#6298  by GOAT
 Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:10 am
apaladin wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:06 pm
palfan89 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:58 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:29 pm
Note to Coach Richey. Just because you get a 10 point lead in the first few minutes the game is not over no matter who you are playing.
Note to coach Richey, don’t listen to uffpers. :D
Obviously he did. You can't empty the bench that early. NG went on a 10-0 run. Gave NG some hope and mo and they hung around longer than they should.
Do really think Coach Richey does not know this or are you just trying to show your knowledge of the game. Many coaches will put kids in the game during the first half when game is still in doubt to give them some quality minutes of play. I am sure the players will learn a lot from this playing time when the game counted. Anyone can play during the last 2 min when they are up 25 points. Great move by a great coach who won by 40.
FU03times, furman88 and 1 others liked this
 #6303  by FU03times
 Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:18 am
gman wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:59 am
Lyons postgame interview.
What a high quality man and program. When the man who tied a NCAA record decides to discuss the walk-on player and his career high 5 points rather than his own game...that’s a good TEAM y’all. I’m so happy for the paladins, they’re making big moves this year!
furpop16, FUKA61, Chuckles liked this
 #6305  by fufanatic
 Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:34 am
I want to keep saying this early just in case I'm right, but this team is special and I think they have a great shot to win the SoCon this year ... wouldn't it be something if this young team was the one to finally take us back to the NCAAs after thinking the veteran teams of the last few years were our best shot?

Amazing performance by Lyons. I wonder at what point did BR and his teammates encourage him to take every shot he could? I'm guessing that wasn't the plan from the get go, but once you start hitting like that against a lesser opponent, it's easier to turn him loose and let him have some fun and see what happens.

Best start since 1987-88 btw.

Other point I was thinking of last night was how amazing it is the amount of national coverage Furman has gotten in recent years without actually making the NCAAs in men's hoops or making a run in FCS football playoffs. In the last 4-5 years you have the run to the SoCon finals that got huge coverage on ESPN, the walk-off wins in baseball and basketball within minutes of each other, Mounce's dunk and now this. Pretty awesome stuff and certainly more coverage than the average mid-major has gotten. Shows how critical it is in this day and age to have your finger on the pulse of how to boost your brand with social media. Great job to all involved in jumping on these moments, and especially to the players that have provided them.
FUKA61, FU03times liked this
 #6307  by CharlieFU
 Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:57 am
Coach Richey said Matt Rafferty came to him in second half and said "Coach, we have to leave him in there!" It's cool that the other players really wanted him to keep it going.
FUKA61, fufanatic, QCGlue and 1 others liked this
 #6323  by Flagman
 Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:53 pm
FU03times wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:18 am
gman wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:59 am
Lyons postgame interview.
What a high quality man and program. When the man who tied a NCAA record decides to discuss the walk-on player and his career high 5 points rather than his own game...that’s a good TEAM y’all. I’m so happy for the paladins, they’re making big moves this year!
I’m sitting in his home town right now. I hope they know how special he is, and not just for his basketball skills.
 #6349  by apaladin
 Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:17 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:34 am
I want to keep saying this early just in case I'm right, but this team is special and I think they have a great shot to win the SoCon this year ... wouldn't it be something if this young team was the one to finally take us back to the NCAAs after thinking the veteran teams of the last few years were our best shot?
I share your enthusiasm and hope you are correct and this team will turn out to be "special". Now just a word of caution in that we have 2 non-D1 wins and two 2 point D1 wins. As far as the SoCon is concerned early indications are there are at least 3 teams in the SoCon that are better than anyone on our OOC schedule with maybe an exception or 2. UNCG, WC and ETSU look very strong early on. It's way too early to worry about winning the SoCon so right now let's just enjoy watching the Paladins play. They are a fun bunch to watch.
fufanatic liked this