• Baseball Is NOT DEAD at Furman

#65832  by Paul C
 Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:43 pm
Title IX has outlived its usefulness. It was intended to open up college opportunities to women, and now 58% of undergraduate degrees are earned by women. Mission more than accomplished. End Title IX.
 #65842  by FUBeAR
 Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:17 pm
Paul C wrote:
Title IX has outlived its usefulness. It was intended to open up college opportunities to women, and now 58% of undergraduate degrees are earned by women. Mission more than accomplished. End Title IX.
Apparently, you need a lesson in equity vs. equality.
 #65852  by Furmanoid
 Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:24 am
affirm wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:56 pm
ANOTHER SUGGESTION FOR A D1 WOMEN’S SPORT FOR FURMAN TO CONSIDER CHOOSING FOR TITLE IX COMPLIANCE WHEN CONSIDERING THE POSSIBLE RESUMPTION OF BASEBALL:
**Women’s Gymnastics**
(Clemson is currently starting up a Women’s Gymnastics program.
UGA has had their program for years.)
… ALSO:
**Women’s Acrobatics & Tumbling** (see Presbyterian College Athletics)
…ALSO:
**Women’s Wrestling** (either NCAA D1 as PC apparently is in, or another sanctioning body that a lot of more well-known & big-time schools are in)
Good input. I kinda like the women’s wrestling idea. Right now more and more girls are wrestling on HS boys teams (as boys are becoming way to soft and lazy to do wrestling practice) but they have no college options.

I also like the bowling idea. Why not go all in and become a girls’ bowling powerhouse?
 #65853  by Furmanoid
 Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:33 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:17 pm
Paul C wrote:
Apparently, you need a lesson in equity vs. equality.
I can see tweaking it to make it less stringent, but if it went away completely, some girls sports might dry up, and I’m not sure what’s positive about that.

I’m not certain the equal scholarship thing is even a big deal anymore. There’s a massive loophole. Make football nonscholarship by paying everybody with NIL. Use the school’s money (student activity fees) for scholarship sports and the boosters’ money for football NIL. Problem solved.
 #65855  by Davemeister
 Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:06 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:24 am
Good input. I kinda like the women’s wrestling idea. Right now more and more girls are wrestling on HS boys teams (as boys are becoming way to soft and lazy to do wrestling practice) but they have no college options.

A renovated Timmons should definitely have an Octagon for the Furman Women's Mixed Martial Arts team. Now THAT would be the proper blend of Sports and Entertainment!
FUBeAR liked this
 #65857  by FUBeAR
 Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:34 am
Helpful info, well summarized (after FUBeAR reorganized / edited it slightly) for those discussing the Title IX topic…

What are the three components in Title IX?

IMPORTANT: a school must comply with each of the three components of Title IX. In other words, schools must meet at least 1 required “prong” (see below) of component 1) to satisfy compliance with that component AND must also meet the requirements of component 2) AND component 3) to be in full compliance with Title IX.

3 COMPONENTS

1) Schools must accommodate student interests - The three-prong test (see details of the “three-prong test” below) is used to determine whether a school is effectively accommodating student interests in athletics. There are three factors (discussed in detail below) that courts will consider when evaluating whether a school has effectively accommodated the athletic interests of students of both genders (both? hmmm? - FUBeAR). If ANY ONE of the three prongs are satisfied, the school has complied with this component of Title IX.

2) Schools must provide proportional financial assistance to male and female teams. (For a definition of “proportional” in this context, see the bolded text within “Prong 1” below)

3) Schools must also offer equivalent benefits and opportunities to teams for both (both? again? - FUBeAR) genders. This includes equal access to facilities; equivalent quality and quantity of uniforms, coaching, schedules, equipment, and officials; and a similar quantity of available sports and levels of competition.

What Is the Three Prong Test for Component 1) of Title IX?
When analyzing if a school’s athletics program is equal between the sexes, you must review three factors to determine whether the interests of female students have been adequately accommodated by the athletic opportunities are provided. Each of these factors is known as a “prong” in the three-prong test, and only one of the prongs must be satisfied to determine that a school has appropriately accommodated its students.

