#6738  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:15 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:16 pm
Va. Tech. is Doomed.
If you watched VT try to defend Ga Tech option of Paul Johnson we can hang around. They were horrible at stopping option
 #6746  by Affirm
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:05 am
gofurman wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:15 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:16 pm
Va. Tech. is Doomed.
If you watched VT try to defend Ga Tech option of Paul Johnson we can hang around. They were horrible at stopping option
I like the talk, but let’s make sure we can talk AFTER that game.
 #6747  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:56 am
Purpleglasses wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:14 pm
Actually in Fowler’s last class you also have Bo Layton and Jordan Harris as starters this season.
Layton and Kroeber started last season as well.
I misstated my point. I had looked at the roster to determine why Furman was starting 4 sophomores and 1 junior most of this season on the offensive line. It seems the primary reason is that the majority of the guys brought into the program that would currently be juniors and seniors never developed into starters by 2018. Several quit, transferred or spent their careers on mop-up duty.
 #6748  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:58 am
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:49 pm
Paul C wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:15 pm
Worried about S. No obvious replacement for Anoor.

NG Jay Reid is a great player but I like Stokes and interested to see how Cameron Coleman has developed. Should be OK there.

At QB, Grainger looked a lot better vs Samford than he did earlier in the year, another offseason should help him maximize the use of his terrific physical skills, although it might be bumpy going at times.

I also heard that a few of our commits that will sign in Dec will be on campus in Jan and participate in spring ball....that’s huge for depth.
This IMO is big… the last incoming recruit that I can remember that came in early - made a pretty big impact Ryan Steed. Jalen Miller (Byrnes) Austin Jones (Rabun CO) and Josh Slay (Douglas) look ready to go - I'll be curious to see who reports in January.

I also heard London Lewis could be back next season…

Another name to not forget is Jack Barton… 6-4 235 SDE I think he plays in 2019: http://www.hudl.com/video/3/5184531/5b9 ... 0640acc3ba
This is how you rebuild a program, in my opinion. Get guys in early, going to work, and start playing them when they are ready.

I don't know Lewis' story, but I've seen him on the sidelines during the game and he's still listed on the roster, so I presume he will be available to play next year. I hope he becomes a key player for us.
 #6750  by Affirm
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:48 am
So is it:
CSU Aug 31
GA State Sep 7
VT Sep 14
Then home vs ETSU, Cit, Mercer, VMI
And away vs Wofford, Samford, WCU, Chattanooga
?
 #6754  by MNORM
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:18 am
affirm wrote:
So is it:
CSU Aug 31
GA State Sep 7
VT Sep 14
?
I'm still seeing the VTech game as 8/31 on multiple websites. So the CSU game and VTech may be reversed.
Georgia State is 9/7.
I'll be extremely disappointed if our administration is unable to find a 4th OOC game for next year.
 #6759  by Affirm
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:18 am
MNORM wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:18 am
affirm wrote:
So is it:
CSU Aug 31
GA State Sep 7
VT Sep 14
?
I'm still seeing the VTech game as 8/31 on multiple websites. So the CSU game and VTech may be reversed.
Georgia State is 9/7.
I'll be extremely disappointed if our administration is unable to find a 4th OOC game for next year.
Davidson, Jacksonville FL, Stetson, Georgetown, Presbyterian, SC State, NC Central - are none of those available?
 #6761  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:29 am
Certainly with two FBS games next year we can afford to play a Pioneer League or D2 squad to come to Furman.

I don't want to go so far as to say the administration "owes" anyone another home game, but this Clay Hendrix has spent an overwhelming majority of his Furman head coaching career on the road, and the fans were denied another home game this season.
MidlandsPaladin, bj93, din23 and 1 others liked this
 #6764  by MNORM
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:34 am
The Jackal wrote:
Certainly with two FBS games next year we can afford to play a Pioneer League or D2 squad to come to Furman.

I don't want to go so far as to say the administration "owes" anyone another home game, but this Clay Hendrix has spent an overwhelming majority of his Furman head coaching career on the road, and the fans were denied another home game this season.
I would hate to see us resort to scheduling a D2 school. Scheduling a D2 game would only put us at even more of a disadvantage. D2 games do not count toward playoff eligibility. We should be working hard to find a Pioneer, Big South, MEAC, or an FCS Independent (Hampton or N. Alabama).
dinsontop and 1 others liked this
 #6783  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:54 am
MNORM wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

I would hate to see us resort to scheduling a D2 school. Scheduling a D2 game would only put us at even more of a disadvantage. D2 games do not count toward playoff eligibility. We should be working hard to find a Pioneer, Big South, MEAC, or an FCS Independent (Hampton or N. Alabama).
I don't mind them in 12 game seasons. I hate playing them in 11 game seasons.
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #6796  by raleigh fan
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:11 pm
Looked at some other OOC schedules in conference some have 4 firm games some have 2 some have 3...Chattanooga's is very hard (E. Illinois, JMU at Jacksonville ST and Tennessee), ETSU has only two scheduled but they are App and Vandy, Mercer has Campbell and UNC, Samford has Youngstown and Auburn, Citadel has Towson, Elon, GT and a date yet to be confirmed with Char. Southern (which is probably why we don't have a confirmation), VMI has Marshall, Army, Mars Hill, and Robert Morris, WCU has Gardner Webb, NCST and Alabama, and Wofford has only Clemson scheduled and confirmed so far. Many different philosophies.
 #6798  by MNORM
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:23 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:54 am
MNORM wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

I don't mind them in 12 game seasons. I hate playing them in 11 game seasons.
Normally I'd agree with this, but we have two FBS games already on the schedule for '19. While I like our chances against Georgia State, I don't see any benefit in having three games on our schedule that could theoretically not benefit our chances of getting an at-large bid...especially now that we know the selection committee all smokes crack right before voting ;) .
fufanatic, Riz Dawg, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #7215  by gofurman
 Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:28 pm
A BIG concern of mine specific to 2019

Furman is about the ONLY team with only 11 games and TWO FBS games. There are teams with two FBS games but in a 12 game season. Others have 11 game season but only one FBS.

You see where I am going with this... The year right after a hurricane asterisk cut us to 10 games. I just want two shots like EVERYONE else. A SoCon champ AND an at-large shot

There will be a lot of variance next yr w 11 and 12 game seasons. Teams with one or two FBS games. I hate to leave things to the committee

Let's beat CSU and stay in the POLL. !!!

Anyone KNOW when we play Charleston Southern and VT. And Georgia State ?? I have seen different post on this ?
 #7216  by Paul C
 Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:13 am
We open with Chas Southern on 8/31
Va Tech is mid Sept

Bank it.

I also know we have tried to get a 12th game. We were very close with a low level FCS program the would be the equivalent of a D2 and it fell through. Some other geographically "sensible" alternatives were non-responsive after multiple attempts to contact. One said flat out "no". So if we don't have a 12th next year, which seems likely, it's not for a lack of trying.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:59 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.