Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:15 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:12 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:41 am
VMI has one game left @Fordham 12/22 before we play them
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... /401487635
VMI lost @Fordham in overtime 80-77
That would be 12-1 Fordham. Yep this SoCon is gonna be a breeze!! :lol: :lol: They were 12-23 from 3 until the last couple of desperation 3’s.
If we are anywhere close to what we’ve been saying we are, it should be pretty much of a breeze. I have deferred to smarter people on this. Before the season I opined that it was difficult to understand how we were going to be so much better after losing our good 3 point shooters. But it was gently explained to me that I was a complete idiot and that Anderson and Lawrence would obviously pick up that slack and then some. Heck it was pointed out that we had even a bunch more fantastic shooters just waiting to play. So obviously those guys are holding back getting ready to explode in conference play! Right?
You honestly think the offense is the problem?? We cheer for the same team, so let’s just rally them on into conference play. The defense is what we miss most about AH and CG, not their offense. Furman is yet again the top of the league in offensive efficiency, but sure, throw jabs that you were “right” about missing those guys. All people did here was lay out the shooting statistics of the returning players. Merry Christmas, Furmanoid!
Thanks I didn’t remember who all it was, but obviously you were one of those helping to get my mind right. So I admit to throwing a little jab back. Sorry. But I was struck the other night with how many people were dismayed by FU “jacking up” so many 3’s and missing. Not me though, because if I say a word on that subject I get pounded.

Look, our opportunity to prove ourselves against good teams is over. There are no good teams in the SoCon. So it’s too bad that we have no more opportunities. We fell kinda flat and that really disappointed me because you really had convinced that this was the year.

But it’s also good about the SoCon because we really shouldn’t have real opportunities to lose either. So I have said from day 1 and continue to say that we will win the SoCon. And I’m not even all that gung ho. But then some people want to say that we are really, really good, but the SoCon may just be too high of a mountain. Shouldn’t expect too much. C’mon its one or the other. We can’t be all that good and continue to lose the freaking SoCon. If we’re good, we’re gonna murder this conference.

About defense, yes, it’s pretty bad. It looks like either we are just not putting out effort (I’d love to know what’s up with that) or we are just slow. Hopefully we are just lazy, because that can be fixed.
All discussion is good, even when heated.
Personally I am just glad you're no longer on here saying that we are about as good as a decent DII team ;)
 #63526  by Furmanoid
 Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:00 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:41 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:26 pm
PaladinPower wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:36 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:29 pm
apaladin wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
That would be 12-1 Fordham. Yep this SoCon is gonna be a breeze!! :lol: :lol: They were 12-23 from 3 until the last couple of desperation 3’s.
If we are anywhere close to what we’ve been saying we are, it should be pretty much of a breeze. I have deferred to smarter people on this. Before the season I opined that it was difficult to understand how we were going to be so much better after losing our good 3 point shooters. But it was gently explained to me that I was a complete idiot and that Anderson and Lawrence would obviously pick up that slack and then some. Heck it was pointed out that we had even a bunch more fantastic shooters just waiting to play. So obviously those guys are holding back getting ready to explode in conference play! Right?
You honestly think the offense is the problem?? We cheer for the same team, so let’s just rally them on into conference play. The defense is what we miss most about AH and CG, not their offense. Furman is yet again the top of the league in offensive efficiency, but sure, throw jabs that you were “right” about missing those guys. All people did here was lay out the shooting statistics of the returning players. Merry Christmas, Furmanoid!
Thanks I didn’t remember who all it was, but obviously you were one of those helping to get my mind right. So I admit to throwing a little jab back. Sorry. But I was struck the other night with how many people were dismayed by FU “jacking up” so many 3’s and missing. Not me though, because if I say a word on that subject I get pounded.

Look, our opportunity to prove ourselves against good teams is over. There are no good teams in the SoCon. So it’s too bad that we have no more opportunities. We fell kinda flat and that really disappointed me because you really had convinced that this was the year.

But it’s also good about the SoCon because we really shouldn’t have real opportunities to lose either. So I have said from day 1 and continue to say that we will win the SoCon. And I’m not even all that gung ho. But then some people want to say that we are really, really good, but the SoCon may just be too high of a mountain. Shouldn’t expect too much. C’mon its one or the other. We can’t be all that good and continue to lose the freaking SoCon. If we’re good, we’re gonna murder this conference.

About defense, yes, it’s pretty bad. It looks like either we are just not putting out effort (I’d love to know what’s up with that) or we are just slow. Hopefully we are just lazy, because that can be fixed.
Personally I am just glad you're no longer on here saying that we are about as good as a decent DII team ;)
Umm, well I do go to most Augusta U games, and I’m pretty sure if they played Furman 5 times they’d win at least 2, but they #12 and they lost in the finals last year so they’re better than decent. That would be a very interesting matchup that I’m glad we won’t see.
 #63527  by FU Hoopla
 Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:42 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
PaladinPower wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
apaladin wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:

Umm, well I do go to most Augusta U games, and I’m pretty sure if they played Furman 5 times they’d win at least 2, but they #12 and they lost in the finals last year so they’re better than decent. That would be a very interesting matchup that I’m glad we won’t see.
 #63528  by apaladin
 Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:45 pm
I think that saying there are no good teams in the SoCon is just flat out wrong. Several have better wins than FU and better performances against better than SC power 5 teams. I have watched every SoCon team play at least one and several more than once. I fully expect every SoCon game to be a war. Everyone will be shooting for FU so everyone will give FU their best shot.
furpop16 liked this
 #63531  by tya1
 Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:24 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
PaladinPower wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
apaladin wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:

I don't know much about Augusta U. so I checked the Massey ratings for schedule comparisons. No common opponents with Furman but the first I found second hand comparison was - Augusta beat Catawba in OT, Catawba beat North Greenville by 16, and Furman beat NG by 36. So by the transitive property - Catawba and Augusta are about equal, Catawba was 16 better than NG and Furman is about 20 points better than Catawba and Augusta.

