• #1 Furman vs #7 UTC (March 6 @7 pm, SOCON Final)

#67894  by purplehorse123
 Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:10 am
FurmAlum wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:16 pm
Game Plan for Chatty. They will be all over Slawson and Bothwell. Maybe Pegues too. Hien, Foster, Vanderwal, Hughey, and Whitt are going to get some open looks and they need to be ready to take those shots without hesitation. I would expect they cover Williams more closely. Whitt needs to stay in control when he's in there.

On defense get in their face with a lot of backside help and make them work for a shot. Like P91 said, in transition run them to death. After a made basket, get it out quick and run them to death.

Slawson and Hien need to quit the stupid reach in fouls. Hit the offensive boards hard but when Chatty gets the rebound just accept it and get back down the court. You can bet they will try to get our bigs in foul trouble.

I wouldn't be surprised if we spring the press on them when they are not expecting it but I don't think we'll use it too much and hope we don't have to.

All 5 starters have Championship game experience and I'm not sure how many Chatty players are back from last year. I think that will be the difference. We should not expect everything to go perfect but plan on a competitive game to the end.

Did I say make some free throws.

Go Paladins!
Outstanding post! You nailed many excellent points! We need someone else to step up besides Bothwell, Slawson and Pegues AND those guys need to bring their A game.
If only 4 players score field goals (like tonight), we will lose for sure.

And with Jake Stephens, we cannot afford any stupid fouls by Slawson and Hien.

And did you mention free throws?
FU Hoopla, dornb liked this
 #67902  by Davemeister
 Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:00 am
1) Tonight will be the Mocs' 4th game in 4 days. That's one of our biggest advantages and we've GOT to take advantage of it by playing a fast-paced game.

2) Slawson can't get in foul trouble. If he does, Stephens will run wild.

3) Got to make FTs.

4) Need big games from Both & JP plus more help from the bench than we got yesterday.
Last edited by Davemeister on Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
FU Hoopla, dornb, QCGlue and 1 others liked this
 #67907  by Paladin91
 Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:31 am
din23 wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:18 am
I see Hein as a bigger factor against Stephens. His bulk will be important, and Hughey will also need to provide some solid D off the bench.
I think you're right - I'd like to see Hien and Hughey up against Stephens, with more backside help from Slawson. Last thing we need is Slawson in early foul trouble. I just wish we had a solid 6'10 guy that could play some D and give respectable minutes.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #67908  by Jasper
 Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:36 am
You are correct. Chatt will do as well as Stephens is able. He is playing his 4th game in 4 days. I think the key will be for Hein to really run the court on him. He has got to stop those silly reach in fouls and just get down court as quickly as possible. Our bench went 0 for the game from the field yesterday and that can't happen again. Love to see Joe Anderson get some minutes as well. Slawson needs to stay out of foul trouble. Hopefully we go our worst half of the year out of our system.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #67912  by MidlandsPaladin
 Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:43 am
Jasper wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:36 am
You are correct. Chatt will do as well as Stephens is able. He is playing his 4th game in 4 days. I think the key will be for Hein to really run the court on him. He has got to stop those silly reach in fouls and just get down court as quickly as possible. Our bench went 0 for the game from the field yesterday and that can't happen again. Love to see Joe Anderson get some minutes as well. Slawson needs to stay out of foul trouble. Hopefully we go our worst half of the year out of our system.
Not only Stephens 4th game in 4 days, but his first action for weeks while recovering from injury. I know he was able to do conditioning during his rehab, but there is nothing like the speed of a game. We gotta make him work for everything he gets. With frustration, fatigue will set in early.
FU Hoopla, dornb, QCGlue liked this
 #67916  by furpop16
 Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:00 am
After my third glass of Pinot Noir I went to bed. This morning I’ve woken up refreshed, relaxed, … and pissed-off. If the guys are feeling anything like I’m feeling, I predict a beat-down of biblical proportions.
FU Hoopla, Chuckles, dornb and 2 others liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.