• 2023 Recruiting Diamond Cha23rs

#64855  by Paul C
 Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:32 pm
Hamilton is a 6’3” WR and was a NC Shrine Bowl participant.

Sr year had 62 rec, 899 yds, 9 TDs

Doesn’t seem particularly fast, but seems to have long arms, big strong hands, doesn’t let the ball get into his body, and has the good stop/start agility.
 #64858  by The Jackal
 Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:20 pm
Just an observation.

Furman seems to be tracking in recruiting with what you see working at the upper levels of college football right now - heavy emphasis on 12 personnel flanked with a mobile/physical quarterback.

South Dakota State, for instance, features a base offense with two 6'3 receivers and two 6'5+ TEs. UGA heavily featured similar personnel groupings in their national title run. If you can recruit it, this is the sort of offensive system that's creating a lot of trouble for defenses right now.

Since Roper's arrival, we've seen Furman hammering big bodied pass catchers in recruiting.
Affirm liked this
 #65230  by FUwolfpacker
 Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:15 am
Commitment from a slot WR from St Thomas Aquinas in FL which is a traditional power in FL. State champs this past year I believe. He recently picked up offers from Fordham and Furman which were his first 2 D1 offers I believe.

dornb liked this
 #65231  by FUBeAR
 Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:26 am
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:15 am
Commitment from a slot WR from St Thomas Aquinas in FL which is a traditional power in FL. State champs this past year I believe. He recently picked up offers from Fordham and Furman which were his first 2 D1 offers I believe.

Good surname for a SoCon WR
MNORM, FU Hoopla liked this
 #65348  by FUwolfpacker
 Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:51 pm
I may be wrong but I think these are the commits since early signing day with offers.

Stoneking
Dalton
Hamilton
Moss
Schuck
Hefner

A couple of guys have committed and I think they are PWOs.

Vinny Jordan
Tyler Hendly

Not sure if there is anyone else we’re waiting on at this point. TJ McElmurry picked Kennesaw which probably opened a spot for Moss.
 #65360  by apaladin
 Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:51 am
Paul C wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:02 pm
Just a reminder, the "late" signing day is Wed Feb 1....looks like we will have 4-5 adds to our class...
CCH indicated we woukd maybe a couple more spots open after the Wenesday signing day and they were might be transfers that they are talking with,
 #65361  by AstroDin
 Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:16 am
I went down a rabbit hole on Tanner Schuck-watching all his highlight films. Tanner is relentless; I bet almost half his tackles came from following the play and making the tackle in open space. Most players' films are loaded with sacks and tackle for losses. Stoneking and Schuck seem cut from the same cloth—blue-collar, gritty players with high-rev motors.

The 2023 class is stout defensively. The offensive signees have gotten most of the attention—deservedly so, but I wouldn't sleep on this incoming defensive class.
dornb liked this
 #65362  by The Jackal
 Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:35 am
AstroDin wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:16 am
I went down a rabbit hole on Tanner Schuck-watching all his highlight films. Tanner is relentless; I bet almost half his tackles came from following the play and making the tackle in open space. Most players' films are loaded with sacks and tackle for losses. Stoneking and Schuck seem cut from the same cloth—blue-collar, gritty players with high-rev motors.

The 2023 class is stout defensively. The offensive signees have gotten most of the attention—deservedly so, but I wouldn't sleep on this incoming defensive class.

Wasn't sure what position Schuck would play until I pulled up the video - looks a lot faster than I expected for his listed size (6'3 230+). Could be a target for the bandit position or inside linebacker.
 #65363  by The Jackal
 Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:08 am
Being listed as a LB/TE, I had wondered to Schuck might play a type of hybrid H back role.

Interestingly, in the era of spread offenses, a number of teams really successful in the FCS are single back offenses with often two or three TEs in the formation. Furman does not have a true "fullback" anymore, though we do have a few big running backs that sort of do double duty.

Miller was listed as a TE, but was a hybrid player - a wide receiver built like a running back. Gissinger is more of a prototype TE. We've recruited two TEs in this class, both of whom have big frames. I'm interested to know if we will locate an under recruited player to play a position not highly desired in many modern offenses.

Just as an example from the upper echelon of FCS football. This is South Dakota State in a tie game. This isn't a goal line or short yardage offense. This is 1st and 10 from the 15 in the First Quarter.

North Dakota State does something similar, though they use a traditional fullback with their multiple TEs.

Again, these are "heavy" sets on first down plays.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by The Jackal

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:38 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.