• With just a little more depth FU would dominate the SoCon

#64247  by FU Hoopla
 Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:32 am
League is really bad this year

With just a little more talent/depth we would steamroll this league EZ

So what does that tell us?

It tells us we need to get Timmons renovated SOON, Timmons is the only thing holding this program back from greatness, it hurts us in recruiting and effects our depth

I see no other obstacle in our path, we GOTTA get it done!
Last edited by FU Hoopla on Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #64248  by Sad Din
 Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:38 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:32 am
League is really bad this year

With just a little more talent/depth we would steamroll this league EZ

So what does that tell us?

It tells us we need to get Timmons renovated SOON, Timmons is the only thing holding this program back from greatness, it hurts us in recruiting and effects our depth

I see no other obstacle in our path, we GOTTA get it done!
haha... you've been the one saying it was going to happen soon. Is that not the plan now?
 #64249  by apaladin
 Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:08 pm
Unfortunately FU is not playing on a level field. Most SoCon teams are loaded with transfers, FU is still trying to do it the old fashion way. I’m not saying the FU way is wrong but certainly different. Last night UNCG had only 6 peeps score, 5 were transfers. Take away UNCG’s transfers last night and its a 30 point blowout. Take away Sammy’s 10 transfers and they have nothing. Same for UTC. 7 of the 10 SoCon teams are absoluteky loaded with transfers. With all these transfers the SoCon is not as crappy as we hoped. With that said there is no excuse for FU being 4-2 instead of 6-0. That is all on FU. Welcome back FU Hoopla!
 #64254  by cavedweller2
 Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:03 pm
Had Gurley stayed or had the opportunity to stay for academics, masters etc. then it would be a different story,
 #64260  by FU Hoopla
 Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:29 pm
Right on the CUSP of domination, need that last puzzle piece (fully renovated arena) in place to vaunt us over the top, its the only way to continue to grow the program beyond where we currently sit

2015-16 19-16
2016-17 23-12
2017-18 23-10
2018-19 25-8
2019-20 25-7
2020-21 16-9
2021-22 22-12
2022-23 13-6
apaladin, RollDins liked this
 #64264  by Furmanoid
 Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:51 am
The facility is an issue. But I think there’s a much bigger issue. I just looked at the Kenpom. Aside from a couple of Ivy’s and Vanderbilt around 90 or so, I’m not sure there’s another top 100 team with any academic standards at all. Maybe Purdue. Maybe Northwestern. Duke and UNC? Give me a break.

So is it really doable to be much better than we are right now and maintain our standards?
 #64274  by FU Hoopla
 Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:02 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
The facility is an issue. But I think there’s a much bigger issue. I just looked at the Kenpom. Aside from a couple of Ivy’s and Vanderbilt around 90 or so, I’m not sure there’s another top 100 team with any academic standards at all. Maybe Purdue. Maybe Northwestern. Duke and UNC? Give me a break.

So is it really doable to be much better than we are right now and maintain our standards?
100% will land better depth for the program through recruiting with a better facility to use as recruiting tool.

One perfect example: Our biggest problem has been lack of depth every season, imagine not having to redshirt guys every year that are not ready to contribute, depth problem solved.

As now we literally check off all the boxes for any recruit, except having a nice venue to play and practice in, and that matters big time.
 #64276  by purplehorse123
 Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:09 pm
I am not convinced that a great facility is going to draw more fans. Now if someone is saying a better facility will result in better recruits and thus a more talented team and more winning, I would not argue that.

In both football and basketball the best way to get more fans is to WIN games.
Bootie, Davemeister liked this
 #64277  by FU Hoopla
 Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:34 pm
purplehorse123 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:09 pm
I am not convinced that a great facility is going to draw more fans. Now if someone is saying a better facility will result in better recruits and thus a more talented team and more winning, I would not argue that.

In both football and basketball the best way to get more fans is to WIN games.
If someone is saying?...... That someone that is saying 'a better facility will result in better recruits and thus a more talented team and more winning' is me ;)

Everything else is already in place.....
 #64287  by Furmanoid
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:43 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:

100% will land better depth for the program through recruiting with a better facility to use as recruiting tool.

One perfect example: Our biggest problem has been lack of depth every season, imagine not having to redshirt guys every year that are not ready to contribute, depth problem solved.

As now we literally check off all the boxes for any recruit, except having a nice venue to play and practice in, and that matters big time.
Have you talked to recruits who said they would have gone to Furman if Timmons weren’t so crappy?

We do not check the boxes for “any recruit”. About 90+% of HS players need not apply. Can’t get in. Not being able to enroll is a pretty important box. We have Nike Peach Jam, the EYBL championship, here every summer. FU coaches are always there. But likely 60-70% of the players would have no interest because they are too good. Of the 30-40% left very few are geniuses believe it or not. The 2 or 3 who are really smart will parlay their skills into Ivy League degrees that are basically golden tickets into the ruling class. So I feel really sorry for the FU guy sent down to recruit that event.
 #64291  by GOAT
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:03 am
Furmanoid wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:

[/quo

Have you talked to recruits who said they would have gone to Furman if Timmons weren’t so crappy?

We do not check the boxes for “any recruit”. About 90+% of HS players need not apply. Can’t get in. Not being able to enroll is a pretty important box. We have Nike Peach Jam, the EYBL championship, here every summer. FU coaches are always there. But likely 60-70% of the players would have no interest because they are too good. Of the 30-40% left very few are geniuses believe it or not. The 2 or 3 who are really smart will parlay their skills into Ivy League degrees that are basically golden tickets into the ruling class. So I feel really sorry for the FU guy sent down to recruit that event.
I have four children that have all gone through the college search process over the last 7 years. Furman is a good school but it is not an elite school. It is just as hard to get into South Carolina and Clemson as it is Furman. It is much harder to get into UNC, Emory and Vanderbilt than Furman. I do not know what exceptions Furman makes for athletes but I am confident it is something. I would be surprised if getting in is our problem. We have the talent right now to win the SC and we had it last year.
 #64293  by FUBeAR
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:29 am
GOAT wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:03 am
Furmanoid wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:

[/quo

I have four children that have all gone through the college search process over the last 7 years. Furman is a good school but it is not an elite school. It is just as hard to get into South Carolina and Clemson as it is Furman. It is much harder to get into UNC, Emory and Vanderbilt than Furman. I do not know what exceptions Furman makes for athletes but I am confident it is something. I would be surprised if getting in is our problem. We have the talent right now to win the SC and we had it last year.
Though ‘hard data’ is almost, or fully, impossible to secure, it is common knowledge or at least widely recognized/surmised that the ‘exceptions made for athletes’ at South Carolina, Clemson, UNC, and even Vanderbilt far exceed those available, if any, for potential Furman student athletes. At the P5 level, in almost all cases, the Admissions Standards for non-athletes are irrelevant for athletes.

With the ever-increasing NIL cash available, which, in actuality, has become nothing but “pay to play” at the P5 level, FUBeAR expects that whatever minimal admission standards are in place at P5 schools now will further and rapidly erode to nearly none.
 #64294  by tim
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:23 am
I fully expect to soon see UGA vs Atl Falcons :D I will say that I had one son to go to grad school from FU and the grad school process was a breeze compared to the admission process at FU. He got a paid asst deal teaching undergrads while scholarshiped for the grad degree. I got the impression that FU kids were preferred by the grads.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.