GOAT wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:03 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:43 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:02 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:51 am
The facility is an issue. But I think there’s a much bigger issue. I just looked at the Kenpom. Aside from a couple of Ivy’s and Vanderbilt around 90 or so, I’m not sure there’s another top 100 team with any academic standards at all. Maybe Purdue. Maybe Northwestern. Duke and UNC? Give me a break.

So is it really doable to be much better than we are right now and maintain our standards?
[/quo

100% will land better depth for the program through recruiting with a better facility to use as recruiting tool.

One perfect example: Our biggest problem has been lack of depth every season, imagine not having to redshirt guys every year that are not ready to contribute, depth problem solved.

As now we literally check off all the boxes for any recruit, except having a nice venue to play and practice in, and that matters big time.
Have you talked to recruits who said they would have gone to Furman if Timmons weren’t so crappy?

We do not check the boxes for “any recruit”. About 90+% of HS players need not apply. Can’t get in. Not being able to enroll is a pretty important box. We have Nike Peach Jam, the EYBL championship, here every summer. FU coaches are always there. But likely 60-70% of the players would have no interest because they are too good. Of the 30-40% left very few are geniuses believe it or not. The 2 or 3 who are really smart will parlay their skills into Ivy League degrees that are basically golden tickets into the ruling class. So I feel really sorry for the FU guy sent down to recruit that event.
I have four children that have all gone through the college search process over the last 7 years. Furman is a good school but it is not an elite school. It is just as hard to get into South Carolina and Clemson as it is Furman. It is much harder to get into UNC, Emory and Vanderbilt than Furman. I do not know what exceptions Furman makes for athletes but I am confident it is something. I would be surprised if getting in is our problem. We have the talent right now to win the SC and we had it last year.
You point out something that is sort of weird about Furman. Furman is easier to get into than Clemson (gotta disagree about USC). It isn’t really elite. But for some reason we are really strict on athletes. When I talk to coaches they are upbeat about getting players into Clemson, UNC, Wofford etc. But you mention FU and they roll their eyes. No chance they say. And I vividly recall one of our FB players really sweating his SAT because of FU’s required score. And FU doesn’t even require an SAT for non athletes. Getting in is definitely an issue. If it isn’t, then we need to get the word out because HS coaches and players pretty much all think it’s a big issue.

I finally met a kid the other day who will be smart enough to go (DB or RB), but Harvard’s after him.
 #64304  by FUBeAR
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:39 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:27 am
GOAT wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:03 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:43 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:02 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
The facility is an issue. But I think there’s a much bigger issue. I just looked at the Kenpom. Aside from a couple of Ivy’s and Vanderbilt around 90 or so, I’m not sure there’s another top 100 team with any academic standards at all. Maybe Purdue. Maybe Northwestern. Duke and UNC? Give me a break.

So is it really doable to be much better than we are right now and maintain our standards?
[/quo

100% will land better depth for the program through recruiting with a better facility to use as recruiting tool.

One perfect example: Our biggest problem has been lack of depth every season, imagine not having to redshirt guys every year that are not ready to contribute, depth problem solved.

As now we literally check off all the boxes for any recruit, except having a nice venue to play and practice in, and that matters big time.
Have you talked to recruits who said they would have gone to Furman if Timmons weren’t so crappy?

We do not check the boxes for “any recruit”. About 90+% of HS players need not apply. Can’t get in. Not being able to enroll is a pretty important box. We have Nike Peach Jam, the EYBL championship, here every summer. FU coaches are always there. But likely 60-70% of the players would have no interest because they are too good. Of the 30-40% left very few are geniuses believe it or not. The 2 or 3 who are really smart will parlay their skills into Ivy League degrees that are basically golden tickets into the ruling class. So I feel really sorry for the FU guy sent down to recruit that event.
I have four children that have all gone through the college search process over the last 7 years. Furman is a good school but it is not an elite school. It is just as hard to get into South Carolina and Clemson as it is Furman. It is much harder to get into UNC, Emory and Vanderbilt than Furman. I do not know what exceptions Furman makes for athletes but I am confident it is something. I would be surprised if getting in is our problem. We have the talent right now to win the SC and we had it last year.
You point out something that is sort of weird about Furman. Furman is easier to get into than Clemson (gotta disagree about USC). It isn’t really elite. But for some reason we are really strict on athletes. When I talk to coaches they are upbeat about getting players into Clemson, UNC, Wofford etc. But you mention FU and they roll their eyes. No chance they say. And I vividly recall one of our FB players really sweating his SAT because of FU’s required score. And FU doesn’t even require an SAT for non athletes. Getting in is definitely an issue. If it isn’t, then we need to get the word out because HS coaches and players pretty much all think it’s a big issue.

I finally met a kid the other day who will be smart enough to go (DB or RB), but Harvard’s after him.
As a DB/RB, he may be more likely to be accepted at Harvard than he would be at Furman. If the Crimson really want him, his academic performance via the Ivy League calculated Academic Index can be 4 standard deviations away from the average Harvard student’s for him to be accepted.

https://www.ivyleagueguru.com/calculat ... %20school.
 #64310  by FU Hoopla
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:03 pm
“This very generous pledge by Ravenel Curry will help us take basketball to the next level. It will greatly enrich experiences for our students and our fans in the Greenville area. When renovations are complete, Timmons Arena will be a college basketball showplace” said Furman University President Elizabeth Davis.
 #64314  by FU Hoopla
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:06 pm
Furman Athletics plans to share details of the Timmons Arena renovations, and stories about philanthropic investors in the project, as they become available.

Anyone interested in becoming a philanthropic partner to advance capital priorities for Furman Athletics may contact Erin Wissing, senior associate athletics director/executive director of Athletics Development, at 864-294-3732 or erin.wissing@furman.edu.
 #64318  by Affirm
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:16 pm
Furmanoid wrote:

Evidently, it was FUBeAR who wrote the following, which probably explains how academically-highly-esteemed places like Virginia, Indiana, Michigan, Wake Forest, Stanford can continue to thrive:
"At the P5 level, in almost all cases, the Admissions Standards for non-athletes are irrelevant for athletes."

"With the ever-increasing NIL cash available, which, in actuality, has become nothing but “pay to play” at the P5 level, FUBeAR expects that whatever minimal admission standards are in place at P5 schools now will further and rapidly erode to nearly none."

Richmond and Davidson are not Power 5 unless A-10 is Power 5, which I do not believe to be the case. I would be surprised to learn that Richmond and Davidson are presently places where the Admissions Standards for non-athletes are irrelevant for athletes. I acknowledge the fact that, at present, Furman is rated above those 2 fine academic institutions in basketball.
Last edited by Affirm on Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #64319  by FU Hoopla
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:19 pm
Curry, a native of Greenwood, South Carolina, launched Eagle with his late wife, Beth Rivers Curry, in 1988. The company is now a $25 billion investment firm. He and his wife, Jane Moss, continue to support causes through the Beth and Ravenel Curry Foundation. His $10 million gift makes Curry one of the university’s largest living donors and the largest single donor to Furman Athletics.
 #64350  by FurmanFan23
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:03 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:48 pm
I really don’t see how an NCAA tournament birth will help the situation. May have a negative effect. See we made tbe tourney, who needs all these fancy renovations.
Jason Donnely would never allow that to happen. Plus I believe ED knows the value basketball brings to this school. I saw her in the crowd next to the student section at the game vs UNCG. Plus she comes from Baylor whose recent national championship has brought in $$$$$

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.