• Furman defeats #8 Villanova 76-68

#6517  by Fessor
 Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:47 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:38 pm
Not sure I have ever seen a more impressive interview by a Furman player than the one above-for many reasons. Excellent job Jordan!
Yeah, I'm biased, but I was impressed as well. He represented himself very well.
furpop16, FUKA61 and 1 others liked this
 #6523  by apaladin
 Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:17 pm
Amazing that 4 of 5 starters played 38 minutes or longer with Mounce logging 34 mins. before fouling out. Every starter had at least 13 points. Rafferty with 17 rebounds.
FUKA61 liked this
 #6541  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:06 am
Guess who's back on Sportscenter! I think the only college hoops team to be on Sportscenter more this season than Furman is Duke, that's pretty good company to be in!

Fessor, dornb, AstroDin liked this
 #6564  by Jasper
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:44 am
Absolutely great win over a truly big name in college hoops for the Furman program. The recognition is all over the internet and deservedly so. It was the culmination of an incredible week for everyone connected with the team. Congratulations to all. Although it was very much a team effort, with all the starters scoring in double figures and contributing in many other ways, I think there are several standout reasons for this fabulous streak.:

Matt Rafferty - playing the best BB of his career. Last night he did it all. Great court vision and passing, excellent rebounding and defense and a signature fade away jumper to ice the win at the end.
Jordan Lyons - we all knew about his 3 point prowess but his real improvement this season is his ability to create his own shot and his drives to the basket. He made 2 or 3 critical baskets last night by agressively going to the hoop.
Clay Mounce - we all knew he could jump out of the building but now he has become a dangerous 3 point shooter from the corners. This kid has "star" written all over him.
Tre Clark - logging increasingly important minutes. His length makes him a devastating disruptor of an opponents offense at the top. He has not only made steals in every game but he constantly has hands on the ball. When FU faces some of the really good players in the SoCon, this kid is the lock down defender to take them off their game.

One of the main strengths of this team is its overall length. Mounce, Clark, Slawson and Gurley all play bigger than their listed size. Teams like ETSU, UNCG and Chattanooga who have used this factor to their benefit in the past are in for a surpise. Or maybe, not so much with this great pub Furman is getting. It is already a fun season for the fans. Let's keep it going. Fun is a good thing. :)
dornb, FUKA61 and 1 others liked this
 #6581  by Fessor
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:22 am
Jasper wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:13 am
Thank you very much for this video. I was unable to watch the game and this really helped. Great win!
Well, I did see it. No fluke. Full house. Students present and loud. Not the beneficiary of bad calls or off night/ foul trouble/ injuries by the opponent. Went toe-to-toe with an elite program, maybe struggling at the moment but still very talented and well-coached, and beat them. Straight up. Had opportunities to fold and didn't. Balanced, team effort on both ends. As impressive a performance as I've ever seen by a Furman team.
FUKA61, Jasper, apaladin liked this
 #6597  by Jasper
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:54 am
Fessor wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:22 am
Jasper wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:13 am
Thank you very much for this video. I was unable to watch the game and this really helped. Great win!
Well, I did see it. No fluke. Full house. Students present and loud. Not the beneficiary of bad calls or off night/ foul trouble/ injuries by the opponent. Went toe-to-toe with an elite program, maybe struggling at the moment but still very talented and well-coached, and beat them. Straight up. Had opportunities to fold and didn't. Balanced, team effort on both ends. As impressive a performance as I've ever seen by a Furman team.
(quote)

I couldnt agree more. I have a great deal of respect for Jay Wright, who I have met and is a good guy, and the program he has built at Villanova but last night, the best team won the game w/o doubt. Big night for Furman.
 #6604  by apaladin
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:23 pm
Let's be honest when Rafferty missed the free throw you knew we would lose in OT right? I'll admit I did but that's because it seems it always happens that way. This team said hold on, we are not going to let this one slip away. You gotta love it.
Last edited by apaladin on Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #6608  by furpep
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:29 pm
I remember when Tre Clark was a freshman, I kept saying he was a veritable stat machine. Loved his athleticism. Most people sitting around me smirked at that. Well they are not smirking any more. Also is a very personable young man. Got the opportunity to chat with him and Jordan last season and came away quite impressed.
I think that this is a Bob Richey team, as opposed to last years team. I will admit that I was upset that Noah Gurley got red-shirted last season because I was sure he was better than Jalen. But as we review last year and this, I am very happy that he sat out and now has four full seasons as a Paladin. And what a difference in Clay Mounce! One full season of development last year, injuries look to be behind him. There is a lot to be happy about with our program.
I am going to try my best to be at the game on Wednesday. My son in flying in from Texas and, along with my wife, we will hopefully be there to cheer on the Paladins.
FUKA61, Fessor and 1 others liked this