Defense
3 defensive linemen
2 linebackers
2 defensive backs

Offense
1 quarterback
1 tight end
1 receiver
3 offensive linemen (I'm including Chappell here, and guessing we got a commit from an OL this weekend)

Based on offers out there, including transfers.
Furman's 2023 class could add the following;

1 defensive lineman (transfer)
1 defensive back (transfer)
1 athlete (receiver)
1 tight end
2 offensive linemen

This could swing based on who decided to graduate and who decides to come back.
Astro, I assume the DL transfer is VMI? Where is the DB transfer from? May I ask his name?
 #62907  by gofurman
 Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:27 pm
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:35 pm
Furman has offered VMI transfer DT Eric Weaver. Akron, Missouri St, Samford, Southern Illinois, Norfolk St, UT Martin, Incarnate Word, Northwestern St, Murray St, Southeastern Louisiana, Austin Peay, Tenn Tech, and EKU have offered.

Oddly, this guy wasn’t voted on the All-SoCon teams or anything. And VMI doesn’t have a good defense overall. If we get him I hope he’s a good one like Cujo Coleman
 #62910  by FUwolfpacker
 Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:16 am
GF, I think Weaver was out for half the year with an injury but not sure. The DB transfer is the Dartmouth CB I think. His name is in the thread here somewhere but I can't recall it off the top of my head. That's assuming they pick us over their other offers. Haven't seen any other transfer offers out there, so not sure if there are other options if those guys pick someone else.
 #62912  by AstroDin
 Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:02 am
WolfPacker is correct — the VMI NG is coming off an injury.
Tyron Herring is the DB from Dartmouth.
Herring is a Florida native—hopefully, he wants to come south. He does have an offer from Delaware.
 #62915  by gofurman
 Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:39 am
AstroDin wrote:
Herring is a Florida native—hopefully, he wants to come south. He does have an offer from Delaware.
FUWolfpacker and AstroDin... thank you for the information. Yeah, I was wondering why I hadn't really noticed the VMI guy. That explains it

I have seen Mason from Wofford cause trouble over the years. I would like to get him - I saw he was in the portal. Maybe we don't need a DE?
 #62916  by FUBeAR
 Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:17 am
AstroDin wrote:
You sure?…was wondering about that a few weeks ago and checked participation stats and the VMI board, where they usually do a pretty good job of keeping up with Players’ statuses. Remember coming away with the impression that he might have done the 4 game shutdown to keep Redshirt thing. Was not definitive conclusion, but would be interested in more info to confirm actual injury vs. shutdown. Doesn’t really matter too much. FUBeAR just gets curious about such thangs.

UPDATE: Went back…he played in 1st 6 in 2022 and was injured vs. Chatt. Did not play after that. Also Redshirted in 2018, so, unless he can wrangle a Medical Redshirt for 2022 (doubtful, having played in 1st 6), then he only has 1 year remaining.
 #62933  by The Jackal
 Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:15 pm
gofurman wrote:
AstroDin wrote:
FUWolfpacker and AstroDin... thank you for the information. Yeah, I was wondering why I hadn't really noticed the VMI guy. That explains it

I have seen Mason from Wofford cause trouble over the years. I would like to get him - I saw he was in the portal. Maybe we don't need a DE?
I think generally prevailing philosophy would be that you take every available quality defensive lineman you can muster. It was maybe Hendrix first or second recruiting class where we took more DLs than expected simply because quality guys were available to us, and you don't turn away quality players at that premium spot on the field.

Defensive line is one of those places where the true monsters really never get past the big schools. It's also not a spot where many freshman are ready to play right away. It can be a real separator at the FCS level. Not every team can find depth and talent there.

I think you saw in 2022 the value in having a lot of depth up front.
 #62963  by FUwolfpacker
 Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:39 pm
Furman is one of many offers for a Holy Cross WR. Not scheduling visits until January so may not know about this one for a while.

Oddly enough this is one of the few guys in the portal Samford hasn’t offered ;)

#63002  by gofurman
 Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:18 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:15 pm
gofurman wrote:
AstroDin wrote:

I think generally prevailing philosophy would be that you take every available quality defensive lineman you can muster. It was maybe Hendrix first or second recruiting class where we took more DLs than expected simply because quality guys were available to us, and you don't turn away quality players at that premium spot on the field.

Defensive line is one of those places where the true monsters really never get past the big schools. It's also not a spot where many freshman are ready to play right away. It can be a real separator at the FCS level. Not every team can find depth and talent there.

I think you saw in 2022 the value in having a lot of depth up front.
Jackal, I completely agree. Loved seeing 0 and 7 wreak havoc this year (and block FGs !!!!!!). Complete Game Changers. our OL had 3 all-conference winners and our DL did not but I could make the argument our DL was better than our OL much of the time.

DL and OL .. WIN GAMES. I would love to see a proven guy like Mason (despite the Wofford heritage lol) join our DL. I don't hear anything to that effect though.

And I do hope we get a little more speed at WR. The very elite WR corps ( UIW for sure , Western WRs are a little faster than us). Just ONE more speedster makes all the difference. Join him with Harris .... Western almost came back... we struggled with UIW...
 #63022  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:42 pm
Cam Coleman was All SoCon on the defensive line.

Furman's defense was the league's best unit and had comparatively few accolades in the post season awards. I think much of that has to do with the fact we rotate so many players on that side of the ball.

I don't know what Mason will do. My only point is that most FCS coaches are going to prefer to try to get quality defensive linemen available to them. They are a somewhat rare commodity at this level. Mason was an excellent player, but I'm not even sure he would have started on Furman's defense this season.

Our pass game was infinitely better than it has been in year one of an offense. I imagine with a lot of depth and talent returning, including the QB, we'll continue to see it get better.
 #63029  by FUBeAR
 Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:13 pm
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:07 pm
Holbrook commits

HS vid reminds FUBeAR of VMI’s (now Richmond’s) Jakob Herres’ HS vid. Can see some Ryan Miller-ishness in there too. Could be a good’n
 #63031  by FUwolfpacker
 Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:05 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:13 pm
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:07 pm
Holbrook commits

HS vid reminds FUBeAR of VMI’s (now Richmond’s) Jakob Herres’ HS vid. Can see some Ryan Miller-ishness in there too. Could be a good’n
Seems like a pretty good comp. He definitely seems like a guy that would play a similar role to Miller.
 #63089  by AstroDin
 Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:36 am
This class is shaping up to have some impressive receivers.
TE Tormey 6-7 230—Tormey is a TE mainly due to his height; when you watch his vids—he's a hybrid.
WR Hinton 5-11 174 (4.45)—Senior year: 1534 all-purpose yards with 22 TDs scored 5A Virginia HS
WR Holbrook 6-4 200—put up some video game numbers for IMG.

Hard to believe the DINS aren't finished with this position—Furman is still recruiting TJ” McElmurray hard. If the DINS land McElmurray in this class—look out! Tormey and Holbrook are long, athletic players who seem to play with some edginess. Hinton—appears to be a perfect fit for Furman and the slot position in Roper's offense. Hinton has some swagger to match his speed and toughness.

Tormey:

Hinton: (lyrics NSW)

Holbrook:

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.