• No playodf

#6673  by Jasper
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:17 pm
I am disappointed but understand the reasoning. Apparently the committee did not feel that the SoCon was worthy of 3 spots. That is arguable. That said, it came down to 8-3 ETSU and 6-4 Furman in their minds. ETSU won the head to head in our infamous melt down game and that was that. To put this into perspective, FU would be 1 TD favorites over 40% of the field if Vegas was calling the shots. They dont and that's that.

Good season after a terrible start- share of the SoCon title is some solace. Kudos to Harris Roberts for leading the team back to respectability. He played a great game yesterday. This young team was always a year away from really making some noise in FCS playoffs. In the plaintiff cry of the old Brooklyn Dodgers " wait til next year" and they will be right. Some lessons were learned by everyone this year, players and coaches. The wisdom of Yogi Berra about when a game is over comes to mind in reference to that one horrible quarter of football. I would bet that won't happen on CCH's watch again. Our young players gained valuable experience and will be that much better next year. We are clearly building a program with depth that will endure injuries and unexpected personnel losses. There is a very strong recruiting class coming in plus loads of incentive for the returning bunch to not feel again what they are experiencing today. What is unfortunate is that we are not going to get another few weeks of practice snaps in. That is a big advantage in being a consistant playoff team. But this is a very good football team with excellent coaching and things look bright in the future. I think how far they go next season will depend on the uncertainty of the QB situation. We learned that the QB position in this offense is far from the caretaker/manager position we thought. It is crucial to opening the entire playbook. I am confidant that someone will emerge. Congratulations to Furman football for a very fine season and for winning the league title.
dornb, AstroDin, QCGlue liked this
 #6702  by youwouldno
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:33 pm
Paul C wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:38 pm
Or we can work on strengthening the SoCon. Add Kennesaw St....
They are looking to FBS, plus it would create an odd number for basketball, etc. There's really no solution other than for existing SoCon programs to improve.
 #6721  by Affirm
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:22 pm
Paul C wrote:
What are the chances that Kennesaw State would actually remain in the conference (not jump to FBS) long enough to make it worthwhile for the SoCon to add them? How could those chances be improved? What would be long enough? I would suggest 20+ years. Would they stay that long?
 #6755  by MNORM
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:31 am
affirm wrote:
Paul C wrote:
What are the chances that Kennesaw State would actually remain in the conference (not jump to FBS) long enough to make it worthwhile for the SoCon to add them? How could those chances be improved? What would be long enough? I would suggest 20+ years. Would they stay that long?
They're on a similar trajectory as Coastal Carolina was (minus the millionaire coach).
If they were brought into the SoCon it would likely be for 5 years or so...it's not worth it.
tim liked this
 #6763  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:34 am
MNORM wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:31 am
affirm wrote:
Paul C wrote:
They're on a similar trajectory as Coastal Carolina was (minus the millionaire coach).
If they were brought into the SoCon it would likely be for 5 years or so...it's not worth it.
We used to say the same thing about Jacksonville State. They seemed destined for the jump, but never did.

I don't know what KSU's athletic department wants to do, but quick jumps to the FBS have not exactly been kind to a lot of programs. Seems like 10 years of 2 win football would kill what momentum you might have had. Besides, we may be getting to a point where all of the conference realignment has come to a stop and there may not be a chair for KSU to sit in.

There are a few programs that I think would be worth courting.
 #6773  by fufanatic
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:11 am
purplehorse wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:15 pm

The spokesman on the FCS show said Wofford and ETSU had more significant wins than FU (only significant win was over Wofford). I don’t agree with that at all. I think it had more to do with the # of wins.
So are they telling us that if Furman had gotten auto bid then Wofford would have been left at home? I don't believe that would have happened, but Wofford's best win was over ETSU. They don't have a second good win. Our best win was over Wofford. We don't have a second good win. ETSU's best win was over us. They don't have a second good win. So if you're keeping score at home, we technically have the best win because we beat the auto champ who's hosting a first round playoff game.

Also, Lamar lost to unranked Texas Tech 77-0. Let me repeat, 77-0. We lost to #2 Clemson 48-7. Their other non-conference game was Kentucky Christian, who they beat 70-7. Pretty sure we would have beaten them too. They started 1-4, won 6 in a row, including a win over one playoff team. I can't for the life of me figure out how they made it in over us. Taking away the non-D1 game, which isn't supposed to count, they are 6-4 with an embarrassing loss to an average FBS team and 6 wins over conference opponents. Seems very similar to us, but at least we can point to strength of schedule in non-conference and a cancelled game out of our control. Pretty pathetic job by the committee.
FUpaladin08, MNORM, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #6775  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:28 am
fufanatic wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:11 am
purplehorse wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:15 pm

The spokesman on the FCS show said Wofford and ETSU had more significant wins than FU (only significant win was over Wofford). I don’t agree with that at all. I think it had more to do with the # of wins.
So are they telling us that if Furman had gotten auto bid then Wofford would have been left at home? I don't believe that would have happened, but Wofford's best win was over ETSU. They don't have a second good win. Our best win was over Wofford. We don't have a second good win. ETSU's best win was over us. They don't have a second good win. So if you're keeping score at home, we technically have the best win because we beat the auto champ who's hosting a first round playoff game.

