• 12:30

#6664  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:49 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:12 pm
The field was not determined accurately but let's also not kid ourselves here, the Paladins are not a top 15 team and are borderline top 25 . . . and would have had zero chance at a deep run/championship.
Zero chance at a title doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be on playoffs !!! Incarnate Word has zero chance at title and is in playoffs with Lamar etc. those two are far worse than Furman. The FCS playoff is about 10 autobids AND next 14 teams ... not about inviting only teams that can beat NDSU
 #6666  by Yadkin
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:52 pm
CAA scheduling shell game continues well into its second decade (they have to be laughing at the rest of FCS).

The coaches poll is a tee-total joke. Has been for years. Coaches flat vote for their own teams and conferences. All it takes is for one guy to attempt objectivity and his league gets screwed.
 #6667  by youwouldno
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:56 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:49 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:12 pm
The field was not determined accurately but let's also not kid ourselves here, the Paladins are not a top 15 team and are borderline top 25 . . . and would have had zero chance at a deep run/championship.
Zero chance at a title doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be on playoffs !!! Incarnate Word has zero chance at title and is in playoffs with Lamar etc. those two are far worse than Furman. The FCS playoff is about 10 autobids AND next 14 teams ... not about inviting only teams that can beat NDSU
I completely agree, the selection was unfair, though actually Lamar is a massively worse pick than Incarnate Word (who is at least slightly arguable).

My point is just that the program isn't where it needs to be . . . it was good to finish the season strong, but even against Mercer, it was a pretty uneven performance.
 #6670  by Paladin91
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:04 pm
Not sure why people are surprised here. We weren't very good through the first few games and put together a string late, but still not playoff caliber in my opinion. UNI got in with a big upset of Iowa St. - they got more credit for that than our win over Wofford.
 #6671  by purplehorse
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:09 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:41 pm
WC and ETSU OOC wins were PC/Gardner-Webb and Mars Hill/Gardner-Webb respectively. Obviously playing a good schedule means nothing.
That in part shows why the Southern Conference gets no respect. As a whole the Southern Conference teams need to be playing better OOC teams.

And the # of wins is obviously important regardless of who you play apparently?
 #6674  by gman
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:21 pm
Could it be that 24 teams is too many for the field?
 #6681  by apaladin
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:47 pm
It's bad enough for us fans but I really feel for CCH, coaches and players, especially the seniors that worked so hard to turn the season around. Good job!!
dornb, FUBeAR, FU69 liked this
 #6683  by FUpaladin08
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:52 pm
That in part shows why the Southern Conference gets no respect. As a whole the Southern Conference teams need to be playing better OOC teams.
Not sure if anyone knows, but do teams schedule games independent of each other or does the conference have any sway? Obviously setting up routine games with the CAA and OVC would make sense to boost the conference schedule and for geographic reasons. But Furman can’t help it when other SoCon teams schedule the bottom feeders in the Big South. Now winning those games is another thing, but just wondering if the SoCon can encourage better scheduling.
 #6685  by AstroDin
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:38 pm
Based on Clay's comments he expected Furman to make the playoffs… as he should but he actually said shocked.
The stunning part of this whole thing is that Furman wasn't even in the list of the first three out - even though they we're co-conference champs.

I would love to listen to the convo Mike Buddie has with the Western AD.

Well, I have no doubt The Paladins best days are ahead… I'm frustrated for the players and the coaches they deserved better. Let's sign the guys committed and grab a few others and have a great off-season - then blow the doors off CSU.
FUBeAR, dornb, QCGlue liked this
 #6688  by FUPaladins
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:23 pm
Can anybody find a replay of the selection show or tell me what the Commissioner said for why they didn't put us in?
 #6689  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:30 pm
JohnW wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:52 pm
I'm not surprised. September counts and not being able to schedule a make-up game hurt too. If possible Furman should do that now to get the extra practice. BTW, I thought Incarnate Word opted out of the playoffs for a money game.
This. SEPTEMBER COUNTS. Let’s play good teams but quit with the Clemson and two top ten FCS. That makes it so we have to either win the SoCon outright or go at least 7-1. And to those that say to be the best you have to beat the best .. so you want to schedule NDSU Clemson and JMU? :shock: That will
Allow basically no losses or injuries the rest of the year.

It’s becoming even more obvious after today - despite what they say, look at who they PICKED, - that they like 7 wins. That really helps. I DONT like having 2 FBS next year. I hope the other 2 are much easier FCS. Unforytunatwly, 2-2 would be the best start in years for us. After this last year 0-3 and a hurricane I just want a win or 2 in September. Any win. Because I thought we could play w Elon. I was big time wrong.
Last edited by gofurman on Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #6692  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:36 pm
FUPaladins wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:23 pm
Can anybody find a replay of the selection show or tell me what the Commissioner said for why they didn't put us in?
He said Furman didn’t have the ‘good wins’ that Woff and ETSU has. It was BULLSHT. Wofford beat ETSU. ETSU beat us. We beat Woff. We all lost to Samford

What Woff and ETSU have is MORE wins against teams like PC and Gardner Webb. MORE wins

Think last year. Furman got in at 7-4. No top 25 wins. None. Best win was Colgate at number 30. This year we are 6-4 w a win over top 15 Wofford and good wins Vs Chatt. Better wins in 2018. We got in with MORE wins in 2017 (no real strong wins 2017). They like that 7 win numbr
FUPaladins, fupaladin01 liked this
 #6694  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:46 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:04 pm
Not sure why people are surprised here. We weren't very good through the first few games and put together a string late, but still not playoff caliber in my opinion. UNI got in with a big upset of Iowa St. - they got more credit for that than our win over Wofford.
Surprised that teams w 6 wins from SOUTHLAND got in. That’s the WAC/MAC of FCS. Example. Last year McNeese State was 9-2 in southland and did Not get in. What great thing did Southland do that now a 6 win southland team gets in? Really. I am asking. What did the southland do to where a 9 win team can’t get in in 2017 and now - one yr later - a SIX win team gets in from same conference ??

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:59 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.