Prong #1 — Proportionality
The first prong in the three-prong test reviews whether the number of male and female students enrolled in the school’s athletics programs is proportional to the number of male and female students in the entire student body. So, for example, if a school’s student body is about half male and half female, but only 25% of student-athletes are female, this prong would not be satisfied.

Prong #2 — Expansion
When a school has a disproportionate number of male and female students in its sports programs, it can satisfy the second prong of the three-test instead of the first. To do so, the school must prove that it is in the process of expanding its female athletics programs to align with female students’ interests. This means that even if a school fails the first prong, it can still comply with Title IX by working towards proportional representation in its athletics program.

Prong #3 — Accommodating Interests (without Proportionality or Expansion)
The third prong of the test allows schools with disproportionate athletics programs that are not being expanded to show they are complying with Title IX by proving that the existing program is accommodating student interests in athletics. In other words, if a school can show that female students are not interested in participating in an expanded athletic program, it can be found in compliance with Title IX.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #65864  by Fred Garvin
 Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:21 am
1.The 32 people I counted in the WOLAX picture from last year are a ringing endorsement of Title IX. THERE WAS NO ADMISSION CHARGE! I have seen more than 32 people lined up outside of FUBEAR's Woodwinds pad BEFORE the kegs were tapped!

2. I'm tired of hearing about Timmons. We all know it sucks.

3. Start rowing for the women. Saluda Lake is a quick ride away in Berea. Just turn right on Motor Boat Road and yes that is the name.
FUBeAR liked this
 #65870  by youwouldno
 Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:56 am
The issue with baseball is the D-I scholarship rules - (1) Furman couldn't/wouldn't afford the 11.7 allowed and (2) partial scholarships are of limited value when it leaves a gigantic remaining bill.

I don't see the point in bringing baseball back as a half-measure like it was maintained before. Either fully fund it *and* have funding to make up for the private school disadvantage (e.g., large recruiting budget to find rich kids that are good and also NIL resources), or don't bother.

Given Title IX, scholarship costs, and operational costs, that would be a pretty significant budget, $2 - 2.5 million per year would be my back of the envelope estimate.
 #65873  by FUBeAR
 Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:03 pm
Fred Garvin wrote:
1.The 32 people I counted in the WOLAX picture from last year are a ringing endorsement of Title IX. THERE WAS NO ADMISSION CHARGE! I have seen more than 32 people lined up outside of FUBEAR's Woodwinds pad BEFORE the kegs were tapped!

3. Start rowing for the women. Saluda Lake is a quick ride away in Berea. Just turn right on Motor Boat Road and yes that is the name.
*birthing people
 #65885  by Furmanoid
 Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:05 pm
Fred Garvin wrote:

Nobody goes to men’s tennis matches, men’s golf, men’s track etc. Minor sports have small crowds on account of their being minor. Not sure the gender matters.

Big crowd or small crowd, all sports lose money. The students prop them up with fees. In fairness, we should probably do a poll and ask them what sports they want. But that might give some weird results.
 #65890  by SU DOG
 Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:41 pm
Sure hope you guys get Baseball back real soon. As for an easy add for the Women, I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Beach Volleyball. Mercer has 15 players listed on their roster. As for equipment and start-up what could be easier?
 #65891  by cavedweller2
 Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:51 pm
Co-Ed Buck Nekkid Throw Golf would be a good add.
No real cost. No uniforms and you have to retrieve your ball from the lake on #3 before starting play. So no real equipment cost.

It is played at night on the golf course so it wouldn't compete for "court" or "field" space.
 #65894  by FUBeAR
 Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:05 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
No real cost. No uniforms and you have to retrieve your ball from the lake on #3 before starting play. So no real equipment cost.

It is played at night on the golf course so it wouldn't compete for "court" or "field" space.
So, Night Putting would be required?
 #65936  by cavedweller2
 Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:06 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
cavedweller2 wrote:

However you get it in the hole. Pulling the leeches off after exiting the lake is the biggest negative.
 #65950  by FUBeAR
 Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:26 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:06 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
cavedweller2 wrote:

However you get it in the hole. Pulling the leeches off after exiting the lake is the biggest negative.
FUBeAR has definitely pulled off those leeches after some highly productive ball dives in that lake, but he denies night putting with the 15 year old daughter of the Dean on the adjacent 4th green.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.