Also, Lamar lost to unranked Texas Tech 77-0. Let me repeat, 77-0. We lost to #2 Clemson 48-7. Their other non-conference game was Kentucky Christian, who they beat 70-7. Pretty sure we would have beaten them too. They started 1-4, won 6 in a row, including a win over one playoff team. I can't for the life of me figure out how they made it in over us. Taking away the non-D1 game, which isn't supposed to count, they are 6-4 with an embarrassing loss to an average FBS team and 6 wins over conference opponents. Seems very similar to us, but at least we can point to strength of schedule in non-conference and a cancelled game out of our control. Pretty pathetic job by the committee.

This 100%, the "committee" is a freaking absolute joke
dornb liked this
 #6778  by FUpaladin08
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:37 am

No way Southland is a better conference than the SoCon this year. I’m baffled they got any at-large picks when Furman and Indiana State are left out.

But my take away from this year is to take care of business. We never should have put ourselves at the mercy of the committee. They aren’t going to give any benefit of the doubt to unranked teams. Finish a winnable game at ETSU and Furman gets the AQ. Unfortunately Furman has more work to do until we get the Wofford treatment alluded to above where an at-large bid is a given if we are 2nd in the conference. That means consistent winning seasons, and not dropping out of the Top 25. We’re on the way with back to back winning seasons, and should have a third next year. Just hope we get some love this offseason and can start the season in or close to the Top 25.
Last edited by FUpaladin08 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jasper, dornb liked this
 #6781  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:53 am
ETSU's only significant win was over Furman. So, go figure that one.

I will say this again. If Furman played Wofford or ETSU's schedule, we'd be an 8 or 9 win team.
bj93, fufanatic, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #6799  by soconjohn
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:31 pm
I am calling conspiracy...How does the CAA get six teams, yet one is seeded...Southland is an absolute renegade joke of a conference...The only reason it has been any good in the past was because of teams like McNeese State and SHSU...Montana State will drill and I am talking drill Incarnate Word...I wish Furman could buy out Iowa State's game on Dec. 1 to play em.
 #6801  by FUBeAR
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:50 pm
I REALLY think what the dude meant was they compared Furman’s wins with OTHER Conference Co-Champions. That was the context of the question. ALL other Conferences’ Co & Tri Champions got in, the SoCon’s Furman didn’t.

Wofford was auto-bid - they were in...no need to look at them

ETSU was 8-3. Their record alone got them in. No need for the Committee to look at who they beat or didn’t. Yeah, they were listed as a bubble team, but ain’t no way a SoCon Team with 8 wins wasn’t IN this year. There were only 2 other 8 win Teams that did not get a bid - Monmouth, who plays in the crappy Big South & gave up over 50 points & got completely blown out by the only 3 decent Teams they played, but were still a Committee “bubble Team”...cuz...8-3. Stetson was 8-2...but, y’know PFL. Mercer was 10-2 in that Conf playing with all FR walk-ons.

So...it’s back to the circular logic of letting Hedley Lamarr in cuz they beat Inconsiderate Word, a Playoff Team...that beat no playoff Teams. You can also look at The Big Lie - UC Davis ...the #6 seed as an at-large with a 9-2 record. Awesome, right? Not so much...their only win over a Playoff Team was San Diego (See “Stetson” above). Oh yeah...can’t forget about their amazing win over a 1-10 FBS Team with a lower Massey Rating than Furman...even lower than Inconsiderate Word’s.

So...IMO...that garbage was the garbage that the #^<~%€<£ing Committee used to decide that Furman’s win over Wofford (rated higher than UIW, San Jose State, and Lamar) was ‘not worthy.’
 #6803  by MNORM
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:01 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
I REALLY think what the dude meant was they compared Furman’s wins with OTHER Conference Co-Champions. That was the context of the question. ALL other Conferences’ Co & Tri Champions got in, the SoCon’s Furman didn’t.

ETSU was 8-3. Their record alone got them in. No need for the Committee to look at who they beat or didn’t. Yeah, they were listed as a bubble team, but ain’t no way a SoCon Team with 8 wins wasn’t IN this year. There were only 2 other 8 win Teams that did not get a bid - Monmouth, who plays in the crappy Big South & gave up over 50 points & got completely blown out by the only 3 decent Teams they played, but were still a Committee “bubble Team”...cuz...8-3. Stetson was 8-2...but, y’know PFL. Mercer was 10-2 in that Conf playing with all FR walk-ons.

So...it’s back to the circular logic of letting Hedley Lamarr in cuz they beat Inconsiderate Word, a Playoff Team...that beat no playoff Teams. You can also look at The Big Lie - UC Davis ...the #6 seed as an at-large with a 9-2 record. Awesome, right? Not so much...their only win over a Playoff Team was San Diego (See “Stetson” above). Oh yeah...can’t forget about their amazing win over a 1-10 FBS Team with a lower Massey Rating than Furman...even lower than Inconsiderate Word’s.

So...IMO...that garbage was the garbage that the #^<~%€<£ing Committee used to decide that Furman’s win over Wofford (rated higher than UIW, San Jose State, and Lamar) was ‘not worthy.’
#CoachesPoll
 #6804  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:05 pm
FUBeAR wrote:

Correct, any answer they give is just gonna be pure BS spin because we all know without a shred of doubt FU had the better resume

Recent Topics

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:59 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.