• 2023 SoCon Basketball Tournament (March 3-6 Asheville)

#66755  by Furmanoid
 Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:45 am
Sad Din wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:13 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:08 pm
furpop16 wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:19 pm
I should clarify "Didn't happen" means no appreciable drop-off from prior year(s).
Do you really think we are better than last year? Seems like Bothwell and Slawson are about the same. Hien is a little better. Who is it that is an improvement over Hunter and Garrison? I think we have taken a slight step back.

If we are really getting better every year going back as far as you’re going shouldn’t we be in the top 20 by now?

Going forward we are at the mercy of the other SoCon programs. If they embrace NIL and we don’t it will be tough to win many championships.
Guess the consistent 20 win seasons doesnt mean much
Means we’re good. But I’m still trying to figure out how we aren’t going to miss Bothwell and Slawson.
Davemeister liked this
 #66756  by FurmAlum
 Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:44 am
We will certainly miss Bothwell and Slawson, but a team of Pegues, Whitt, Foster, Hughey, Williams, Hien, Vanderwal, Anderson, (Lawrence, Molnar, Repass, 2 incoming freshman as unknown factors) with another year of maturity could be a good team.

There would be no stars, but sometimes that's a good thing. I do see Pegues and Williams as emerging future all-SoCon players.

We will find out how good this year's team really is from Mar. 4-6.
FU Hoopla, Davemeister liked this
 #66844  by The Jackal
 Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:25 am
FurmAlum wrote:
We will certainly miss Bothwell and Slawson, but a team of Pegues, Whitt, Foster, Hughey, Williams, Hien, Vanderwal, Anderson, (Lawrence, Molnar, Repass, 2 incoming freshman as unknown factors) with another year of maturity could be a good team.

There would be no stars, but sometimes that's a good thing. I do see Pegues and Williams as emerging future all-SoCon players.

We have this conversation a lot. We lose key guys every season to graduation, and yet still put a good product on the court. There’s a real pipeline with this team that is both talented and deep.
FU Hoopla, dornb liked this
 #66850  by FU Hoopla
 Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:51 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:25 am
FurmAlum wrote:

We have this conversation a lot. We lose key guys every season to graduation, and yet still put a good product on the court. There’s a real pipeline with this team that is both talented and deep.

It really does come up every year lol

Unless we actually fall flat at some point (which I don't foresee) we all may as well just assume its going to be a RELOAD and run it back every season!

#66925  by paladinfan12
 Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:16 pm
I went to the ones in Chattanooga and Charlotte - and they were fun - but Asheville is the best location. Central to most teams and a pretty neat downtown.

Only place better would be Greenville - more hotels, larger downtown, nicer arena, and a little easier to get charter buses to.
Roundball, FU Hoopla, dornb liked this
 #66927  by apaladin
 Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:14 pm
Roundball wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:17 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:53 am
So this is year 2 of that 5 year contract

Good news. Asheville is a great place to visit and is perfect for the SoCon, although the arena could use some improvements.
I’ve always found Asheville’s downtown dirty and uninviting with no police presence.
 #66977  by Roundball
 Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:10 pm
For those that subscribe to The Athletic, "Bracket Breakers 2023: 6 potential Cinderella teams that first must win their conference tournaments." https://theathletic.com/4240954/2023/02 ... urnaments/

Summary:
1. "Our model adores Furman."
2. "The Paladins are a hyper-efficient groups of gunslingers."
3. However, "they rank only 179th in the country in adjusted defensive efficiency, and other than solid defensive rebounding, they don’t do much to generate extra possessions at that end."
4. "If this is finally their time to dance, they have the tools to stick around for a while."
furpop16, FU Hoopla liked this
 #66982  by MidlandsPaladin
 Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:56 pm
Roundball wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:10 pm
For those that subscribe to The Athletic, "Bracket Breakers 2023: 6 potential Cinderella teams that first must win their conference tournaments." https://theathletic.com/4240954/2023/02 ... urnaments/

Summary:
1. "Our model adores Furman."
2. "The Paladins are a hyper-efficient groups of gunslingers."
3. However, "they rank only 179th in the country in adjusted defensive efficiency, and other than solid defensive rebounding, they don’t do much to generate extra possessions at that end."
4. "If this is finally their time to dance, they have the tools to stick around for a while."
Tells us what we already know...we will go as far as our defense takes us.
FU Hoopla liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:59 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.