• Back to Timmons

#64232  by Affirm
 Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:56 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:59 pm
two years is actually pretty good for a project of this magnitude. Of course for inpatient fans two years equates to decades :)
I guess you meant to type "impatient fans" instead of "inpatient".
But maybe not.
After all, many of us may be beyond the "inpatient" stage 2 years from whenever this project starts.
 #64242  by apaladin
 Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:47 pm
affirm wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:56 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:59 pm
two years is actually pretty good for a project of this magnitude. Of course for inpatient fans two years equates to decades :)
I guess you meant to type "impatient fans" instead of "inpatient".
But maybe not.
After all, many of us may be beyond the "inpatient" stage 2 years from whenever this project starts.
2 years is not bad for completion of said project or even to begin construction but 2 plus years and still not even have an announcement is bad.
 #64301  by FurmanFan23
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:22 am
Dear Campus Community,

We are excited to share the news that businessman and philanthropist Ravenel Curry III ’63 has pledged a $10 million gift to Furman for the renovation of Timmons Arena. Ravenel’s gift will be made following the successful completion of the overall $40 million fundraising effort for the project.

The 100,000-square-foot Timmons Arena opened on Furman’s campus in 1998 with 3,500 seats for basketball. The first phase of renovations began in September 2021 with coaches’ offices, locker rooms and film rooms. Subsequent phases will include the addition of donor suites; an improved student experience; enhanced food, beverage and merchandise concession areas; upgrades to the entrance and exterior; and changes to the court and seating area.

These renovations will have a significant impact on the student, faculty, staff and game-day experiences, and we look forward to seeing them come to fruition.

“Investing in major renovations of Timmons Arena is a wonderful opportunity to invest in our student athletes and the overall Furman student experience,” Ravenel said.

You can read more about the gift in this Furman news story.

Please join us in thanking Ravenel Curry III for the support of Furman Athletics and our student athletes.

Shout out to Paldin king for the info. This is the student email about the renovation
furpop16, QCGlue, FU Hoopla and 1 others liked this
 #64302  by FurmanFan23
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:25 am
*KingPaladin.

Big news for the Furman program. Glad to know that this is happening!
 #64305  by FurmanFan23
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:42 am
Just brainstorming. I hope they keep Timmons small. I would much rather have a smaller packed arena than a big arena with emty seats.
 #64308  by FU Hoopla
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:50 am
FurmanFan23 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:42 am
Just brainstorming. I hope they keep Timmons small. I would much rather have a smaller packed arena than a big arena with emty seats.
Around 3,000 - 3,500 would be the way to go
We always have downtown for the bigger crowds of 5k+

Above all else it needs to be very nice and perfect for watching BASKETBALL
 #64309  by apaladin
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:01 pm
First thank you Mr. Curry!!! That is an awesome donation! So now JD pretty much said nothing is happening until the balance of the moneyis raised. He said more than half has been raised. Does that inckude Mr. Curry’s donation or not? Either way reading between the lines we are/were not close to raising the money needed after 2+ years which is disappointing. JD has said many times they were waiting for that one “cornerstone” donation to get things rolloing. Ok FU has that now thanks to Mr. Curry. The ball is now in Furman’s court.
 #64311  by FurmanFan23
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:04 pm
I read the article as having 30/40. None the less great news for Furman. Thank you, Mr.Curr!!!!
 #64316  by FU Hoopla
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:11 pm
apaladin wrote:
First thank you Mr. Curry!!! That is an awesome donation! So now JD pretty much said nothing is happening until the balance of the moneyis raised. He said more than half has been raised. Does that inckude Mr. Curry’s donation or not? Either way reading between the lines we are/were not close to raising the money needed after 2+ years which is disappointing. JD has said many times they were waiting for that one “cornerstone” donation to get things rolloing. Ok FU has that now thanks to Mr. Curry. The ball is now in Furman’s court.
I read it to say we are a little over 20 million raised, we will need probably 15-20 million more and then Mr. Curry's 10 million will be added to the pot.

So now we know we still need to come up with 15-20 million to green light the project, hopefully this gift being made public will motivate others to come forward.
 #64320  by apaladin
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:20 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:11 pm
apaladin wrote:
I read it to say we are a little over 20 million raised, we will need probably 15-20 million more and then Mr. Curry's 10 million will be added to the pot.

So now we know we still need to come up with 15-20 million to green light the project, hopefully this gift being made public will motivate others to come forward.
That is the way I read it. Still nowhere close to even an announcement. Hope that is wrong and we are closer than we think. Would hate to think we are still 2-3 years away from even an announcement. If this is true, in 2+ years we”ve only reaised approximately 25%. You would think the university would kick in the balance after this most generous donation from Mr. Curry. The longer they wait the more expensive it gets.
 #64321  by Affirm
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:21 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:12 pm
Should we go ahead and start a GoFundMe, with a 20 million goal :D :D

https://www.gofundme.com
Just contact the Furman University Development Office. I imagine they have better methods in mind.
 #64322  by FU Hoopla
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:24 pm
affirm wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:21 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:12 pm
Should we go ahead and start a GoFundMe, with a 20 million goal :D :D

https://www.gofundme.com
Just contact the Furman University Development Office. I imagine they have better methods in mind.

Oh Iam sure they do, but I personally like the idea of a public model where everyone can see the total grow in real time ;)

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.