#6304  by fufanatic
 Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:20 am
apaladin wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:43 am
youwouldno wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:57 pm
JohnW wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:42 pm
Returning to signing day, I've seen individual tweets that all three men's players have signed. Nothing from the school yet, nor are the coaches hyping it quite so much as recent years. I think it's a really good class.
Recruiting classes pretty much all look good, since only the best high school players get D-I scholarships.

Kenney and Foster didn't have other reported D-I offers, which doesn't really predict much at the mid-major level, but does tend to result in less hype. The flip side of that was all the Taylor hype last year, which turned into literally nothing.

Kenney is the only one that has much video in the public realm, so it would seem hard to really have much of an opinion on the other two.
I don't think you can offer partial schiollies in basketball can you?
Correct. All fulls. I could be wrong, but I believe baseball is about the only one you can split up.
 #6317  by youwouldno
 Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:30 pm
gman wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:57 am
The product on the court proves the coaches know what they are doing in recruiting is working.
Coach Richey hasn't proven - hasn't had the chance to prove - that he can win 20+ games with just his own players. I understand of course that he was highly involved in recruiting under Medved, but when coaching transitions happen, programs are often unable to keep up the momentum.

My personal view is that recruiting at the mid-major level is like 80% scouting and 20% competition with other programs. So I don't put too much weight on the number of offers that a prospect has.

There's also a difference between players who sign early vs. those that sign in the late period. Players that sign early might very well have picked up additional offers during their senior season.
Jasper liked this
 #6322  by Jasper
 Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:44 pm
youwouldno wrote:
gman wrote:
The product on the court proves the coaches know what they are doing in recruiting is working.
Coach Richey hasn't proven - hasn't had the chance to prove - that he can win 20+ games with just his own players. I understand of course that he was highly involved in recruiting under Medved, but when coaching transitions happen, programs are often unable to keep up the momentum.

My personal view is that recruiting at the mid-major level is like 80% scouting and 20% competition with other programs. So I don't put too much weight on the number of offers that a prospect has.

There's also a difference between players who sign early vs. those that sign in the late period. Players that sign early might very well have picked up additional offers during their senior season.
I totally agree. And to add to your comment about number of offers a recruit has, it actually scares me when a kid has a ton of them and signs with FU. The key to recruiting at this level is to find kids who can be "coached up" and grow into better college players than they were in HS. Some kids are overhyped because of things like PPG against mediocre opposition. We have had lots of great players who were not highly recruited. Kris Acox comes to mind. The least ballyhood kid in this year's class was Jaylen Slawson. This kid did not score a point last night and I think he was one of the best athletes on the floor. I think he will develop into a star with time and his own effort.
 #6330  by fufanatic
 Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:33 pm
Jasper wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:44 pm
youwouldno wrote:
gman wrote:

The least ballyhood kid in this year's class was Jaylen Slawson. This kid did not score a point last night and I think he was one of the best athletes on the floor. I think he will develop into a star with time and his own effort.
The play where he turned it over and then raced down the court to swat away the easy layup was something special. It was goal tending, but I'll take that hustle and athleticism every day of the week.
furpop16, Jasper liked this
 #6332  by CharlieFU
 Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:47 pm
Slawson has good genes. His Dad was a standout for The Citadel.
 #6352  by tya1
 Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:19 am
youwouldno wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:57 pm
Kenney and Foster didn't have other reported D-I offers, which doesn't really predict much at the mid-major level, but does tend to result in less hype. The flip side of that was all the Taylor hype last year, which turned into literally nothing.

Kenney is the only one that has much video in the public realm, so it would seem hard to really have much of an opinion on the other two.
I've seen some video for each of the signees.
Kenney looks like a mentally and physically tough competitor with an excellent three point shot. His shooting touch should eventually earn a spot in the regular rotation. If he can show the ability to defend at the point and beat his man off the dribble he could challenge for a starting spot.
Foster is a high potential recruit. Very athletic and young for his class - could have more growth coming. Looks like a good wing fit. Not sure about his long range touch but he looks good in the mid-range and slashing to the hoop.
Lawrence looks like a slender but athletic forward in the mold of Gurley and Mounce. From the video I've seen he has a very good looking jump shot with three point range and can put the ball on the floor and beat defenders on the drive. Deceptively quick and agile. Good basketball heritage - his father was a 6'7" forward for Florida in the late 1980s and his uncle was a guard some of the same years for the Gators. Both prominent as shooters on some NCAA tournament teams.
apaladin wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:43 am

No matter how you spin it signing players with no other D1 offers on the surface does not sound good. Could these be walk ons? I don't think you can offer partial schiollies in basketball can you?
Number of reported D1 offers (other than Furman) for Devin Sibley, John Davis III, Clay Mounce, Noah Gurley, and Jaylon Pugh COMBINED = 0.
I would say they turned out to be pretty good.
 #6356  by Paul C
 Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:30 am
It’s not out there but the video of the matchup this summer between Kenney and the much ballyhooed Hunter Catoor apparently showed the ballyhoo met have been misplaced.....