• Transfers

#67906  by Paladin82
 Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:26 am
Thorny wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:30 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:04 pm
Excuse me Thorny but what a Wus attitude. The only reason I watch the games on TV is because I live 6 hours from Greenville.

And I still go to some of them.

When I was a student I went to all of them at home (football and basketball) and some on the road. Went to all the BB North/South Doubleheader games.

I can recall going to ETSU, App State, Davidson, and Presbyterian football games on the road. One time me and several fraternity brothers decided at 12 Noon on Sat. that we were going to ECU in Greenville, N.C. which was 6 hours away for a 7 P.M. football game. We had a few drinks on the way, got into a car wreck in downtown Greenville, N.C. and still made it to the game by the end of the first quarter. I don't know how we didn't end up in jail.

I just remember the games were a lot of fun and what else was there to do? Watching a game on TV when you can walk to the stadium is beyond comprehension to me. Surely you were just kidding?
My idea of a good time never includes going to a sporting event in person. I may be a wus but it is legitimately not something I enjoy.
You've obviously never tailgated with Flagman :D
FUwolfpacker, FU69 liked this
 #67910  by cavedweller2
 Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:37 am
FurmanFan23 wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:17 am
Furman which gets highly motivated academic students are way more interested in other things than sports
Back in the day we referred to those type students as ghosts, or phantoms because of the way they scurried like Ewoks from bush to bush on their way to hide out in the library.
FUBeAR liked this
 #67929  by paladinfan12
 Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:53 am
I'm with Thorny. I also graduated around 10 years ago and the motivation for students to come to the games when I was there was to create an awesome gameday atmosphere with tailgating, food, music, etc. Greek life leads the way on this, but I would love to see Furman try to engage other groups. Winning also helps, but you have to make a Saturday outside in the fall attractive for students and the community to attend games instead of watching Clemson beat GT by 40 from home.

I don't think many students really follow Furman football that closely because none of Furman's sports are covered by national media. Anytime Furman has a big game (playoff, SoCon Tourney) there are several of my friends who will check in, but week to week I think the best way to get buts in seats is to show off your campus and have a big tailgate.
 #67933  by apaladin
 Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:09 am
paladinfan12 wrote:
I'm with Thorny. I also graduated around 10 years ago and the motivation for students to come to the games when I was there was to create an awesome gameday atmosphere with tailgating, food, music, etc. Greek life leads the way on this, but I would love to see Furman try to engage other groups. Winning also helps, but you have to make a Saturday outside in the fall attractive for students and the community to attend games instead of watching Clemson beat GT by 40 from home.

I don't think many students really follow Furman football that closely because none of Furman's sports are covered by national media. Anytime Furman has a big game (playoff, SoCon Tourney) there are several of my friends who will check in, but week to week I think the best way to get buts in seats is to show off your campus and have a big tailgate.
Have you been to a game lateky? Furman has done about everything to get students to attend including student tailgating is now inside the stadium. It has helped as the tailgating has been well attended. A good many migrate over to their seats by middle of the first quater. If we could all of thrm to it would be great.
dornb liked this
 #67934  by paladinfan12
 Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:12 am
apaladin wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:09 am
paladinfan12 wrote:

Have you been to a game lateky? Furman has done about everything to get students to attend including student tailgating is now inside the stadium. It has helped as the tailgating has been well attended. A good many migrate over to their seats by middle of the first quater. If we could all of thrm to it would be great.
Live in Texas, the last one I made it to was the playoff game against Elon.... which was Thanksgiving break. The turnout was rough, but that is understandable.

I've read about Furman's push to get more people into the game - awesome. Love the direction and hope they keep doing it.
Davemeister, apaladin liked this
 #67942  by FUBeAR
 Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:12 pm
Apparently, FU Admissions is doing an outstanding job of attracting the historically underserved agoraphobic community.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thorny liked this
 #67944  by 'Din Djarin
 Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:32 pm
There's a "Why don't more Furman students come to games???" thread pretty regularly here. When I was student this vexed me, but at this point, I really think Furman football does plenty to engage students. Most importantly, they are good. Just put the best product you can on the field. When you win, people will show up. If they don't, it's not worth losing sleep as to why.

For another perspective, I went to 2 Furman games this fall and took one of my buddies (not a Furman alum) to both of them. He lives nearby, and he had a great time. His comment was that you get to see good football and you can relax a lot more than you can at an SC or a Clemson game. He said he wants to try to make a few games every fall now, especially since he lives close by.
FUBeAR, FUwolfpacker, Davemeister and 2 others liked this
 #68038  by Thorny
 Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:15 pm
FUBeAR wrote:Apparently, FU Admissions is doing an outstanding job of attracting the historically underserved agoraphobic community.
Seems like I missed an opportunity on my admissions essay to explain how I would add diversity to Furman's student body. 🤣

/Saying I already follow Furman football would have probably also worked.
 #70202  by apaladin
 Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:12 pm
Afurmanfan wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:05 pm
Matt Smith, the tight end from Duke, is going to U Mass.
Mind boggling! Arguably the absolute worst fbs program.
 #70205  by FUwolfpacker
 Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:26 pm
I think he’s from that area, right? Being closer to home had to have a lot to do with it because why else would you want to play football for UMass?
AstroDin, apaladin liked this
 #70506  by apaladin
 Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:51 pm
So am I correct to say we have not picked up any transfers this off season after picking up several last season?
 #70513  by Paul C
 Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:03 pm
Incorrect

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.