• Furman @ WCU (Dec. 31st 4pm)

#63781  by apaladin
 Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:57 pm
Another example of inconsistency. We had 3 players combine for 51 points vs. VMI, those same 3 combined for 8 today.
FWIW which is nothing, here is my current SoCon power rankings:
1. UNCG 2 road wins
2. Samford 2-0
3. ETSU 2 road wins
4. Chattanooga impressive bounce back game
5. Citadel good win vs. UTC
6. WCU not sure how good todays win was
7. Furman thru purple colored glasses.
8. Wofford 0-2
9. Mercer 0-2
10. VMI
BTW WCU has lost to:
UNCA by 12
G-Webb by 16
Upstate by 15 😳😳😳
 #63784  by The Cats
 Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:54 pm
apaladin, I think you are judging your team a little too harshly.

I'm sure tonight's game was a wake-up call for the Furman team, as I expect they were in the mindset to just show up and win against a weak WCU team that had been dominated by UNCG just a few days ago. No doubt it was a trap game for your team.

IMO, Furman is still the team to beat in the SoCon, and in the long run, tonight's loss may be beneficial, even though it is hard for the Furman fans to see it right now. I do wish your Paladins good luck for the remainder of the season, except, of course, for when the Catamounts make a visit to Traveler's Rest in February.
 #63786  by apaladin
 Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:27 am
The Cats wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:54 pm
apaladin, I think you are judging your team a little too harshly.

I'm sure tonight's game was a wake-up call for the Furman team, as I expect they were in the mindset to just show up and win against a weak WCU team that had been dominated by UNCG just a few days ago. No doubt it was a trap game for your team.

IMO, Furman is still the team to beat in the SoCon, and in the long run, tonight's loss may be beneficial, even though it is hard for the Furman fans to see it right now. I do wish your Paladins good luck for the remainder of the season, except, of course, for when the Catamounts make a visit to Traveler's Rest in February.
Thanks Cats but its not just today, its the whole season. We have 2 players that show up every game the rest may or may not. If one of them happens to have a really good game its almost a given they disappear the next game. We lost at home to a High Point team that has lost 5 straight since then. I do give myself credit saying WCU would play much better today and be a totally different team and they really did. A shame FU didn’t realize the last game means nothing. Anyway good luck to the Cats and don’t pull a FU and forget to show up the next game.
 #63789  by FurmAlum
 Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:40 am
Looking at the stat line we shot well enough to win most games. But our offensive execution at crunch time was not good.

The defense wasn't either as they kept getting drives to the rim too many times and also shot 45% from the 3 point line. But the real ball buster was the offensive rebounds and loose balls they got. I think that's what has Coach R upset the most.

Bottom line is we got out hustled and out played the last 10 min. of the game.
apaladin liked this
 #63792  by soconjohn
 Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:55 am
Was at the game today...I felt like WCU was going to play well today coming into it...They are much better in my opinion than they were last season, and they are a dark horse in the league in my opinion...Furman is a talented basketball team...We all know that and they have great depth...They got out-toughed in the second half...WCU 100% deserved the win...They have talent as well...Furman though right now is pressing and not playing with the type of joy on both ends that championship teams do...Are they talented enough to win it? Of course, they are...But being talented enough to do something almost creates a more difficult problem to solve when it comes to winning a championship. Either they will or they won't...Simple as that...The good thing is, Furman is far from playing its best basketball, but now isn't a bad time to start...Other Furman teams played far better in January than March...So there's a lot of ways to look at it...I would say congrats to WCU for a good win rather than beat Furman up too much about the loss...They know today's lack of consistency on both ends won't cut it in this league...They don't need a reminder...Sometimes coaching is letting the 18-22 year-olds figure it out on their own...It's a part of life...Trusting them with figuring that out and giving the right amount of slack in the leash to do it is a real balancing act, but one that is necessary...That's what coach Richey and staff are charged with...Certainly not easy, but confident they will.
FUBeAR, FurmAlum liked this
 #63793  by soconjohn
 Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:02 am
I'll add that Hien had joy today...He was having fun...His line won't reflect it, but I'll tell you Alex Williams gave great effort...Two offensive rebounds while he was in and drew fouls...He had a desire to play and win...He should see some more playing time if he keeps that up in practice this week I think.
FUBeAR, Roundball, apaladin liked this
 #63794  by Roundball
 Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:12 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:54 pm
The Cats wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:46 pm
Real losers when all you can do is belittle the intelligence and/or talent of your opponents.

