• 2023 Recruiting Diamond Cha23rs

#63815  by The Jackal
 Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:18 pm
Cook looks like one of those shorter explosive/quick defensive tackles.

Wingate is a top 15 DII team. I think they went 11-3 and lost in the D2 quarterfinals.

Cook had 15 tackles for a loss, 11 sacks, and 11 hurries on the season. So, at least at the D2 level, he was a wrecking ball in the backfield.

Sounds like he could fit Furman as a rotational pass rusher inside.
gman84 liked this
 #63824  by gman84
 Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:04 am
Wingate had strong season in 22. Made it to the 3rd round of D2 playoffs. He wouldn't get an offer if he wasn't a player.
 #63825  by FUBeAR
 Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:49 am
Looks like a ’disrupter’ with his career TFL’s, Sacks, and even PD results…

Defense Statistics
Season GP SOLO AST TOT TFL-YDS SACKS-YDS INT PD FF FR BLK
2018 10 9 20 29 4-13 1.5-7 0 1 1 0 0
2020 4 3 10 13 3-9 0-0 0 0 0 0 0
2021 9 12 28 40 11.5-57 6-47 0 0 1 1 0
2022 13 14 30 44 15-67 11-55 0 4 1 2 1
Total 36 38 88 126 33.5-146 18.5-109 0 5 3 3 1

Haven’t watched any vid, but with his size, would just imagine quickness, ball get-off, and motor have been his differentiating characteristics. IFBO, this translates well from D2 to FCS. He would probably be seeing longer OLman at the FCS level, but so many FCS OLineman have +height & -athleticism.

Quickness, burst, and motor > length
 #63831  by The Jackal
 Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:52 am
Jaylan Reid had a similar physical profile.

Some of these shorter explosive players with a quick first step playing on the inside can be a nightmare to block.

I think one advantage Furman maybe has now that they didn't have in Reid's day is a lot more depth and a constant rotation of high motor guys to keep throwing at an offensive line.
 #63836  by Louis Tully
 Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:49 pm
The nose guard on my High School team was about 5’4 and 225 lbs with one eye and meat hooked size hands. Abnormally large hands. When he latched on to you, you didn’t get away.
 #63839  by The Jackal
 Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:23 am

The more I think about it, the more I appreciate how Furman has handled the transfer portal.

1. I have long been of the opinion that a program's roster construction philosophy has to heavily rely on transfers or heavily rely on high school recruiting. You don't see many teams successfully do both. That is all the more so in the era of the transfer portal.

2. Furman never really wavered and has continued to stay committed through building their program through high school recruiting. These days, I'm not sure that isn't an advantage to Furman. We may have access to talented high school recruits that other programs are overlooking in favor of portal guys.

3. The times that we've used the portal (and it's almost a necessity in this era) is hasn't been for mercenaries. I believe all of our portal transfers are still on the roster.

4. At some point, I believe there are going to be some boundaries put up on the NIL and portal transfers. It's too much free agency at this point. If Furman has spent years in the high schools while other programs are spending the same time on their computers on campus, that may set us up well for the future when there are changes afoot.

5. We are retaining our players. The portal giveth and taketh away. However, it's not really taking away from Furman. Sure, some kids transfer. Most of those are guys going on to grad programs, which I believe most of us would do if given the opportunity. We aren't having to worry about trying to keep our roster together every offseason. I believe some of that is due to a program philosophy - we are committed to developing and retaining our players.
AstroDin, dornb, FurmAlum liked this
 #63840  by FUwolfpacker
 Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:02 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:23 am

3. The times that we've used the portal (and it's almost a necessity in this era) is hasn't been for mercenaries. I believe all of our portal transfers are still on the roster.
Didn't Noah Henderson transfer in from Charlotte? He may be the only one in the portal era that has left early.

Overall a lot of good points though.
 #63842  by The Jackal
 Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:32 pm
Well, I guess I meant this past year.

Henderson transferred as a sophomore from an FBS school. I sort of set him in a different category mentally from those players that are transferring in as grad students.
 #63843  by The Jackal
 Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:34 pm
Another thought. I assume at some point this "COVID year" eligibility is going to burn off for players.

For those programs that are accepting a bunch of one-and-done super seniors, they may have a cold reality check when that pipeline of players with extra eligibility dries up and you have to go back to the high schools you've been ignoring for the last three years.
gman84, dornb, AstroDin liked this
 #63849  by apaladin
 Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:14 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Another thought. I assume at some point this "COVID year" eligibility is going to burn off for players.

For those programs that are accepting a bunch of one-and-done super seniors, they may have a cold reality check when that pipeline of players with extra eligibility dries up and you have to go back to the high schools you've been ignoring for the last three years.
……but they won’t have to go back to high schools, they will just hit the portal.
 #63856  by The Jackal
 Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:34 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:14 pm
The Jackal wrote:

……but they won’t have to go back to high schools, they will just hit the portal.

My point is a lot of guys in the portal are using extra eligibility that won't exist in a year or two.

UIW's QB was in something like his 7th season. At some point, guys like him aren't going to be in the portal.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.