• Can Furman create a WCC here on the East coast (ECC)

#65724  by FUBeAR
 Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:45 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:41 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:35 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:24 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:17 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:42 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:06 pm
Nah - you only got 7 FCS Scholarship Football Schools - not interested - add, say, Samford and get Davidson to give 63 Football Scholarships and FUBeAR will consider your proposal as long as you’re personally upping the 2 million ducats to bolt the SoCon…

….and, again, Furman and Wofford are NOT rivals.
This is not a football conference, football is not apart of this discussion

Villanova play Big East basketball and CAA football
Richmond plays A10 basketball and CAA football

FU football can go do whatever is best for them
That’s your definition of what this is about. FUBeAR doesn’t agree that Football is not “apart” (sic) of this discussion, so he will not define it that way.

Was going with you on the Teams you are gonna rope in to create your conference and just saying you need to make it make more sense by getting it to 9 FCS Full scholarship Football Teams. Dang - your’re close, just get Samford on board. They should meet your criteria and convince Davidson to return to schollie Football….and write FU’s SoCon seeya check…well, you may have to write Samford’s too and endow 63 Schollies @ Davidson. That last one is gonna cost you about $101 million (one-time) or about $13 million annually (if FUBeAR is reading Davidson’s donor materials correctly).

So…just call it a somewhere between $20 million and $105 million out of FU Hoopla’s pocket and you can get exactly what you want and probably get the Football peeps to be willing to think about it…once you’ve written those checks.

Let us know.

Let's just be smart and do what's best for both programs and save all that money ;)

FU Basketball levels up to a much better conference and FU Football stays the same in SoCon/CAA/or wherever the heck you please
Nah - Furman Football is at least interested in considering if you’re gonna pull together these schools in a conference…

1) Furman
2) Davidson
3) Richmond
4) Fordham
5) Wofford
6) Colgate
7) Mercer
8) William & Mary
9) Bucknell

Hold on…FUBeAR counted wrong. We don’t even need Samford. Just saved FU Hoopla $2 million! He’s definitely buying the next 10-12 Wicked Weeds for saving him that kinda money!

Nah that league is not good enough for FU Basketball to consider, better to split, FU Basketball aiming higher with other schools I've listed
Hold on - You can have all those other schools most people have never heard of because they don’t have Football Teams. They will the the UNC-G’s of the Hoopla Conference…or the Air Force LAX Team….whatever.
 #65729  by FU Hoopla
 Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:52 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:45 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:41 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:35 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:24 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:17 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:42 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:06 pm
Nah - you only got 7 FCS Scholarship Football Schools - not interested - add, say, Samford and get Davidson to give 63 Football Scholarships and FUBeAR will consider your proposal as long as you’re personally upping the 2 million ducats to bolt the SoCon…

….and, again, Furman and Wofford are NOT rivals.
This is not a football conference, football is not apart of this discussion

Villanova play Big East basketball and CAA football
Richmond plays A10 basketball and CAA football

FU football can go do whatever is best for them
That’s your definition of what this is about. FUBeAR doesn’t agree that Football is not “apart” (sic) of this discussion, so he will not define it that way.

Was going with you on the Teams you are gonna rope in to create your conference and just saying you need to make it make more sense by getting it to 9 FCS Full scholarship Football Teams. Dang - your’re close, just get Samford on board. They should meet your criteria and convince Davidson to return to schollie Football….and write FU’s SoCon seeya check…well, you may have to write Samford’s too and endow 63 Schollies @ Davidson. That last one is gonna cost you about $101 million (one-time) or about $13 million annually (if FUBeAR is reading Davidson’s donor materials correctly).

So…just call it a somewhere between $20 million and $105 million out of FU Hoopla’s pocket and you can get exactly what you want and probably get the Football peeps to be willing to think about it…once you’ve written those checks.

Let us know.

