• Furman @ Citadel (Feb. 15th 7pm)

#66518  by furpop16
 Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:53 pm
silentbob wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:50 pm
We played pretty damn well for the next nine games after our last loss. No reason that can't happen again.

From your words to God's eyes. Let's do it.
silentbob liked this
 #66520  by apaladin
 Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:57 pm
furpop16 wrote:
silentbob wrote:
We played pretty damn well for the next nine games after our last loss. No reason that can't happen again.

It was 8 games not 9 but point taken. Just afraid this demoralizing loss will carry over like last year. It will be up to the coaching staff to have them ready and realize this loss doesn’t end the quest for a regular season title. The next 3 games will determine that. Unusual results are more common in basketball than any other sport. Top 10 Virginia won by 3 at 3-23 Louisville tonight. Congrats to the Citadel but I would rather be in our shoes than theirs. They have zero chance of winning the tournament, FU has at least a chance.
furpop16 liked this
 #66521  by FU Hoopla
 Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:09 pm
apaladin wrote:
furpop16 wrote:
silentbob wrote:

It was 8 games not 9 but point taken. Just afraid this demoralizing loss will carry over like last year. It will be up to the coaching staff to have them ready and realize this loss doesn’t end the quest for a regular season title. The next 3 games will determine that. Unusual results are more common in basketball than any other sport. Top 10 Virginia won by 3 at 3-23 Louisville tonight. Congrats to the Citadel but I would rather be in our shoes than theirs. They have zero chance of winning the tournament, FU has at least a chance.

3 wins to a regular season title........

Then 3 more wins to a tourney title...............

furpop16 liked this
 #66522  by FurmAlum
 Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:32 pm
Agree AP, basketball is an unpredictable game. Like everyone else I thought we would win this game by 20-25 points. But Citadel showed me something tonight. If they play like this, they will win more than 1 game in the SoCon tournament. They only lost to Sammy at Sammy by 6.

We got off to a good start on offense but the D in the first half was terrible. They drove down inside every play and got right to the rim and just layed it in over and over. That's nothing but lack of effort and no help on D on our part. I thought after about 6 minutes of that BR should have called a TO and chewed some ass big time, including the stars.
Maybe even bench a few players to set the tone.

The D was better in the second half, we started getting some stops. But then our execution on O went bad. Players started trying to do it all by themselves instead of trusting teammates.

When you drive into the lane and get stopped and there's three guys on you, guess what, the other two are open. Find them damn it. Shots not falling on the road is nothing new. Good teams win anyway.

I know you can't play great every game but gosh it pisses me off to lose to the second worse team in the league.

Opponents have figured out the way to beat Furman is to sag on D with lot's of help especially on Slaw and Both, and make us shoot 3's. When we're hitting they get blown out, when we're not they have a chance. That's what VMI tried to do unsuccessfully and a couple other team's too.

Time to regroup. We can still win our last 3 games and we can still win the SoCon Tourney.
Last edited by FurmAlum on Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FU Hoopla, FUBF24 liked this
 #66525  by fu77fan
 Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:38 pm
It was a team loss for sure. Too many missed open shots, too many turnovers, too much dribbling, too many missed free throws, etc.
We likewise gave Citadel too many easy shots around the basket, and did not play good defense.
Despite all of that, we probably win the game if not for the, IMO , the bad charging call against Bothwell.
IMO, we need to feel the pain, learn from it, and move forward. We still control our own destiny.

GO DINS
 #66527  by apaladin
 Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:31 pm
Speaking of Bothwell, I wonder if he was sick or something. Only took 5 shots the whole game(2-5, 6 points). Very unusual. Prolly not going to win many with MB and MF scoring 6 each,
 #66533  by Affirm
 Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:21 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:09 pm
apaladin wrote:
furpop16 wrote:
silentbob wrote:

3 wins to a regular season title........

Then 3 more wins to a tourney title...............

