• 2023 Recruiting Diamond Cha23rs

#63121  by The Jackal
 Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:29 pm
A few thoughts on receivers/TEs:

1. For much of the last 20 years, Furman really hasn't had an intimidating receiver corps. We've had a few slot guys that put up a lot of catches, but the unit as a whole has never really been one that makes headline news.

2. Recently, you've seen Furman really go after bigger pass catchers. Josh Harris, Ethan Harris, Kyndel Dean, and Luke Shiflett are all 6'1/'6'2. You see a lot of size in the guys they are targeting this season.

3. TE has been a difficult position for us to develop, but you see the concerted effort to focus on that position in recruiting under Roper. We used two TEs more this season than perhaps the last 20 years combined with the exception of the few years with Larry Hedden and Chris Truss. Miller was never really a prototype at the position - essentially a wide receiver in a running back's body. You can tell that Roper wants to run multiple TEs and we really need to start filling out that depth chart. Behind Miller and Gissinger this year was a grab bag of converted WRs and linebackers.

4. I like what I saw out of Ben Ferguson this year. Ferguson already looked pretty physical for a freshman, and may end up filling in some of the Ryan Miller snaps as a slot receiver working underneath the coverage.

5. I really like signing a guy like Holbrook. If the Herres comps are remotely close, then that's a huge weapon for the offense - a guy that can just out muscle defenders over the middle. You can cover guys like that, but they can frequently just out jump you.

6. Our recruiting early in Hendrix's tenure for pass catchers has been hit or miss.
  • Class of 2017: 1 WR - Cam Burnette - who later transferred
  • Class of 2018: Zach Peterson (transferred), Louis Hall (never or rarely played), and Dejuan Bell (showed promise, but never really made an impact). The 2018 class also had Ryan Miller, who definitely was a hit
  • Class of 2019: Jake Kimmelman (transferred, I guess) and Wayne Anderson (RB until this year)
  • Class of 2020: Noah Henderson (transfer who is now a backup TE), Kelton Gunn (rarely seen beyond special teams), and Bailor Hughes (rarely seen beyond special teams)
  • Class of 2021: Josh Harris (stud), Jack Healey at TE (no longer on roster), Landon Whittemore at TE (no longer on roster),
So, over Hendrix's first 5 signing classes, he essentially found two impact receivers - Ryan Miller and Joshua Harris. Wayne Anderson had a solid season after having changed positions, and transfers Dean and Shiflett have added depth and have been key contributors.
 #63290  by gofurman
 Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:40 am
The Jackal wrote:

1. For much of the last 20 years, Furman really hasn't had an intimidating receiver corps. We've had a few slot guys that put up a lot of catches, but the unit as a whole has never really been one that makes headline news.

2. Recently, you've seen Furman really go after bigger pass catchers. Josh Harris, Ethan Harris, Kyndel Dean, and Luke Shiflett are all 6'1/'6'2. You see a lot of size in the guys they are targeting this season.

3. TE has been a difficult position for us to develop, but you see the concerted effort to focus on that position in recruiting under Roper. We used two TEs more this season than perhaps the last 20 years combined with the exception of the few years with Larry Hedden and Chris Truss. Miller was never really a prototype at the position - essentially a wide receiver in a running back's body. You can tell that Roper wants to run multiple TEs and we really need to start filling out that depth chart. Behind Miller and Gissinger this year was a grab bag of converted WRs and linebackers.

4. I like what I saw out of Ben Ferguson this year. Ferguson already looked pretty physical for a freshman, and may end up filling in some of the Ryan Miller snaps as a slot receiver working underneath the coverage.

5. I really like signing a guy like Holbrook. If the Herres comps are remotely close, then that's a huge weapon for the offense - a guy that can just out muscle defenders over the middle. You can cover guys like that, but they can frequently just out jump you.

6. Our recruiting early in Hendrix's tenure for pass catchers has been hit or miss.
  • Class of 2018: Zach Peterson (transferred), Louis Hall (never or rarely played), and Dejuan Bell (showed promise, but never really made an impact). The 2018 class also had Ryan Miller, who definitely was a hit
  • Class of 2019: Jake Kimmelman (transferred, I guess) and Wayne Anderson (RB until this year)
  • Class of 2020: Noah Henderson (transfer who is now a backup TE), Kelton Gunn (rarely seen beyond special teams), and Bailor Hughes (rarely seen beyond special teams)
  • Class of 2021: Josh Harris (stud), Jack Healey at TE (no longer on roster), Landon Whittemore at TE (no longer on roster),
So, over Hendrix's first 5 signing classes, he essentially found two impact receivers - Ryan Miller and Joshua Harris. Wayne Anderson had a solid season after having changed positions, and transfers Dean and Shiflett have added depth and have been key contributors.
Jackal, I completely agree. I want to be wrong but really our best "WR" most years is our TE. That's just a fact. And that's great that we have such absolute killer TEs but I think a little of what is needed to be "elite" is at least one more freak at WR. I recall beating Jacksonville State in 2004 playoffs and it was the combination of BRATTON and IKE WEST. That's the last time I felt we were truly scary at WR. Here is the box score:

