gman wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:55 pm
MNORM wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:52 pm
gman wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:51 pm
MNORM wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:47 pm
This is what happens when you have a committee using the Coaches Poll as a gauge. Incarnate Word AND Lamar in makes this playoff field a complete joke.
No, it’s what happens when a team does not take care of business.
Do you follow all of FCS or just the SoCon? The Southland does not deserve 3 playoff bids. Indiana State was screwed too.
I don’t care about the other conferences. Give me your argument as to why my comment is not valid.
Never said your comment was invalid. That said, I can come up with 50 arguments that are "valid".
Fact is, 3 teams got in that A) Also didn't take care of business and B) two are from are from an awful conference.
The top half of the bracket is stacked...bottom half is a dumpster fire with teams we'd beat handily. The committee used the Coaches Poll for guidance for the first time this year, and it shows. The selection show isn't even over yet, and the consensus is that the committee screwed up this years bracket...we got Woffed. Indiana State got royally hosed too.
Last edited by MNORM on Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fupaladin01 liked this
 #6634  by Paladin91
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:07 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:03 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:57 pm
Basically, no one fought for Furman… it was just brought up that Furman was a co-champion but the head of the committee said Wofford was basically our only quality win. Shame on the committee.
And...he said they compared FU’s win over Wofford against the wins of “the other co and tri champions and decided FU was not as deserving as those teams.”

Lamar, UNI, and Montana St. (may be others) were not Co or tri champions. Was FU NOT compared against them before being eliminated from consideration?

Being a co-conference champion has no bearing - all about top competition you won against.
 #6635  by MNORM
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:08 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
AstroDin wrote:
Basically, no one fought for Furman… it was just brought up that Furman was a co-champion but the head of the committee said Wofford was basically our only quality win. Shame on the committee.
And...he said they compared FU’s win over Wofford against the wins of “the other co and tri champions and decided FU was not as deserving as those teams.”

Lamar, UNI, and Montana St. (may be others) were not Co or tri champions. Was FU NOT compared against them before being eliminated from consideration?

Being a co-conference champion has no bearing - all about top competition you won against.
...which doesn't explain how both Incarnate Word and Lamar got in. #CoachesPoll
 #6637  by Davemeister
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:09 pm
Now the Furman Faithful can fall back on the age-old battle-crys of Sports Fans: "WE WUZ ROBBED!!!" and "WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR!!!"
 #6639  by apaladin
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:11 pm
Incarnate Word finished strong. They were 3-2 their last 5 games and lost to the other 2 SL teams that got in. They are good they only lost to Nichols by 4 touchdowns 2 weeks ago.
 #6640  by youwouldno
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:12 pm
The field was not determined accurately but let's also not kid ourselves here, the Paladins are not a top 15 team and are borderline top 25 . . . and would have had zero chance at a deep run/championship.
 #6641  by FUBeAR
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:13 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
AstroDin wrote:

Thank you for your thoughts. Don’t know, but don’t think you are on the committee.

The Chairman of the Committee just said live on National TV how & why they decided to eliminate Furman. And what he said sure doesn’t follow anything that I heard on that video they released about their process.

Jackal...you know any lawyers? I heard grounds for a lawsuit there. It’s the thing to do these days, y’know.
fupaladin01 liked this
 #6642  by Paul C
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:14 pm
Maybe this provides a little extra motivation in the offseason. Can’t screw around early in the year and expect a strong finish to bail us out.

Winning a share of the SoCon Title but sitting at home in the playoffs....an unprecedented feeling for us.
AstroDin, dornb liked this
 #6644  by FUBeAR
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:19 pm
youwouldno wrote:
The field was not determined accurately but let's also not kid ourselves here, the Paladins are not a top 15 team and are borderline top 25 . . . and would have had zero chance at a deep run/championship.
14th in my AGS ballot this week...and 21st in the overall AGS...the 11th Team IN

“...zero chance at a deep run/championship.” ...sez you, certainly not the opinion of all.
AstroDin liked this
 #6645  by Davemeister
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:20 pm
Beats sitting at home with a losing season and NO share of the Pie.
 #6647  by Paladin91
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:21 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:13 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
AstroDin wrote:

Thank you for your thoughts. Don’t know, but don’t think you are on the committee.

The Chairman of the Committee just said live on National TV how & why they decided to eliminate Furman. And what he said sure doesn’t follow anything that I heard on that video they released about their process.

Jackal...you know any lawyers? I heard grounds for a lawsuit there. It’s the thing to do these days, y’know.
Lawsuit? Bear must be a dumbocrat. :-)
 #6648  by Paladin91
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:22 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
youwouldno wrote:
14th in my AGS ballot this week...and 21st in the overall AGS...the 11th Team IN

“...zero chance at a deep run/championship.” ...sez you, certainly not the opinion of all.
Unfortunately, AGS is meaningless. Guess you didn't realize it's the Coaches Poll that matters.
 #6649  by MNORM
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:23 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
youwouldno wrote:

17th in my AGS poll submission. Certainly not he consensus of the AGS voters and posters. We were WOFFED. While the AGS may be meaningless in terms of the selection committee, it is hands down the most knowledgeable group of FCS followers in the country.
Let's use this as motivation for next season.
fupaladin01 liked this
 #6655  by purplehorse
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:33 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:47 pm
When Incarnate Word came up first at 6-4 I knew we didn't make it. Goes to show the committee doesn't look that hard at bubble teams.
Yep I do not think they look at trajectory in the season. I don’t think they pay any attention to injuries. Truthfully the Southern Conference teams need to start beating out-of-Conference teams. And to beat good OOC teams you need to play them. Beating the weaker teams in the Big South won’t cut it.

To me the biggest message is # 1 no respect for Southern Conference and # 2 we need to start winning early in the season.
 #6659  by apaladin
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:41 pm
WC and ETSU OOC wins were PC/Gardner-Webb and Mars Hill/Gardner-Webb respectively. Obviously playing a good schedule means nothing.
dornb liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.