• Bob Richey

#6550  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:59 am
Can we please go ahead and lock this fantastic coach up long term!!!!!!
furpop16, dornb, gman and 3 others liked this
 #6578  by Davemeister
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:06 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:59 am
Can we please go ahead and lock this fantastic coach up long term!!!!!!
That might be easier said than done. But we are certainly better off with a coach that other schools want than with one that nobody wants.
dornb, FU03times and 1 others liked this
 #6580  by Fuonetime
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:19 am
Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up! He is making Furman great again (at least in basketball). He is a fantastic coach and person. At the very least make it very expensive for a D1 raider. Do everything we can to keep Coach BR at FU as long as we can!
FUKA61, dornb, FU03times and 1 others liked this
 #6587  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:03 am
Fuonetime wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:19 am
Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up! He is making Furman great again (at least in basketball). He is a fantastic coach and person. At the very least make it very expensive for a D1 raider. Do everything we can to keep Coach BR at FU as long as we can!

Indeed :!:
 #6598  by youwouldno
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:58 am
Furman could and should pay him enough that he doesn't leave for a crappy Sun Belt program or something.

Richey has much stronger local ties than Medved . . . if he's compensated decently, he might stick around for a while.
FUKA61, FUpaladin08 and 1 others liked this
 #6599  by apaladin
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:01 pm
Right now lets just hope he doesn't leave before the season is over. :(
 #6601  by Jasper
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:07 pm
There is no "lock up" number at this level of coaching no matter the contract. They are broken all the time. A coach's primary responsibility is to himself and his family. If he is a young man, he wants to succeed in his profession and in basketball that means he has to move up in class to the schools that can pay more. It is simply economic mathematics for Furman. We need to hire good young coaches and let them be successful enough to move on to a higher compensation level. Then go find the next bright young coach. It's just the way it is. IMO, the most important person in this whole process is the AD who does the hiring.
 #6602  by Jasper
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:08 pm
There is no "lock up" number at this level of coaching no matter the contract. They are broken all the time. A coach's primary responsibility is to himself and his family. If he is a young man, he wants to succeed in his profession and in basketball that means he has to move up in class to the schools that can pay more. It is simply economic mathematics for Furman. We need to hire good young coaches and let them be successful enough to move on to a higher compensation level. Then go find the next bright young coach. It's just the way it is. IMO, the most important person in this whole process is the AD who does the hiring.
 #6605  by edwards555
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:23 pm
I believe we should lock him up in such a way that he would not leave unless it was for a team in a multi bid conference I believe we could afford this but not afford paying him enough to lock him up from jobs where it is multi bid conference and there are maybe a dozen of these tops.
 #6606  by youwouldno
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:25 pm
There is a number that is competitive at the mid-major level. You don't want your coach making a borderline lateral move . . . if he leaves, it should be to a conference that gets at-large bids routinely.
 #6691  by Paul C
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:32 pm
I don’t want to lose Bob to a “Drake”. If we do lose him eventually. (and I hope we do for all our sakes) I would hope it would be for a higher caliber program.
FUKA61, Fessor and 1 others liked this
 #6696  by Affirm
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:59 pm
Jasper wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:08 pm
Yes. We need to work hard to retain our current AD. Then when he eventually leaves, we need to work hard to hire and retain one who is his equal.
FU69, FUKA61 liked this
 #6705  by Jasper
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:52 pm
Paul C wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:32 pm
I don’t want to lose Bob to a “Drake”. If we do lose him eventually. (and I hope we do for all our sakes) I would hope it would be for a higher caliber program.

exactly. Drake is a friggin fowl, isnt it? Who wants to lose a coach to a duck?
Fessor liked this
 #6739  by purplehorse
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:52 am
I have never met BR but have always liked him and am confident that he is a person of integrity and will do what is right for him and his family. Not everybody chases money.

Many mid-majors now do great things in basketball so there is no reason he cannot do that- and live in a great place-Greenville.