Then at least 1 more after that………………..
FU Hoopla liked this
 #66534  by Affirm
 Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:23 am
FurmAlum wrote:
Agree AP, basketball is an unpredictable game. Like everyone else I thought we would win this game by 20-25 points. But Citadel showed me something tonight. If they play like this, they will win more than 1 game in the SoCon tournament. They only lost to Sammy at Sammy by 6.

We got off to a good start on offense but the D in the first half was terrible. They drove down inside every play and got right to the rim and just layed it in over and over. That's nothing but lack of effort and no help on D on our part. I thought after about 6 minutes of that BR should have called a TO and chewed some ass big time, including the stars.
Maybe even bench a few players to set the tone.

The D was better in the second half, we started getting some stops. But then our execution on O went bad. Players started trying to do it all by themselves instead of trusting teammates.

When you drive into the lane and get stopped and there's three guys on you, guess what, the other two are open. Find them damn it. Shots not falling on the road is nothing new. Good teams win anyway.

I know you can't play great every game but gosh it pisses me off to lose to the second worse team in the league.

Opponents have figured out the way to beat Furman is to sag on D with lot's of help especially on Slaw and Both, and make us shoot 3's. When we're hitting they get blown out, when we're not they have a chance. That's what VMI tried to do unsuccessfully and a couple other team's too.

Time to regroup. We can still win our last 3 games and we can still win the SoCon Tourney.
As I said, we can also still win at least 1 more AFTER we win the SoCon Tournament.
We can lose 1, 2, or all 3 of our last 3 regular season games and STILL win the SoCon Tournament and STILL win 1 (or >1) game(s) in the NCAA Tournament. Some time along the way after March 6 we could begin getting labelled “a Cinderella” - not yet though. We are going to win on March 6.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #66536  by stonemd
 Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:35 am
If we had to lose 1 game it is much better to lose to a team w a poor conference record to preserve tie breaks. Regular season champs and #1 seed both attainable.

If we win 1 game in the NCAA tourney why not 2? If 13 beats 4 they face 6 or 11. If 14 beats 3 they play 5 or 12.
 #66537  by Davemeister
 Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:01 am
The trouble with winning streaks is that they always end.

Maybe this "L" was something Furman had to get out of its system. We sucked last night and that's that. It's over.

Now let's win the next 8 - or more.
FU Hoopla, apaladin, dornb liked this
 #66551  by saltyshaker
 Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:59 am
thanks to sammy beating uncg wr still have a shot at reg season championship and 1 seed.perhaps the loss will be a wakeup call and not a blueprint for other teams to beat us.the one seed is critical for the tourny assuming 1.2 and 3 all make the semis.there are 3 really good teams in the conference.to win the tourny a 2 or 3 seed needs to beat both the other two to win it ,whereas the one seed only has to beat one of the other 2.
let's regroup and work to reach our regular season and ncaa goals.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #66552  by furpop16
 Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:41 am
saltyshaker wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:59 am
perhaps the loss will be a wakeup call and not a blueprint for other teams to beat us.

CBR & Asst's have gotta expect every FU opponent will now scrutinize film from last night. So we reverse engineer the Bulldog game-plan along the lines from FurmAlum, above:
FurmAlum wrote:
Opponents have figured out the way to beat Furman is to sag on D with lot's of help especially on Slaw and Both, and make us shoot 3's. When we're hitting they get blown out, when we're not they have a chance.

Need a faster adjustment when we get lulled into playing in a coma.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #66553  by palafan
 Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:43 am
FurmAlum wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:08 pm
Citadel played great tonight. We were out hustled, outsmarted, out shot, out coached, and outplayed. What else can you say. We choked too.
Coaches had them prepared to mail it in.
 #66671  by apaladin
 Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:30 am
palafan wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:43 am
FurmAlum wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:08 pm
Citadel played great tonight. We were out hustled, outsmarted, out shot, out coached, and outplayed. What else can you say. We choked too.
Coaches had them prepared to mail it in.
Most point to the defense but Citadel only scored 65 points. If you play the Citadel and hold them to 65 you should win every time. The offense is what cost us this game by scoring 20+ points below the average. Don’t be surprised if WC wins by double digits today in Charleston.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.