• 12:30

#6707  by DeepPurple
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:09 pm
We are Southern Conference Champions, 14th conference title, and our kids and coaches will get a ring.
We played a tough schedule and made one of the all time great turn arounds to a season. We have the majority of our team back next year with a great recruiting class being built for next year.
(Too much politics and $$ involved with selections)
We need to count our blessings,
Happy Thanksgiving!
dornb, FUKA61, AstroDin and 3 others liked this
 #6714  by FUBeAR
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:18 pm
FUPaladins wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:23 pm
Can anybody find a replay of the selection show or tell me what the Commissioner said for why they didn't put us in?
FUPaladins liked this
 #6715  by FUBeAR
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:25 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:36 pm
FUPaladins wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:23 pm
Can anybody find a replay of the selection show or tell me what the Commissioner said for why they didn't put us in?
He said Furman didn’t have the ‘good wins’ that Woff and ETSU has. It was BULLSHT. Wofford beat ETSU. ETSU beat us. We beat Woff. We all lost to Samford

What Woff and ETSU have is MORE wins against teams like PC and Gardner Webb. MORE wins

Think last year. Furman got in at 7-4. No top 25 wins. None. Best win was Colgate at number 30. This year we are 6-4 w a win over top 15 Wofford and good wins Vs Chatt. Better wins in 2018. We got in with MORE wins in 2017 (no real strong wins 2017). They like that 7 win numbr
I believe he was referring to the Co- & Tri-Champions from OTHER Conferences, such the Big Sky & the Southland.

Lamar DESTROYED Kentucky Christian y’know...

Well, they actually did beat 1 other Playoff Team...Incarnate Word...who beat ZERO Playoff Teams & shouldn’t be in either!
AstroDin liked this
 #6717  by AstroDin
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:52 pm
Last thing I'm going to say about this… I have to move on for my sanity.

How did the Southland Conference become the trend?

Lamar got beat 42-0 by Houston, 77-0 by Texas Tech
I guess the wins that got them in; UCA - by the way is the committee chairs school.
SHST another 6-5 team - that I assume they considered a better win than Furman over Chattanooga.
In the end - they wiped out the one Furman quality win -Wofford.
Which is a bit of a contradiction - I might be wrong but I don't see a team that Lamar or Incarnate beat that were anywhere near the quality of Wofford?
 #6719  by DeepPurple
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:05 pm
It almost sounds like we were penalized for playing the #2 team in the FBS and because we could not make up a hurricane game?
The Christmas tree is up.
Last edited by DeepPurple on Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #6720  by apaladin
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:20 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:52 pm
Last thing I'm going to say about this… I have to move on for my sanity.

How did the Southland Conference become the trend?

Lamar got beat 42-0 by Houston, 77-0 by Texas Tech
I guess the wins that got them in; UCA - by the way is the committee chairs school.
SHST another 6-5 team - that I assume they considered a better win than Furman over Chattanooga.
In the end - they wiped out the one Furman quality win -Wofford.
Which is a bit of a contradiction - I might be wrong but I don't see a team that Lamar or Incarnate beat that were anywhere near the quality of Wofford?
Astro, There is no way to justify IW over Furman. IW was #3 in the Southland. They lost to number 1 and 2. They lost to Nichols the number one by 27 points week before last. No way to justify them over FU or any other teams. CCH said he was shocked we did not get in He lamented how the CAA got 6 in also.
 #6726  by FUPaladins
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:39 pm
The best teams that Lamar and Incarnate Word beat finished 6-5. When the Commisioner says Furman only beat Wofford (8-3) that is a bunch of crap. Go blow up his email bteague@uca.edu and ask for a real answer!
FUBeAR, FU69 and 1 others liked this
 #6730  by purplehorse
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:15 pm
Your record of 7 or more wins TRUMPS how good a team is (say 6 wins). It is obvious to me that so much of this is subjective and if you want to get in you have to have a certain number of wins to make sure you are not screwed.

So you can be in the CAA and not play the best teams that year-and beat the weaker teams-and get to
7 wins and get in the playoffs.

I think we should be motivated to not have this happen again next year or in the future.

It is tough when a Southern Conference co-Champion does not make the playoffs. Doesn’t make much sense to me.
Last edited by purplehorse on Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #6756  by MNORM
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:43 am
purplehorse wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:15 pm
Your record of 7 or more wins TRUMPS how good a team is (say 6 wins). It is obvious to me that so much of this is subjective and if you want to get in you have to have a certain number of wins to make sure you are not screwed.

So you can be in the CAA and not play the best teams that year-and beat the weaker teams-and get to
7 wins and get in the playoffs.

I think we should be motivated to not have this happen again next year or in the future.

If is tough when a Southern Conference co-Champion does not make the playoffs. Doesn’t make much sense to me.
This is exactly why we REALLY need that 4th OOC game for next year. There will be many 8-4 and 7-5 teams on the bubble in 2019. If we play another abbreviated schedule we will be at a disadvantage. This obviously doesn't matter if you get the auto-bid...but why start out the season in a hole.
purplehorse liked this
 #6808  by Davemeister
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:58 pm
Let's demand a recount of the ballots. Gotta be a hanging chad or two in there somewhere.
FU69, FUPaladins, dornb and 2 others liked this
 #6821  by FU69
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:51 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:45 pm
Not surprised - noted that ETSU would get in before us. If we had played Colgate and won I think we would be in - that cancellation killed us.

At least there's basketball.
No one would listen to me. I was almost a weather prognosticator when in high school and college. I told everyone I knew that the weather would be acceptable here. We'd have beaten them. They simply did not want to keep their end of the contract, AND we cooperated. Sad, dumb decision by FU.
FUPaladins liked this
 #6822  by gman
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:02 pm
FU69 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:51 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:45 pm
Not surprised - noted that ETSU would get in before us. If we had played Colgate and won I think we would be in - that cancellation killed us.

At least there's basketball.
No one would listen to me. I was almost a weather prognosticator when in high school and college. I told everyone I knew that the weather would be acceptable here. We'd have beaten them. They simply did not want to keep their end of the contract, AND we cooperated. Sad, dumb decision by FU.
You should become the national weather man for the country. Seriously, it was the right call at the time for Colgate. Besides, we controlled our own destiny, not our AD, not Colgate and certainly not the weather. All we had to do is take care of business. It’s no one fault but the team that we missed the playoffs. The sooner we understand that, the sooner we can move on.
Jasper liked this
 #6856  by Paul C
 Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:23 am
Lamar is a 27.5 point underdog at 6-5 Norhern Iowa on Sat.

I guaran-fckin-tee you we wouldn’t be close to that much of an underdog.
Jasper liked this
 #6861  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:45 am
I get it that Furman was a bubble team.

I will not accept that Wofford and ETSU had more "significant wins."

ETSU's best win was over Furman.
dornb liked this
 #6864  by fufanatic
 Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:25 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:45 am
I get it that Furman was a bubble team.

I will not accept that Wofford and ETSU had more "significant wins."

ETSU's best win was over Furman.
This. I'm absolutely more mad at the justification for leaving Furman out and the teams that made it in over us than I am that we actually missed the playoffs. Yes we could have done more, with the obvious being beating ETSU. But there are less than 10 teams in the playoffs now that would have had different results in any of the four games we lost. I'm confident in that. No one would have beaten Clemson. And less than five would have beaten Elon on that day. Maybe only one or two.
dornb liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:59 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.