• CBR Win #135

#67285  by Sad Din
 Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:33 pm
Ties Estes for #3all-time

7 away from Joe Williams. SD believes CBR can tie it this year. 3 Socon tourney wins and 4 to the Natty!
FU Hoopla, dornb, furpop16 and 4 others liked this
 #67369  by FU Hoopla
 Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:40 pm
I wouldn't trade him for any other coach in the country!
 #67370  by Paul C
 Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:58 pm
We almost lost him last year. I’m afraid this off-season we may not be as lucky. No question he deserves it. But let’s enjoy the tournament…..
apaladin liked this
 #67378  by furpop16
 Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:43 am
Paul C wrote:
We almost lost him last year. I’m afraid this off-season we may not be as lucky....

I don’t doubt your assertion about last year. One could hear his frustration in his pleas for improved facilities. Hopefully the big gift has mitigated that concern.

But as for next year, CBR knows he’s got a 70+ win percentage as a developmental coach with a team-oriented offense. In which P-6 program would that play? Or would he just abandon his strength if the check were big enough?
 #67382  by RaleighDin
 Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:38 am
furpop16 wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:43 am
Paul C wrote:
We almost lost him last year. I’m afraid this off-season we may not be as lucky....

I don’t doubt your assertion about last year. One could hear his frustration in his pleas for improved facilities. Hopefully the big gift has mitigated that concern.

But as for next year, CBR knows he’s got a 70+ win percentage as a developmental coach with a team-oriented offense. In which P-6 program would that play? Or would he just abandon his strength if the check were big enough?
Clemson only has 1 transfer on their roster... So while MAYBE they'd want to go a different direction and try someone who has a new style, coach's approach isn't exactly a departure from what Brownell has already been doing. Plus, with the proximity of the schools, you can't tell me there isn't some form of relationship already between their athletic department and coach. Feel free to join me on the Brownell band wagon, need Clemson to finish the year strong :D
bj93 liked this
 #67386  by MNORM
 Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:27 am
Guys like Randy Bennett (St. Mary's-22 seasons), Mark Few (Gonzaga-23 seasons), Rick Byrd (Belmont-33 seasons), Bob McKillop (Davidson-33 years) etc., are in many ways outliers by having success at mid-majors and staying put for the long-term. One thing these schools all share in common is their lack of a scholarship football program (or a program at all). Providing the facilities, salary & incentives, administrative support to keep CBR here at Furman will be a major challenge. I will consider it a huge victory if we can keep him here at Furman for about 10-15 years. This seems to be the longest tenure successful mid-major coaches at schools with football programs stay: Keith Dambrot (Akron-13 seasons), Mike Young (Wofford-16 seasons), Kermit Davis (MTSU-16 seasons).
 #67391  by paladinfan12
 Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:53 am
Love CBR, but Furman needs to prepare for his departure after this season, especially if the team makes the tournament.

I realize he's a local guy and the Clemson job is one that is really appealing, but hopefully they make the tournament and Brownell is retained.

Luckily, our AD is a basketball guy, so I trust the program will still be in goods hands.
bj93, MNORM liked this
 #67633  by Fuonetime
 Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:17 am
After hearing CBR’s interview with Jason and Dan I am encouraged that CBR will return. He seemed very upbeat about the future of FU BB. Of course, it could all change if a big offer and desirable location appears. 2 recent Socon coaches who have gone to Power leagues: Mike Young to VT and Lamont Paris to USC have struggled. Maybe good for us? Nevertheless, CRB is a perfect fit for FU. Let’s do all we can to keep him.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #67946  by FU Hoopla
 Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:58 pm
Bob Richey wins tracker:

142 Joe Williams
137 Bob Richey
 #67966  by Paul C
 Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:14 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:58 pm
Bob Richey wins tracker:

142 Joe Williams
137 Bob Richey
He can pass him this year if we get really hot!!
FU Hoopla, FUBeAR liked this
 #67969  by furpop16
 Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:24 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:14 pm

I'm sure that would be a high honor for CBR to receive. Nevertheless, given what happened to recent awardee Jay McAuley, ya gotta think it might be just as well to pass.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.