• Transfers

#66232  by Afurmanfan
 Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:09 pm
A couple of potential incoming transfers at basketball game today. One running back/slot back from East Carolina and a tight end from Duke. Sounds like we are high on their list of potential news homes.
apaladin, dornb liked this
 #66254  by FUBeAR
 Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:30 am
Afurmanfan wrote:
A couple of potential incoming transfers at basketball game today. One running back/slot back from East Carolina and a tight end from Duke. Sounds like we are high on their list of potential news homes.
SU Dog says that TE is a lock to go to Samford and play in front of <2000 home ‘crowds’ every week…

SU DOG
All-American
Feb 7, 2023 at 12:40pm

Consensus 3*** out of HS and ranked around top 50 TEs in the nation. ACL surgery in 2021 limited his production with the Blue Devils, but he was projected to be a starter by one source. Good size and makes good catches. He will have two years, and could I guess, possibly get three years of eligibility left if the injury year was granted. He is from Massachusetts, so location would not be a selling point, he does have numerous other offers but from his twitter posts I think we are high on his list. I hope we get him as he definitely could help us.

goduke.com/sports/football/roster/matt-smith/18108
 #66258  by AstroDin
 Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:38 am
I'm guessing this is the ECU WR/RB looking at Furman…
 #66259  by The Jackal
 Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:00 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:30 am
Afurmanfan wrote:
SU Dog says that TE is a lock to go to Samford and play in front of <2000 home ‘crowds’ every week…

SU DOG
All-American
Feb 7, 2023 at 12:40pm

Consensus 3*** out of HS and ranked around top 50 TEs in the nation. ACL surgery in 2021 limited his production with the Blue Devils, but he was projected to be a starter by one source. Good size and makes good catches. He will have two years, and could I guess, possibly get three years of eligibility left if the injury year was granted. He is from Massachusetts, so location would not be a selling point, he does have numerous other offers but from his twitter posts I think we are high on his list. I hope we get him as he definitely could help us.

goduke.com/sports/football/roster/matt-smith/18108

Samford had only three players listed at TE on their roster. In 2022, they combined for 2 receptions for 11 yards. Their QB attempted 461 passes.

Honestly, if Furman adds a big TE that can move to this roster - look out.
FUBeAR, dornb, AstroDin liked this
 #66269  by FUBeAR
 Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:00 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:38 am
I'm guessing this is the ECU WR/RB looking at Furman…
Since we’re speculating…

* Prolly has relationship with Coach Dudzik from his days in Greenville (NC)
* Prolly a Deans List-type student who already has his Undergrad in Communications & his MS in Kinesiology / Sports Management from ECU and might come to FU for that 1 year MS in Community Engaged Medicine or perhaps the 2 year MA Advocacy & Equity Studies w/1 yr as a Player & 1 yr as a GA S&C Coach - heck, maybe both & he can have 4 degrees! (how’s that for some wild postulatin’?)
* Prolly had offers from Army, NC Central and Elon coming out of HS in 2018
* Prolly committed to Elon, but the Formerly Fightin’ Former Christians, those bastages, prolly pulled his offer late, prolly on his birthday, and he prolly ended up taking a PWO Offer from ECU and prolly earned a schollie after 3 seasons with the Pirates
* Prolly more of a WR/RS/Special Teams guy than a RB, but certainly a high character young man that can contribute to FU on & off the field.

#66386  by SU DOG
 Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:02 pm
I did NOT say this TE was a "lock" for Samford. FUBeAR doesn't usually misquote but he did in this case, then went and used all the info on him that I provided. LOL! I am hopeful that he will sign with us, but predicting where these Portal players wind up is not easy at all. If he does go to Furman, I will just say CONGRATS, as I'm thinking you got a good one.
FUBeAR, Paul C, FUpaladin08 and 1 others liked this
 #66388  by gman84
 Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:30 pm
SU DOG wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:02 pm
I did NOT say this TE was a "lock" for Samford. FUBeAR doesn't usually misquote but he did in this case, then went and used all the info on him that I provided. LOL! I am hopeful that he will sign with us, but predicting where these Portal players wind up is not easy at all. If he does go to Furman, I will just say CONGRATS, as I'm thinking you got a good one.
FUBeAR is not your average bear!
FUBeAR liked this
 #66413  by The Jackal
 Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:09 am
Just a thought for a Wednesday morning.

While I hope Smith ends up in Greenville, I love what Furman is doing roster-wise.

Furman is building a roster under Coach Roper reminiscent of what some of D1 football's best teams are doing - a modernized version of an "old school" offense.

