• THE FINAL STRETCH- 3 TOP TEAMS SCHEDULES-UPDATED 6 TO GO

#66383  by stonemd
 Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:42 pm
Got my ticket for @ Samford
Got my all-session tix for AVL

There a 3 losses that will be distributed between the top 3
Assuming no losses to lower tier teams

If Furman wins out - Furman is #1 seed. Furman holds tiebreak over Samford and UNCG (Furman 2-0 v Samford)

If Samford wins out - they are #1 seed and holds tie break over Furman and UNCG (Samford 2-0 v UNCG)

If Furman loses to Samford and
Samford loses to UNCG - UNCG #1 seed but top 3 are 1-1 vs each other. In this case tie break would depend on ranking of WCU (beat Furman), Wofford (beat Samford) and team that might beat UNCG (UTC, WCU, ETSU)

Of course the top 3 may lose an additional game to the lower tier.

Chances of winning (Ken Pom)

Furman
@Citadel 87%
ETSU 90%
Mercer 90%

UNCG
@UTC 55%
WCU 82%
@ETSU 66%

Samford
@VMI 81%
@UTC 45%

UTC might be the spoiler especially if Stephens comes back before the tournament. Also if UTC wins vs UNCG or Samford they may end up ranked higher than WCU (which is good for Furman).
Last edited by stonemd on Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FU Hoopla, Davemeister liked this
 #66417  by furpop16
 Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:44 am
stonemd wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:17 am
Root for
ETSU over WCU
Wofford over Mercer
Chatt over VMI

Not sure who we want to win UNCG - Samford

I’m for Samford, tonight. FU can then settle everything on the court in Homewood-Birmingham.
FU Hoopla, FUpaladin08 liked this
 #66418  by apaladin
 Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:48 am
Don’t think it really matters who wins the SU/UNCG. If FU wins the next 3 they will still be playing for the championship at Samford. Only way that is not the case is if both SU and UNCG lose 2 of their next 3 which has zero chance of happening.
 #66421  by stonemd
 Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:06 pm
If Furman loses to Samford scenarios where we still are #1 seed

Samford over UNCG, but loses to UTC and VMI - unlikely.

UNCG over Samford. Samford needs to lose at UTC. Now UNCG needs to lose a game.

If they lose to UTC sets up as above w Western needing to lose @Mercer so UTC finished ranked ahead of WCU

If they lose to ETSU, ETSU needs to beat WCU. Because Western wins tiebreaks vs ETSU, Western also needs to lose @Mercer.

If they lose to Western and win out Furman and UNCG have identical resume and Furman gets #1 seed due to higher NET.

So root for UTC to win, Western to lose. Root for anyone to beat Samford and UNCG. I think we should root for UNCG over Samford

Check my work!
 #66427  by stonemd
 Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:28 pm
Tiebreakers used are 1) head-to-head results, 2) comparison of records against individual teams in the conference starting with the top-ranked team and working down and 3) NCAA NET rankings on the first available report after the regular season is complete.

Furman at 82, UNCG at 108
 #66428  by apaladin
 Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:36 pm
Like I said it will come down to a must win at SU. All these other scenarios are not happening. We are not in good shape with tiebreakers. With that said I guess it would be better for SU to win tonight and that would at least give us the tiebreaker over uncg for second place(if lose st SU) as uncg would be 0-2 vs SU and FU would be 1-1.
 #66530  by apaladin
 Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:11 am
With the UNCG loss to Samford tonight it pretty much eliminates them as they lose any tiebreak scenarios with Furman or Samford. Among the 3 teams UNCG only has one win in their 4 games with FU and SU, while both FU and SU both already have 2 wins each among the others. For UNCG to now get the top seed they would have to win their last 3 and FU would have to lose one more and SU would have to lose 2 more. FU could still fnish first, second or third. Funny that of the 3 top teams uncg is the only one that has not lost to a lower place team. SU has one loss and FU has 2 to lower place teams.
 #66535  by Affirm
 Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:47 am
furpop16 wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:44 am
stonemd wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:17 am
Root for
ETSU over WCU
Wofford over Mercer
Chatt over VMI

Not sure who we want to win UNCG - Samford

I’m for Samford, tonight. FU can then settle everything on the court in Homewood-Birmingham.
FU can and will settle everything on the court in Asheville. FU and SU will not meet again in the 2023 NCAA Tournament.
furpop16 liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:18 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.