Let's just be smart and do what's best for both programs and save all that money ;)

FU Basketball levels up to a much better conference and FU Football stays the same in SoCon/CAA/or wherever the heck you please
Nah - Furman Football is at least interested in considering if you’re gonna pull together these schools in a conference…

1) Furman
2) Davidson
3) Richmond
4) Fordham
5) Wofford
6) Colgate
7) Mercer
8) William & Mary
9) Bucknell

Hold on…FUBeAR counted wrong. We don’t even need Samford. Just saved FU Hoopla $2 million! He’s definitely buying the next 10-12 Wicked Weeds for saving him that kinda money!

Nah that league is not good enough for FU Basketball to consider, better to split, FU Basketball aiming higher with other schools I've listed
Hold on - You can have all those other schools most people have never heard of because they don’t have Football Teams. They will the the UNC-G’s of the Hoopla Conference…or the Air Force LAX Team….whatever.

Give me a league that includes these with whoever you want to insert and you got a deal, make the conference as large as you need too ;)

Furman
Davidson
Belmont
College Of Charleston
VCU
Richmond
George Mason
UNC Wilmington
William & Mary
 #65774  by paladinfan12
 Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:29 am
The only schools that interest me for better basketball are Davidson, CofC, and Belmont. All 3 don't have football, have been good at basketball for a long time, and would significantly reduce their travel expenses if they were in the SoCon. Might be worth seeing if you could lure them back here (or here for the first time) with a renewed conference focus on basketball and establish the SoCon as the WCC of the East.

I know people on here don't like Wofford, but last weekend attendance kind of confirmed that that these local rivalries only 1-2 hours away do really help attendance and drum up local discussion for the home games.

- Davidson would gain UNCG, Furman, and Wofford all within 1.5 hours. Right now Davidson has no one within 4 hours.
- CofC would gain Citadel in town, and Wofford/Furman/Davidson all right around 3 hours. Currently CofC only has UNCW anywhere near that close.
- Belmont does not see nearly the same reduction of travel expenses, but gets 2 more teams in state, and gets Samford at less than 3 hours. Currently only Murray State is that close.

I realize it is a pipe dream because CAA, MVC, and A-10 are all probably considered more attractive conferences than the SoCon, but would make for a much more competitive and attractive conference.
 #65777  by FUBeAR
 Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:38 am
paladinfan12 wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:29 am
The only schools that interest me for better basketball are Davidson, CofC, and Belmont. All 3 don't have football, have been good at basketball for a long time, and would significantly reduce their travel expenses if they were in the SoCon. Might be worth seeing if you could lure them back here (or here for the first time) with a renewed conference focus on basketball and establish the SoCon as the WCC of the East.

I know people on here don't like Wofford, but last weekend attendance kind of confirmed that that these local rivalries only 1-2 hours away do really help attendance and drum up local discussion for the home games.

- Davidson would gain UNCG, Furman, and Wofford all within 1.5 hours. Right now Davidson has no one within 4 hours.
- CofC would gain Citadel in town, and Wofford/Furman/Davidson all right around 3 hours. Currently CofC only has UNCW anywhere near that close.
- Belmont does not see nearly the same reduction of travel expenses, but gets 2 more teams in state, and gets Samford at less than 3 hours. Currently only Murray State is that close.

I realize it is a pipe dream because CAA, MVC, and A-10 are all probably considered more attractive conferences than the SoCon, but would make for a much more competitive and attractive conference.
Cool…the new SoCon Commish should go get ‘em when she takes over this summer!

Don’t like Wofford?

