• Oh oh....

#64011  by gofurman
 Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:12 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:22 am
One other thought -

UIW was a bit unique in their approach. I was surprised in the lead up to the game and looking over their stats how frequently they were penalized (among the most penalties per game in the country). Watching them play, though, it made more sense why.

UIW plays a high attacking aggressive style on both sides of the ball. Offensively, they know they can quickly make up penalty yardage, so they are going to push the edge on false starts trying to get an advantage.

Defensively, they are primarily concerned with forcing turnovers. They want more possessions for the offense. That will put them in a position where you'll get beat from time to time in the passing game, but college DBs will often drag a receiver down instead of giving up the big play.

Refs aren't going to flag you on every play. If the goal is more possessions for the offense, you can quickly make up penalty yardage, and maybe one or two of the plays you "get away with" leads to a score or a turnover, what do you care if you draw a few flags?

Admittedly, UIW was about the only team I watched this year that could play that sort of football game.
Jackal, I agree. Thus my note on " Announcers agreed that by rule that is obvious defensive holding. (I sort of think UIW is coached that way…. To put the refs in tough positions..but that’s a different discussion and an interesting one)

I think it was Bobby Bowden who said he didn't mind fouls of aggression (late hit on QB, what have you) as he felt the NET EFFECT of a few penalties was offset by the positive of the late hits etc. Something like that. I get it. I am almost sure Georgetown basketball in the era of Patrick Ewing was told to "goaltend on purpose' and not worry about the free points as it would bother the other team later to know any shot could get swatted...
Davemeister liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.