https://static.jsugamecocksports.com/cu ... m#GAME.NEW

First score - West
Next score - West
Next score - Bratton

That team had the tools to really win it all. Crushing receivers. GREAT QB!!!. Felton -NFL FB. LBs that were killers, Defense that was a killer.

THough we may never see another Martin at QB that is a rule we cannot help.. now guys just transfer from FBS to FBS and don't have to drop down to FCS to keep playing like Martin did.

But Bobby J (I think they were his recruits) got us Bratton and West. There is no reason we can't do that again. Tough? Yes. But doable... That has been a missing piece on our O for a while. PURE SPEED at WR.

Appreciate you listing who we recruited each year.. That was a good "visual". Joshua Harris is a definite good one and upgrade. So glad we got him. Just one more would make it impossible for opposing D to cover all the options (both WR speedsters, Huff, RB, etc etc. Maybe with Roper having us throw more we can get WRs to commit a little easier? Hey Landon Parker at Wofford impressed me!! Get him
 #63293  by The Jackal
 Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:47 am
gofurman wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:40 am
The Jackal wrote:

Jackal, I completely agree. I want to be wrong but really our best "WR" most years is our TE. That's just a fact. And that's great that we have such absolute killer TEs but I think a little of what is needed to be "elite" is at least one more freak at WR. I recall beating Jacksonville State in 2004 playoffs and it was the combination of BRATTON and IKE WEST. That's the last time I felt we were truly scary at WR. Here is the box score:

https://static.jsugamecocksports.com/cu ... m#GAME.NEW

First score - West
Next score - West
Next score - Bratton

That team had the tools to really win it all. Crushing receivers. GREAT QB!!!. Felton -NFL FB. LBs that were killers, Defense that was a killer.

THough we may never see another Martin at QB that is a rule we cannot help.. now guys just transfer from FBS to FBS and don't have to drop down to FCS to keep playing like Martin did.

But Bobby J (I think they were his recruits) got us Bratton and West. There is no reason we can't do that again. Tough? Yes. But doable... That has been a missing piece on our O for a while. PURE SPEED at WR.

Appreciate you listing who we recruited each year.. That was a good "visual". Joshua Harris is a definite good one and upgrade. So glad we got him. Just one more would make it impossible for opposing D to cover all the options (both WR speedsters, Huff, RB, etc etc. Maybe with Roper having us throw more we can get WRs to commit a little easier? Hey Landon Parker at Wofford impressed me!! Get him
I do not believe it is a "fact" that our best receiver most years is a TE.

Ryan Miller led the team in receiving the last two seasons, but no one actually thinks he's a traditional TE. Furman primarily uses him as a slot receiver, which is where it looks like he'll play if he makes it to the NFL.

Other than Miller, the only season in the last 10 years or so where a TE led the team in receiving was 2012 and Colin Anderson. I think you are forgetting about guys like Thomas Gordon, Andrej Suttles, Adam Mims, and Jordan Snellings.

And while you keep highlighting "speed" I think that is too simple an explanation. Furman has plenty of speed. What they've lacked most years is depth and the inability to get consistent play from the QB position.

One reason Bratton and West were so effective is because we had two standout wide receivers on the same roster with a standout QB. Remember, no matter how fast someone is, someone's still got to throw the ball to them.
 #63548  by AstroDin
 Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:37 am
We must remember there are some moving pieces regarding a commitment, paperwork, and an official offer.

Brooks was a very late commit, which makes me think it could be related to paperwork if he still is committed to Furman. But it's a guess.
 #63549  by AstroDin
 Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:56 am
We, as fans, don't understand when our coaches pull a coup on getting a player to sign.

The more I read about Marquis Vincent, getting Vincent to commit to Furman over W&M and others was a huge win. Vincent is a DUDE. He was a terror for offensive linemen and runningbacks and quarterbacks.

Vincent is currently listed at 6-1 260. He has some of the quickest feet I've seen on a big man, and he's strong. See below. Vincent should build into a 270-275 DL player for Furman.