• Hopefully These Are Over!

#67122  by purplehorse123
 Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:21 am
Despite going 11:30 minutes without a basket in the middle of the second half, Furman never trailed over the final 33 minutes en route to the win.

Above description from Mercer game is pretty similar to the Finals of the Tourney last year when we went cold for a long period in the second half.

We cannot afford these in-game droughts moving forward.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #67142  by Paul C
 Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:49 pm
I feel like teams are sagging off the perimeter, cutting down on our dribble penetration and back door cuts, and daring us to beat them with the three. As I posted in another thread we are only shooting 30% from 3 last few games which accounts for the close games. We shoot 40% and those games are all 3 blowout wins. Also accounts for Bothwell’s minor funk as he isn’t getting as many layups and post ups as earlier in the year.
 #67143  by purplehorse123
 Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:33 pm
Paul C wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:49 pm
I feel like teams are sagging off the perimeter, cutting down on our dribble penetration and back door cuts, and daring us to beat them with the three. As I posted in another thread we are only shooting 30% from 3 last few games which accounts for the close games. We shoot 40% and those games are all 3 blowout wins. Also accounts for Bothwell’s minor funk as he isn’t getting as many layups and post ups as earlier in the year.
Yep regardless of what others may say or think, I predict that we will live or die by the 3. Foster has got to make 3’s. Ditto Pegues, Slawson and Alex. Bothwell if he is hot. Other guys are very inconsistent (Whitt, Vanderwal).

As I have said before, Slawson and Hien should always shoot a couple of 3’s from top of key just to see if they are hot. I HATE to see Slawson hit multiple 3’s early and then pass up absolutely wide open 3’s later in the game-only to have us overpass and end up getting off a terrible shot. When you are hot, shoot the ball !!!!!

I don’t think we are very good at feeding the hot horse. Instead we pass the ball and have a low % shooter clank a 3 off the backboard.
Unless you are having a terrible shooting night, when you are wide open, shoot the 3! And follow up your shot to get the rebound.
 #67145  by jesse174
 Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:14 pm
whatever our tendencies have been recently, change it up so they wont know what we are going to do
 #67148  by FurmAlum
 Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:14 pm
All 3 of the previous posts are spot on. We've also played tight in my opinion the last three games which often leads to poor shooting. The guys want it so bad they are trying too hard.

They key will be to play your best when it counts. No coach was better at achieving this than John Wooden of UCLA back in the day. Or maybe it was because of vastly superior talent.

The bottom line is Coach R has got to get our guys to relax a little on offense and then shoot the ball when a good shot becomes available with no hesitation. And I like the idea of the best 3 point shooters taking most of the shots.
But in the last 8 minutes of the game, focus on taking the ball to the basket.

I am confidant that the effort on D will be there.

One thing in our favor is when we have had these shooting droughts we've hung in there and found a way to win many close games including the last two. The last 3 minutes of the game is Paladin time, and I like our chances tomorrow and in the SoCon Tourney.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #67157  by purplehorse123
 Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:40 am
tim wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:37 pm
Doesn't bode well for a three game tourney.
One game at a time! Go out, lighten up, have fun, don’t press, play like you are capable of and we have a chance.

Play tight and press and it won’t happen.
Roundball liked this
 #67159  by Roundball
 Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:49 am
purplehorse123 wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:40 am
tim wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:37 pm
Doesn't bode well for a three game tourney.
One game at a time! Go out, lighten up, have fun, don’t press, play like you are capable of and we have a chance.

Play tight and press and it won’t happen.
Before The Citadel game, our players and coaches were having fun and playing with freedom of movement. I could see the tightness on the players faces and movements at that game. That tightness and lack of having fun has carried over to the last three games. Hopefully, we will find that joy of simply playing the game today and next weekend. Today is going to be our day. Have fun. Enjoy the moment. Finish strong.
Davemeister, dornb, furpop16 liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:18 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.