FUBeAR thinks Wofford’s delusions that they can have an NCAA D1 Athletics Program is very, very cute. Reminds him of a puppy growling and acting like it’s going to take a bone from an adult dog. And who doesn’t like puppies?
 #65800  by Furmanoid
 Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:21 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:45 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:11 pm
Why leave a conference we should win? If we can’t win the SoCon we shouldn’t be in the tournament. The WCC generally has two good teams. If the SoCon can get to that level, two good teams, that’s good enough. We just need to start winning the SoCon. We already get crazy overrated without even winning it. If we do start winning it we’ll live in the top 60 or 70.
Because the SoCon is awful, and playing low academic larger state schools like ETSU, WCU, UTC and UNCG does nothing to advance Furman University and Furman Basketball in the long run, gotta think bigger than that

WCC has BYU as well to go along with St. Mary's and Gonzaga, compared to the SoCon that usually only has 1 really good team per year. Gotta create a league that is going to garner some national respect, SoCon does not.
I kind of agree with your assessment of the SoCon. That’s why I tend to lose interest during the conference regular season. But if we were in a Hoopla league, we might never win it. If you look at things coldly and objectively, the immediate future after this year doesn’t look super promising. It just doesn’t. But we could still win the SoCon even with a big drop off because everybody else is possibly going to drop off even more.

I’m serious with my constant whining that if we have $40M to throw around, spending on a building instead of NIL is kinda dumb. If we spent that money right, we would quickly dominate the new Hoopla league. But you’d have to keep sitting in a DII gym. Ever see the dump Jacksonville played in Joe Williams’ last year when they played UCLA in the finals?
 #65803  by FU Hoopla
 Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:27 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
Why leave a conference we should win? If we can’t win the SoCon we shouldn’t be in the tournament. The WCC generally has two good teams. If the SoCon can get to that level, two good teams, that’s good enough. We just need to start winning the SoCon. We already get crazy overrated without even winning it. If we do start winning it we’ll live in the top 60 or 70.
Because the SoCon is awful, and playing low academic larger state schools like ETSU, WCU, UTC and UNCG does nothing to advance Furman University and Furman Basketball in the long run, gotta think bigger than that

WCC has BYU as well to go along with St. Mary's and Gonzaga, compared to the SoCon that usually only has 1 really good team per year. Gotta create a league that is going to garner some national respect, SoCon does not.
I kind of agree with your assessment of the SoCon. That’s why I tend to lose interest during the conference regular season. But if we were in a Hoopla league, we might never win it. If you look at things coldly and objectively, the immediate future after this year doesn’t look super promising. It just doesn’t. But we could still win the SoCon even with a big drop off because everybody else is possibly going to drop off even more.

I’m serious with my constant whining that if we have $40M to throw around, spending on a building instead of NIL is kinda dumb. If we spent that money right, we would quickly dominate the new Hoopla league. But you’d have to keep sitting in a DII gym. Ever see the dump Jacksonville played in Joe Williams’ last year when they played UCLA in the finals?
I disagree about after this year, think we will be just fine. Peagues and Foster will make a jump again, other players will make jumps, and we can go out and land a D2 stud if anyone at end of roster transfers, at this point we are a program that just reloads and goes again ;)

Nobody is giving $40 million dollars to give to players at FU, so just give that one up. People are giving their money because they are tired of current crappy Timmons, that's the only reason the money is on the table to begin with.
Roundball, KingPaladin liked this
 #65805  by RaleighDin
 Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:55 pm
I understand the sentiment around using the $ for NIL, but think about it a bit differently. At the level we're competing at, and the one we're trying to get to - a tricked out arena and facilities is essentially the price of admission. Without that, anything spent on NIL would have to be even greater to overcome the facilities disadvantage we'd face against other schools. Having to comp players more then costs more annually, and is less sustainable in the long run. You also get into an area where players are choosing your school primarily for the money, which isn't how to best build a lasting program.
Roundball, FU Hoopla liked this
 #65806  by Roundball
 Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:27 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:

Jacksonville was a one year wonder. They didn’t invest into the program for the future, so look where they are now. They are still using the same 1,360 seat arena built in 1953. As for Furman, the reason the investment is being made by private individuals is because they believe in the future of the program. We have to show recruits that Furman is serious about our basketball program. Dollars have to be spent to improve Timmons. By the way, Furman does not have $40M to throw around. Again, that money is coming from donors. I really don’t think Furman will ever be the school that buys players with NIL money, at least I hope not.
FU Hoopla, furpop16 liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:18 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.