• JP PEGUES

#68060  by Jasper
 Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:42 am
Been playing and watching basketball for many, many years and have never seen as much in-season improvement in a player as FU's Pegues has shown. This kid went 0 for the game from 3-point land and still won the MVP. He is arguably our best long-distance threat, and he just didn't have it last night. So, he distributed the ball beautifully from PG and he drove to the hoop incredibly well. When he did not make the shot, he got fouled....and made most of them. He very much deserved the honors he received last night and should have gotten from the coaches for his play all season. That likely served as motivation for the tourney. Furman has been blessed with a lot of really good point guards, but this kid has the capacity to be the best of them all.
Davemeister, 'Din Djarin, dornb and 5 others liked this
 #68068  by furpop16
 Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:00 am
On the broadcast the ESPN announcers chided the snub: “I love the nine voting SoCon coaches, but it’s unbelievable to me they left Pegues out of the honors list.”
paladinfan12, FUBeAR, dornb and 4 others liked this
 #68074  by 'Din Djarin
 Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:04 am
Pegues played a fantastic game. He drove the ball well in the paint (most of the team did, this was really our most effective form of offense last night), drew fouls, got some rebounds, played good defense. He did exactly what you're supposed to do if you're cold from the arc - find other ways to contribute. That's a sign of maturity, which in turn is a sign of good coaching. You love to see it.

Also want to give a shout to Alex Williams - 12 points (including 2 3's), 6 boards and 25 minutes off the bench.
FUBeAR, dornb, gman84 and 4 others liked this
 #68084  by Paladin91
 Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:23 am
Yes, he is by far the most improved player this year and by far the MVP of the tournament - consistent. His shooting has been outstanding - don't think we would have won without his level of improvement in all phases of the game.
Jasper, dornb liked this
 #68085  by FurmAlum
 Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:31 am
Y'all are going to laugh at me when I say this (or maybe not), but JP reminds me of Ja Morant (without the guns).
Paul C, hypercycloid liked this
 #68090  by Jasper
 Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:50 am
'Din Djarin wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:04 am
Pegues played a fantastic game. He drove the ball well in the paint (most of the team did, this was really our most effective form of offense last night), drew fouls, got some rebounds, played good defense. He did exactly what you're supposed to do if you're cold from the arc - find other ways to contribute. That's a sign of maturity, which in turn is a sign of good coaching. You love to see it.

Also want to give a shout to Alex Williams - 12 points (including 2 3's), 6 boards and 25 minutes off the bench.
How about the spinning drive down middle for a double pump layup for Alex? That is a big man to be showing moves like that. Gonna be a good one.
'Din Djarin, QCGlue, dornb liked this
 #68091  by Jasper
 Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:52 am
saltyshaker wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:41 am
look forward to having him two more years.
I hope we can keep him. I hear there is a lot of poaching going on in that transfer portal and he could start for a lot of power teams.
bj93 liked this
 #68093  by apaladin
 Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:14 am
Jasper wrote:
saltyshaker wrote:
I hope we can keep him. I hear there is a lot of poaching going on in that transfer portal and he could start for a lot of power teams.
They were talking on the Clempson network about MB and JS coming back when they could have went to P5 schools. Says a lot about the FU program and more importantly those 2 young men. I think the most improved part of JP’s game is his driving to the basket. Use to rarely try it, now it is s huge part of his game.
Bootie liked this
 #68095  by Paladin91
 Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:20 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:14 am
Jasper wrote:
saltyshaker wrote:
They were talking on the Clempson network about MB and JS coming back when they could have went to P5 schools. Says a lot about the FU program and more importantly those 2 young men. I think the most improved part of JP’s game is his driving to the basket. Use to rarely try it, now it is s huge part of his game.
JP is much shiftier this year and an improved ball handler. His confidence level has also grown exponentially through the year.
dornb liked this
 #68097  by Monday
 Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:27 am
If Richey leaves, he’s taking Pegues with him
 #68098  by Furmanoid
 Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:35 am
He made the difference. At times he seemed to be the confident guy when others got shaky. I feel much better about next year. We won’t be quite as good, but easily good enough to win the SoCon. The year after that we might be really good.

By the way I can honestly say that I was never really concerned during this tournament. Knew we would win because we were so obviously better than the people we were playing. If we can get any kind of decent draw we’ll win our first round NCAA game. Then I’m gonna say 60/40 us in the second round.
Winning all the time does wonders for confidence.
 #68137  by Davemeister
 Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:34 pm
Monday wrote:

We'll cross that bridge when - and if - we come to it. Enjoy the Moment! We're going to The Dance!
dornb, apaladin liked this
 #68139  by dornb
 Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:42 pm
Monday wrote:
PLEASE stop this kind of talk! We need to just enjoy this awesome journey we are on!
FU Hoopla, gman84, apaladin liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.