• Iowa State December 1st

#6636  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:09 pm
So Incarnate Word will not be playing them, can we pick this game up, get some money and more experience :!:
 #6638  by MNORM
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:11 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:09 pm
So Incarnate Word will not be playing them, can we pick this game up, get some money and more experience :!:
Love the way you're thinking.
 #6669  by Affirm
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:02 pm
If not Iowa State - which I agree would be very unlikely though great if it could happen - then what about us arranging a December 1 game versus Presbyterian College, or against some FCS or D2 that had a game cancelled. Would not the NCAA allow us and such a team to get together since we had a game cancelled on us? Any such team available within 300 miles?
 #6675  by gman
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:24 pm
If I was the AD, an extra game would only be played if we can make some money off it. Playing a weakling like PC or a D2 team in front of 2,000 fans is not worth it.
MNORM liked this
 #6677  by Affirm
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:37 pm
gman wrote:
If I was the AD, an extra game would only be played if we can make some money off it. Playing a weakling like PC or a D2 team in front of 2,000 fans is not worth it.
I get that. I really do.
On the other hand, do we make money, or do we lose money, when we have playoff games?
What about the value of the "additional experience and additional playing time"? That's what I keep reading about as a big negative of us not getting into the playoffs but other teams getting in that are seemingly no more deserving than we are.
 #6686  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:10 pm
affirm wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:37 pm
gman wrote:
I get that. I really do.
On the other hand, do we make money, or do we lose money, when we have playoff games?
What about the value of the "additional experience and additional playing time"? That's what I keep reading about as a big negative of us not getting into the playoffs but other teams getting in that are seemingly no more deserving than we are.

Playing a road playoff game is break even, expenses covered

Playing at Iowa St. you would think would be a decent paycheck
 #6767  by JohnW
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:24 am
Money game makes sense for the bottom line. A home game with a D2 or other FCS that had a game cancelled would be fun for me. Either way it makes sense for the extra practice time. I do think even if the admin could pull it off it should ultimately be a team decision.
 #6769  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:49 am
JohnW wrote:
Money game makes sense for the bottom line. A home game with a D2 or other FCS that had a game cancelled would be fun for me. Either way it makes sense for the extra practice time. I do think even if the admin could pull it off it should ultimately be a team decision.
Might be a pipe dream, but Iowa State already circled a date for that game. They were going to pay an FCS school to come there. We had a game cancelled. That'd be a nice send off to the season.
bj93 and 1 others liked this
 #6770  by fufanatic
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:57 am
The Jackal wrote:
JohnW wrote:
Might be a pipe dream, but Iowa State already circled a date for that game. They were going to pay an FCS school to come there. We had a game cancelled. That'd be a nice send off to the season.
I'm curious when the Incarnate Word game would be cancelled? If IWU loses Saturday, do they still go to Iowa State?

I can't see us playing any more football this year just to add in my two cents.
 #6776  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:31 am
fufanatic wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:57 am
The Jackal wrote:
JohnW wrote:
I'm curious when the Incarnate Word game would be cancelled? If IWU loses Saturday, do they still go to Iowa State?

I can't see us playing any more football this year just to add in my two cents.

Incarnate Word cannot play that game after accepting a bid to playoffs, so Iowa State should have that game open for someone else
 #6777  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:33 am
The Jackal wrote:
JohnW wrote:

Give the team thanksgiving off, come back and practice next week, fly out to Iowa and play a Big12 team and get a nice paycheck, maybe even put a scare into them

Recent Topics

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:59 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.