I'm sure the Cats may probably lose this game, but it would be real justice to such an arrogant & pompous fan base if the Cats won today.
Your team is always full of players that play 'hood' basketball, that is a fact, I don't give a rats what you think of Furman, I have no respect for your program and never have
What is “hood” basketball? If it means a lot of one on one drives to the basketball, you are right. If it is a derogatory comment about the young men playing the game, get out of here. That is uncalled for. If it means one on one drives, High Point played the same brand of basketball and beat us too.
FurmAlum liked this
 #63796  by The Cats
 Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:30 am
Roundball wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:12 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:54 pm
The Cats wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:46 pm
Real losers when all you can do is belittle the intelligence and/or talent of your opponents.

I'm sure the Cats may probably lose this game, but it would be real justice to such an arrogant & pompous fan base if the Cats won today.
Your team is always full of players that play 'hood' basketball, that is a fact, I don't give a rats what you think of Furman, I have no respect for your program and never have
What is “hood” basketball? If it means a lot of one on one drives to the basketball, you are right. If it is a derogatory comment about the young men playing the game, get out of here. That is uncalled for. If it means one on one drives, High Point played the same brand of basketball and beat us too.
Thank-you for your post. Those were my thoughts as well, but didn't want to go down that road on your message board. You took care of it rather well, and means much more coming from a Furman fan.
 #63797  by Furmanoid
 Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:38 am
Fuonetime wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:46 pm
I wonder if coach will get mad at some of us going “negative.”Actually, i hope he goes a little negative. If we are negative its because we care and this team seems to be underachieving. It is so perplexing. We have a veteran team, good staff and a highly regarded head coach. What’s the problem? WCU has a lot of transfers and we have a more stable roster. They did out shoot us but not by much. The biggest difference between the teams in tonight’s game was rebound total. WCU had 35 rebounds and we had 21 rebounds. Coach has said the team that wants to win the rebounding advantage is the team that wants it the most. Accordingly, we did not want it enough. Hope we get it figured out as the season clock is running.
Defense and rebounding are about desire and pure athletic ability. Offense is about skill. I hate to think that our guys don’t have the desire, but it looks that way sometimes even in wins. (I didn’t even see this game). On the other hand, it could be that we have decently skilled guys who just aren’t super athletic. If the issue is athleticism AND desire, yikes.
 #63817  by FurmanATT
 Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:04 pm
What constitutes a team's character -- not to mention a person's -- is how well it responds to adversity. The great times are enjoyable and glorious and inspiring, but they don't make a good team great. It's why so few teams go undefeated. They must be exposed to their own mortality.
The game put me in a funk, too, but this can be a meaningful turning point. It can also send the team into a more serious tailspin. It's all how everyone reacts.
I always think this. Sometimes it seems as if no one realizes that the other team tries, too. Western deserves credit for whipping our asses. Now bounce back with a vengeance, Dins. Show what you got.
I harbor a lot of opinions, too, but I don't know as much about the team as the folks who watch it practice every day do. Sometimes they're too close to the situation, maybe. Sometimes, for a while, they can't see the forest for the trees. They'll come around. They'll match the tangibles with the intangibles. No virtue is more useful than patience, and patience is the most rare. See you Wednesday night -- MD
apaladin liked this
 #63818  by purplehorse123
 Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:22 am
Did not realize Western outscored us 38-17 the last 16 minutes of the game. How embarrassing. Back to playing only one half of basketball.

Congrats to Hien on scoring 20.

If he and Slawson knocked down most of their 3’s from top of the key and we played D we could go 17- 1 in conference. Both are capable of it and I wish Slawson would shoot more of these wide open 3’s. If you aren’t feeling it and miss your first 2-3, THEN drive more.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.