affirm wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:29 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:20 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:11 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:01 pm
First thank you Mr. Curry!!! That is an awesome donation! So now JD pretty much said nothing is happening until the balance of the moneyis raised. He said more than half has been raised. Does that inckude Mr. Curry’s donation or not? Either way reading between the lines we are/were not close to raising the money needed after 2+ years which is disappointing. JD has said many times they were waiting for that one “cornerstone” donation to get things rolloing. Ok FU has that now thanks to Mr. Curry. The ball is now in Furman’s court.
I read it to say we are a little over 20 million raised, we will need probably 15-20 million more and then Mr. Curry's 10 million will be added to the pot.

So now we know we still need to come up with 15-20 million to green light the project, hopefully this gift being made public will motivate others to come forward.
That is the way I read it. Still nowhere close to even an announcement. Hope that is wrong and we are closer than we think. Would hate to think we are still 2-3 years away from even an announcement. If this is true, in 2+ years we”ve only reaised approximately 25%. You would think the university would kick in the balance after this most generous donation from Mr. Curry. The longer they wait the more expensive it gets.
I would not think the university would kick in the balance after this most generous donation from Mr. Curry. Instead, I would think that this most generous donation from Mr. Curry would help bring in many additional donations. If that does not happen, then we just have to wait another 4-5-6-10-15 years, or whatever, until we see that enough Furman supporters actually do want this.
I do not think you just go spending the endowment or spending operational expenses that need to go elsewhere.
Do not overlook this, which was the 7th paragraph in the announcement about Mr. Curry's gift:
Curry’s gift, and others that will fund the project, also represents Furman Athletics’ shift to being funded by sports revenue and philanthropy, Donnelly said.
I noticed that. I would like someone " in the know" to expound on it. Sounds kind of scary.
I would not qualify as “someone in the know” for you, I am sure. However, I do know how to read with understanding. There is nothing scary about it. It means that whatever is going to be spent overall in athletics, as athletics continues to increase spending, is going to increasingly depend upon (a) how well athletics overall is able to bring in revenue from its operations and (b) how much money can also be brought in from outside donations of all sizes. It means that there are obviously necessary limitations on what part of the university’s funds can go to athletics.
tim liked this
 #64351  by greenvegas
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:04 pm
WSPA and WYFF are now reporting this. To the average Greenvillian reading these articles on these TV station websites it makes it sound like it's going to happen now to the arena itself. If there is no change to the arena in 2 years it will be so embarassing.
 #64356  by FU Hoopla
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:33 pm
greenvegas wrote:
WSPA and WYFF are now reporting this. To the average Greenvillian reading these articles on these TV station websites it makes it sound like it's going to happen now to the arena itself. If there is no change to the arena in 2 years it will be so embarassing.
I don't think 'embarrassing' is the correct word to use on the same day $10 million is pledged by one man, I think the word you seek today is impressive ;) Save the rest for later if it ever becomes a point at all.
Roundball, hypercycloid, din23 and 1 others liked this
 #64364  by Flagman
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:45 pm
greenvegas wrote:
The G-News should have it by Monday or Tuesday of next week.
 #64365  by Sad Din
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:51 pm
Flagman wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:45 pm
greenvegas wrote:
The G-News should have it by Monday or Tuesday of next week.
ya think so quickly?
 #64366  by Bootie
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:45 pm
Pssst…. Someone in the know… now that the cat is out of the bag, can we see those cool architectural renderings?
Sad Din, FU Hoopla, furpop16 and 3 others liked this
 #64367  by Sad Din
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:55 pm
Bootie wrote:
Pssst…. Someone in the know… now that the cat is out of the bag, can we see those cool architectural renderings?
several have those pics. can you ask permission to post here knowing full well that they may not be the final version

Its just for UUFP, we promise not to tell anyone
 #64377  by apaladin
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:28 pm
Channel 4 had a piece on the donation not in sports. If I heard it correctly they said they have 25 million, need 15 million more. They also bothched the story as usual saying it would be for coaches offices, locker rooms, film rooms etc of course has already been completed. Imagine that!
FU Hoopla liked this
 #64378  by FU Hoopla
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:35 pm
apaladin wrote:
Channel 4 had a piece on the donation not in sports. If I heard it correctly they said they have 25 million, need 15 million more. They also bothched the story as usual saying it would be for coaches offices, locker rooms, film rooms etc of course has already been completed. Imagine that!
Botched indeed lol, here are the videos if anyone wants to see:

https://www.wyff4.com/article/furman-ti ... a/42537280
 #64379  by apaladin
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:50 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:35 pm
apaladin wrote:
Botched indeed lol, here are the videos if anyone wants to see:

https://www.wyff4.com/article/furman-ti ... a/42537280
Don’t worry, I have already let them know!
FU Hoopla liked this
 #64380  by Roundball
 Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:10 am
Bootie wrote:
Yes, the same renderings that are in the VIP room.
 #64432  by Sad Din
 Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:21 pm
Inflation!? wow

Per wiki KImmel Arena, pretty nice little 3200 seat arena for UNCA cost $8M in 2021 dollars. Timmons reno 5x that. wow

must be one heckava party deck

#64630  by Sad Din
 Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:29 pm
SD hopes one of the design features of the new arena is TV camera angles. Look at the difference at a Duke game that mostly has in the TV frame about the same # seats as what new arena will have. Yes the court size is the same. Then look at a recent video of a Dins game.
Notice the TV frame in the Duke game starts about the start of the court. 99.9% of court is visible (picked Duke becuase it arguably has the best TV fans in CBB)

In Dins frame, the bottom part of screen is the scorer table. THat covers the bottom of court. As long as gonna spend $40M whats another few thousand for a couple remote controlled overhead court cams

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.