You look at UGA, NDSU, SDSU, etc. and they are big, physical mashers heavily reliant on multiple TEs, single backs, mobile QBs, physical offensive line play, and precision route running on the outside. The TEs are both blockers and pass catchers, the QB is a legitimate run threat, lot of RPO, and, of course, all centered around a physical downhill running game.

Furman, I think, was late to the party in the modernization of the spread offenses over the last 20 years. Even when Hendrix arrived, I felt like the offense was sort of a mashup of available personnel and various offensive schemes. We lacked cohesiveness in the scheme.

Now, for the first time in a while, I feel like Furman has a true identity. Our recruiting is targeting players that fit that identity. This offensive scheme is well-suited to programs with a physical brand of football in their DNA.
gman84, dornb, hypercycloid liked this
 #66415  by Furmanoid
 Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:55 am
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:09 am
Just a thought for a Wednesday morning.

While I hope Smith ends up in Greenville, I love what Furman is doing roster-wise.

Furman is building a roster under Coach Roper reminiscent of what some of D1 football's best teams are doing - a modernized version of an "old school" offense.

You look at UGA, NDSU, SDSU, etc. and they are big, physical mashers heavily reliant on multiple TEs, single backs, mobile QBs, physical offensive line play, and precision route running on the outside. The TEs are both blockers and pass catchers, the QB is a legitimate run threat, lot of RPO, and, of course, all centered around a physical downhill running game.

Furman, I think, was late to the party in the modernization of the spread offenses over the last 20 years. Even when Hendrix arrived, I felt like the offense was sort of a mashup of available personnel and various offensive schemes. We lacked cohesiveness in the scheme.

Now, for the first time in a while, I feel like Furman has a true identity. Our recruiting is targeting players that fit that identity. This offensive scheme is well-suited to programs with a physical brand of football in their DNA.
I watched a lot of ND this year and they eventually landed on the TE centric running, passing a little, offense. In their case it was necessary to cover up a QB and WR deficiency. The good thing about this approach is that, while it is definitely becoming more popular, it isn’t something everybody is doing yet. So people haven’t figured out how to shut it down. I also wonder if the LB or DB recruited to slap away passes is the guy to fight off huge TE’s and tackle mean running backs. Might be hard to build a D to stop both approaches.

I agree with you. It seems like things are being done with more clear intention. Maybe we can have a boring thin playbook stressing a few key concepts. Seems like something we can perfect. For awhile it looked like we were almost drawing up stuff in the dirt and nobody was sure what they were doing.
 #67080  by 'Din Djarin
 Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:14 am
I don't think enough positive can be said about the addition of Justin Roper as OC. He's quickly given Furman an effective identity on offense, which as the above poster notes, makes recruiting easier because you know exactly what types of players you're looking for. I really hope Furman will do everything they can to keep Roper on staff for as long as possible, because I imagine he will garner head coach interest from other schools soon.
dornb, Davemeister, gman84 and 5 others liked this
 #67390  by KingPaladin
 Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:46 am
'Din Djarin wrote:
I don't think enough positive can be said about the addition of Justin Roper as OC. He's quickly given Furman an effective identity on offense, which as the above poster notes, makes recruiting easier because you know exactly what types of players you're looking for. I really hope Furman will do everything they can to keep Roper on staff for as long as possible, because I imagine he will garner head coach interest from other schools soon.
The best thing that happened was Quarles leaving for Etsu and having Roper instead
apaladin liked this
 #67403  by apaladin
 Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:56 pm
KingPaladin wrote:
'Din Djarin wrote:
The best thing that happened was Quarles leaving for Etsu and having Roper instead
I don’t think anyone can argue with that.
dornb liked this
 #67483  by gofurman
 Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:35 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:56 pm
KingPaladin wrote:
'Din Djarin wrote:
I don’t think anyone can argue with that.
Yep. And I hate it is that way.. but it is. Look at ETSU this year.

Also, Jackal was correct, imo, about Hendrix. It seemed when we needed a play you never knew what we were about. And the OL blocking schemes - or something - were just weird. And I know people loved Quarles and certainly Hendrix .. but there is a reason Hendrix moved on. I guess what I am saying is you need an identity. Nothing wrong w misdirection thrown in there. But a basic identity is crucial
 #67484  by gofurman
 Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:37 pm
'Din Djarin wrote:
Djarin - haven't seen you until recently. Glad to have you!!!

May I ask are you still a student? I ask for this reason - IF you are what would get some kids to come and be loud at the games? Or were you there recently. I am old lol. I haven't been in a Furman class since the early 90s

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.