...17-0...dammit!

Don’t entirely want to forget it though. Winning OPW in my last game ever takes just a wee bit of the sting out of that loss...now that almost 40 years have interceded.
 #6874  by AstroDin
 Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:36 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
tim wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
Paul C wrote:
Close...4 Championships for those of us who were 5 year guys ‘78, ‘80, ‘81, & ‘82.

And, yeah, that SCSU D shut us down in our 1st-ever Playoff game. Stacked 8 or 9 in the box & played press man or press man free coverage every play. DB’s were too fast & too good to get any separation & they were good enough up front to leverage their numbers to shut down our run game. I believe our ‘man-beater’ (man coverage) WR, Chas Fox, was hurt, so we couldn’t loosen ‘em up & we could never get a field position advantage to leverage into grinding-out points. So...17-0...dammit!

Don’t entirely want to forget it though. Winning OPW in my last game ever takes just a wee bit of the sting out of that loss...now that almost 40 years have interceded.
I remember watching that game from the far corner stands near the fieldhouse. I might be making this up but didn't they bring a bunch of fans?
 #6876  by tim
 Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:19 pm
AstroDin wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
tim wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
Paul C wrote:

I remember watching that game from the far corner stands near the fieldhouse. I might be making this up but didn't they bring a bunch of fans?
Yep, I watched from near the Furman dressing room through the fence. A little better than those hills, there wasn't a seat anywhere. I was a little late and the traffic backup was down Poinsett highway.
AstroDin liked this
 #6884  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:29 pm
AstroDin wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
tim wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
Paul C wrote:

Heck yeah, they did. Don’t want to get off into a political discussion, but I believe this may have been the 1st or one of the 1st times that a D1 Football Program from SC had played an HBCU Team from SC, so there was A LOT of statewide interest in this game. Furman had a great crowd and SCSU had a huge crowd...and there were A TON of people who opted to view the game through the fence; so they don’t appear in the attendance figures. They also brought their renowned band, “The Marching 101,” if I’m not mistaken and a lot of people were there to see an HBCU band in a venue other than a parade on TV.

As the always quotable, Coach Robbie Caldwell, said post-game that day, “We wuz outmanned, outfanned, and outband!”

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:59 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.