• Biggest win since...

#6508  by AstroDin
 Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:06 pm
The only game for me that would come close is when I was in maybe 8th or 9th grade and Furman beats South Carolina in the tournament in Philly.
Fessor and 1 others liked this
 #6513  by youwouldno
 Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:25 pm
Depends on how you measure, but I don't see how it could be among the top several, given Furman's prior heydays.
 #6515  by AstroDin
 Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:34 pm
Here's the difference and why this is IMO the biggest win…

Did some research Furman beat South Carolina in 1974 for our only tournament win. So that is a big deal… BUT

No other win in the history of Furman basketball has generated the buzz of the last several hours. Do yourself a favor - type in Furman Basketball in twitter search…

We all of us - need to enjoy this moment - right now Furman is the darling of college basketball if the DINS go into LSU undefeated - a lot of eyes are going to be on the Paladins.

I was so envious of the runs in the tourney of Chattanooga and Davidson and the national attention. Today has made me rethink can Furman really compete at a national level in basketball? I believe we can.
FUKA61, Paladin575, Bootie and 4 others liked this
 #6518  by DungeonRealm
 Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:54 pm
Its the second highest ranked team at #8 that Furman has ever beaten, highest was #5 Davidson in 1965

Plus they are the defending national champs

ITS HUGE!!!!
 #6519  by Fessor
 Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:02 pm
AstroDin wrote:

Did some research Furman beat South Carolina in 1974 for our only tournament win. So that is a big deal… BUT

No other win in the history of Furman basketball has generated the buzz of the last several hours. Do yourself a favor - type in Furman Basketball in twitter search…

We all of us - need to enjoy this moment - right now Furman is the darling of college basketball if the DINS go into LSU undefeated - a lot of eyes are going to be on the Paladins.

I was so envious of the runs in the tourney of Chattanooga and Davidson and the national attention. Today has made me rethink can Furman really compete at a national level in basketball? I believe we can.
Umm, no. Had this game been played Monday night, instead of this afternoon, Nova is a top 15 team, not a top ten team. This is a young Nova team that got beat by 27 points three days ago.

The win against Lefty Driesell's fifth-ranked Davidson team is definitely bigger and the back-to-back wins against UNC and NC State in Charlotte are bigger.
 #6520  by DungeonRealm
 Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:06 pm
Fessor wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:02 pm
AstroDin wrote:

Umm, no. Had this game been played Monday night, instead of this afternoon, Nova is a top 15 team, not a top ten team. This is a young Nova team that got beat by 27 points three days ago.

The win against Lefty Driesell's fifth-ranked Davidson team is definitely bigger and the back-to-back wins against UNC and NC State in Charlotte are bigger.

They are all huge!
 #6521  by apaladin
 Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:07 pm
I don't know if we can ever top the '74 tourney win over SC, oddly enough in the same city as tonight's win. Remember SC as the #10 team in the country when we beat them. FYI channel 4 had it at the start of their newscast tonight. That may be a first for Furman.

The win over #3 UNC in Charlotte also comes to mind.
Last edited by apaladin on Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AstroDin liked this
 #6522  by Fessor
 Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:08 pm
Paul C wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:58 pm
Ever?
Umm, no. Not even close. Had this game been played Monday night, instead of this afternoon, Nova is a top 15 - maybe Top 20 - team, not a top ten team. This is a young Nova team that got beat by 27 points three days ago.

Nice win considering where the program was 5-6 years ago.
 #6524  by AstroDin
 Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:19 pm
Fessor… on paper your right - but sadly few people TODAY remember Lefty - especially his Davidson days.

Still, I will argue that the win tonight is a far bigger lift for the program — no comparison.
 #6525  by Paul C
 Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:21 pm
Definitely the biggest win in the ESPN/social media era.

Sure maybe some of those wins in the 60s and 70s may have meant more, but this win, combined with our win over Loyola-Chicago has our national profile higher than it’s ever been.
AstroDin liked this
 #6528  by youwouldno
 Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:34 pm
The NCAA tournament reigns supreme in college basketball. The Paladins have been on a roll, no doubt, but this isn't the decisive part of the season.

Having said that, it's all connected . . . when you have a good team, you upset high-profile programs and win conference tournaments. For decades, Furman did not have a good team, therefore those things did not happen. Furman has only been good for 2 seasons and change . . . if it continues for an extended period, there will be more of the former and ultimately the latter as well.
 #6529  by Fessor
 Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:40 pm
Paul C wrote:
Sure maybe some of those wins in the 60s and 70s may have meant more, but this win, combined with our win over Loyola-Chicago has our national profile higher than it’s ever been.
Again, umm, no. It doesn't mean anything to this crowd, who seemingly dismisses anything they weren't present to see, but Furman had two first team All-Americans for two out of three years (maybe back-to-back years, you can look it up if you wish) in Frank Selvy and Darrell Floyd. The school was nationally recognized then.

The national story now is probably more about Villanova uncharacteristically struggling, than Furman winning. Again, Nova got throttled by 27 three days ago. I will agree that knocking off two of the four Final Four teams from last year is a nice calling card, even if those teams aren't Final Four caliber teams this year.

Nice win, especially in that environment. Let's see if they can keep it going. LSU is in about five weeks with plenty of cupcakes on the schedule between now and then. Maybe crack the top 25 if undefeated and beat LSU. (Might even crack it Monday night.)
 #6531  by Fessor
 Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:52 pm
Paul C wrote:
Definitely the biggest win in the ESPN/social media era.

Strongly agree with respect to the social media era. Inarguable. Nice to see FU on ESPN, etc.

Amazing how far the program has come in the last 5 years.
 #6533  by Paul C
 Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:56 pm
It’s really more than just the win tonite, The total package of:

1) last second dunk W over Loyola
2) Jordan Lyons 3 pt barrage, and
3) W over defending Nat Champ

Has really elevated our profile.

Remember tho, Wofford beat UNC at this time last year and was an also ran in the SoCon...
Fessor liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.