I don't think a team 20 points worse will win 40% of their games with the better team. Anything is possible, but 10% would be pushing credibility.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #63545  by Furmanoid
 Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:32 pm
tya1 wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
PaladinPower wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
apaladin wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:

I don't know much about Augusta U. so I checked the Massey ratings for schedule comparisons. No common opponents with Furman but the first I found second hand comparison was - Augusta beat Catawba in OT, Catawba beat North Greenville by 16, and Furman beat NG by 36. So by the transitive property - Catawba and Augusta are about equal, Catawba was 16 better than NG and Furman is about 20 points better than Catawba and Augusta.

I don't think a team 20 points worse will win 40% of their games with the better team. Anything is possible, but 10% would be pushing credibility.
OK, good points. But not so fast. USCA beat Anderson by 22. We beat them by 27. So, OK Furman is a little tiny bit better than USCA but only a little better. But Fayetteville State beat USCA by 15. So by your line of reasoning Fayetteville State is considerably better than FU, and danged if AU didn’t beat Fayetteville State by 16. So by your thinking Fayetteville State is 37 better than NG or 10 better than FU. So AU is 26 better than FU.

And North Greenville lost to Southern Wesleyan by 20. Barton beat Southern Wesleyan by 34. AU beat Barton by 12. So it’s great that FU is 36 better than NG. But AU is 66 better than NG or 30 better than FU. I think a team 30 points better than another team should win at least 40% of the time they play them.

Obviously this is sort of a dumb evaluation system, but you started it.

AU has a couple of shooters who really light it up, but they also have a 7’1” guy who is actually good. So it would be a very interesting matchup. That’s all I said. If the bad FU shows up, they lose. If the good FU shows up, they win.

If DII is so bad that even the top 10 teams have no chance against FU, why do we count those as real games? Why are we 9-4 instead of 6-4? Last time AU played a DI that I remember it counted as an exhibition which was fortunate for the loser(USC a year or so after the final 4 appearance).

Geez man, I said they’d win 2 out of 5. Calm down.
 #63558  by FU Hoopla
 Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:20 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
tya1 wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
PaladinPower wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
apaladin wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:

OK, good points. But not so fast. USCA beat Anderson by 22. We beat them by 27. So, OK Furman is a little tiny bit better than USCA but only a little better. But Fayetteville State beat USCA by 15. So by your line of reasoning Fayetteville State is considerably better than FU, and danged if AU didn’t beat Fayetteville State by 16. So by your thinking Fayetteville State is 37 better than NG or 10 better than FU. So AU is 26 better than FU.

And North Greenville lost to Southern Wesleyan by 20. Barton beat Southern Wesleyan by 34. AU beat Barton by 12. So it’s great that FU is 36 better than NG. But AU is 66 better than NG or 30 better than FU. I think a team 30 points better than another team should win at least 40% of the time they play them.

AU has a couple of shooters who really light it up, but they also have a 7’1” guy who is actually good. So it would be a very interesting matchup. That’s all I said. If the bad FU shows up, they lose. If the good FU shows up, they win.

If DII is so bad that even the top 10 teams have no chance against FU, why do we count those as real games? Why are we 9-4 instead of 6-4? Last time AU played a DI that I remember it counted as an exhibition which was fortunate for the loser(USC a year or so after the final 4 appearance).

Nobody said they have no chance.
Just like FU can knock off some Power 6 teams, at least FU schedules Power 6 games every year.
Augusta has played zero DI games the past few years, Augusta gets no DI credit until they play some DI games, then we can have this discussion.
 #63566  by Furmanoid
 Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:43 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:20 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
tya1 wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
PaladinPower wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
apaladin wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:

Nobody said they have no chance.
Just like FU can knock off some Power 6 teams, at least FU schedules Power 6 games every year.
Augusta has played zero DI games the past few years, Augusta gets no DI credit until they play some DI games, then we can have this discussion.
Knocking off a final 4 team probably makes it hard to schedule DI opponents. The risk reward equation just doesn’t work out.

I would love it if I could watch FU against a DII on TV and the next night watch AU and come away saying that obviously Furman is a ton better. But the eye test tells a different story at this point in the season. It wasn’t supposed to be this way.
 #63574  by Furmanoid
 Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:52 pm
I think you misunderstood. Not saying that AU is good based on a 5 year old eye test. I’m saying wins like that and good playoff runs probably make it hard to schedule DI teams. Why would a team play them when they could play NG or Tusculum? That would be stupid. Zero reward either way and considerable risk playing the good team.
NWMS is sort of the NDSU of DII b’ball. They don’t seem to get any DI games either.

The eye test part is that they are bigger, more athletic and shoot better. But I’m still saying 2 out of 5 based on MB having 3 really good games. The big question mark is whether DI rules allow unlimited fouling of 7 footers like the DII rules. I’m not sure how good Crawford is because one of his arms is always being held in DII to make it fair.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.