• Retrospect

#63882  by JohnKX512
 Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:44 pm
Y'all remember when Timmons was empty and we couldnt win a SoCon game? I do. I only went to games as a student for free food and usually could get a free shirt or some coupons. "I attended games for the discounts and because I was a poor student". The concession ladies would give us the leftover popcorn and pretzels to take back to the house.

Presently we are battling it out for the top two in the SoCon for 5 years straight. Our games are televised nationally. Our students go to games because they want to. We beat ranked teams.

Check yourself before you wreck yourself.
 #63883  by RaleighDin
 Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:54 pm
JohnKX512 wrote:
Y'all remember when Timmons was empty and we couldnt win a SoCon game? I do. I only went to games as a student for free food and usually could get a free shirt or some coupons. "I attended games for the discounts and because I was a poor student". The concession ladies would give us the leftover popcorn and pretzels to take back to the house.

Presently we are battling it out for the top two in the SoCon for 5 years straight. Our games are televised nationally. Our students go to games because they want to. We beat ranked teams.

No lies detected. I remember being able to walk in as a student right at gametime and sit front row center court facing the benches.

It's nice that people care if we lose now, but everyone needs to realize how far this program has come in such a short time. For this year specifically, all our goals are still ahead of us!
Roundball liked this
 #63884  by soconjohn
 Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:15 pm
And whatever Dippin' Dots were drew more of a crowd at times than the game.
 #63907  by paladinfan12
 Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:50 am
JohnKX512 wrote:

I am from the same era as you. It was so easy to go to a game, get a great seat, and get free pizza and hot dogs. There was a brief moment of some really good players (Amu Saaka, Justin Miller, Colin & Charlie Reddick) but even then that team was never threatening for a SoCon title. Happy to see the improvement.
Roundball liked this
 #63909  by FurmanATT
 Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:20 pm
I spent 20 years traveling all over the country covering NASCAR. I went to a few games before, and I thought Timmons was awful, another multipurpose facility that didn't do any of the purposes well. Now I cover all the games for my website, FurmanATT.com. The joint is hopping. It seems like a whole new place. I love it. -- MD
Roundball, furpop16, dornb liked this
 #63910  by JohnKX512
 Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:37 pm
I also remember the year Greenville High played in Timmons. Went to three games and they were more packed and 100% louder than the Furman games.

If you had told me ten years ago we would be beating power 5 teams, I would think you were crazy. It is ABSURD the amount of growth this program has had.

Playing in Lay would have been more fun than the Walmart with a basketball court. Now we are more like a Target with a basketball court...
 #63913  by Furmanoid
 Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:50 am
This thread is very good. It explains a lot with respect to the UFFP generation gap and perspectives.

I started following FU basketball when my brother was a Freshman and we had just hired this up and coming coach from Jacksonville. FU got REALLY good really fast. At Furman Scholars Day in ‘78, we got introduced to Coach Williams and his new prized recruit, Jonathan Moore. Things looked great. Then before I could even get enrolled, Williams went FSU and the slide began.

So this is all my fault. If I had gone to CofC, they would never have gotten any good, and FU would have another 20-30 championships.

But anyway, I was bummed even during the Moore era because we could could kinda see where things were heading.

On the other hand a lot of you guys started following Furman when they sucked out loud, so it makes sense that second or third in the SoCon sounds pretty damn good to you.

I stopped following them at a certain point because I had other things to do, and they weren’t any good. That either makes me a bad fan or normal depending on how you look at it. Then a few years back we improved and the buzz around the coach got me to hoping that maybe he could pull a Joe Williams. It isn’t happening. So it is a little disappointing. But that’s on me for being unrealistic. I guess we’ll never be that good again.

Unless we use NIL from rich alum to buy 2-3 good players. But prices are way up since Joe’s day.
FUBeAR liked this
 #63917  by JohnKX512
 Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:27 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:50 am
This thread is very good. It explains a lot with respect to the UFFP generation gap and perspectives.

I started following FU basketball when my brother was a Freshman and we had just hired this up and coming coach from Jacksonville. FU got REALLY good really fast. At Furman Scholars Day in ‘78, we got introduced to Coach Williams and his new prized recruit, Jonathan Moore. Things looked great. Then before I could even get enrolled, Williams went FSU and the slide began.

So this is all my fault. If I had gone to CofC, they would never have gotten any good, and FU would have another 20-30 championships.

But anyway, I was bummed even during the Moore era because we could could kinda see where things were heading.

On the other hand a lot of you guys started following Furman when they sucked out loud, so it makes sense that second or third in the SoCon sounds pretty damn good to you.

I stopped following them at a certain point because I had other things to do, and they weren’t any good. That either makes me a bad fan or normal depending on how you look at it. Then a few years back we improved and the buzz around the coach got me to hoping that maybe he could pull a Joe Williams. It isn’t happening. So it is a little disappointing. But that’s on me for being unrealistic. I guess we’ll never be that good again.

Unless we use NIL from rich alum to buy 2-3 good players. But prices are way up since Joe’s day.
You pretty much summed up what a bandwagon fan is

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.