FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:46 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:30 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:26 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:49 am
One could easily say the exact same about many college football games nowadays, hell I watched a ridiculous 66-63 FCS playoff game last weekend
Nah…not really…you’re cherry-pickin’ - Speaking about FCS…The 4 Teams in the Finals run the dang ball …and also play solid run defense, for the most part.

RUSHING OFFENSE - Through games December 10, 2022
RANK TEAM G RUSH RUSH YDS YDS/RUSH RUSH TD YPG

1 Montana St. 13 639 4314 6.75 47 331.8
3 North Dakota St. 13 571 3498 6.13 45 269.1
15 UIW 13 488 2754 5.64 27 211.8
44 South Dakota St. 13 488 2205 4.52 30 169.6

RUSHING DEFENSE - Through games December 10, 2022
RANK TEAM G OPP RUSH OPP RUSH YDS YDS/RUSH OPP RUSH TDS YPG

1 South Dakota St. 13 394 1110 2.82 10 85.4
32 Montana St. 13 421 1705 4.05 16 131.2
39 North Dakota St. 13 458 1813 3.96 12 139.5
55 UIW 13 548 2020 3.69 23 155.4

We can extend this to deeper in the FCS Playoffs and it will look similarly. The game has changed, for sure…but basic fundamentals…and winning the battles in the trenches are still required for success.
Nah not really, its pretty much a bunch of no defense high scoring crap games MOST of the time in college football, if you want to talk about the final 4 then you're leaving out about 99% of all other teams/games in the country.
If that's the case then lets just talk about only the Final 4 teams in basketball ;) Speaking of cherry picking
RIF - Reading Is FUNdamental (see (now) bolded text).
We can also do this for Conference Champions in FCS.

You will not succeed in pushing a narrative that FCS Football currently lacks basic fundamentals and that Teams don’t succeed by running the ball and playing strong run defense. We saw it this year in the SoCon - Samford was finally able to run the ball a little bit and played the best defense they’ve played this decade…and they went from middle of the pack to SoCon Champions.

Your current argument has zero merit. You will do much better trying to ‘defend’ / dispute how GOAT and Furmanoid have described “The State of college basketball.” Good luck with that, BTW.

I don't need to succeed at anything, I am telling you how I feel about football and you're telling me how you feel about basketball, at the end of the day it matters not
No. That is not what has occurred.

FUBeAR is demonstrating with facts & figures that ‘old school’ fundamentals and the always critical components of success still matter and are the primary determinants of success in FCS Football.

FU Hoopla is clamoring to defend negative comments by 3 posters about the current state of college basketball via creation of a false “what about…” narrative around FCS Football.

You are correct though about the last part…it matters not…is an undeniably truthful statement.
 #62944  by FU Hoopla
 Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:06 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:59 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:51 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
One could easily say the exact same about many college football games nowadays, hell I watched a ridiculous 66-63 FCS playoff game last weekend
Nah…not really…you’re cherry-pickin’ - Speaking about FCS…The 4 Teams in the Finals run the dang ball …and also play solid run defense, for the most part.

We can extend this to deeper in the FCS Playoffs and it will look similarly. The game has changed, for sure…but basic fundamentals…and winning the battles in the trenches are still required for success.
Nah not really, its pretty much a bunch of no defense high scoring crap games MOST of the time in college football, if you want to talk about the final 4 then you're leaving out about 99% of all other teams/games in the country.
If that's the case then lets just talk about only the Final 4 teams in basketball ;) Speaking of cherry picking

You will not succeed in pushing a narrative that FCS Football currently lacks basic fundamentals and that Teams don’t succeed by running the ball and playing strong run defense. We saw it this year in the SoCon - Samford was finally able to run the ball a little bit and played the best defense they’ve played this decade…and they went from middle of the pack to SoCon Champions.

Your current argument has zero merit. You will do much better trying to ‘defend’ / dispute how GOAT and Furmanoid have described “The State of college basketball.” Good luck with that, BTW.

I don't need to succeed at anything, I am telling you how I feel about football and you're telling me how you feel about basketball, at the end of the day it matters not

FUBeAR is demonstrating with facts & figures that ‘old school’ fundamentals and the always critical components of success still matter and are the primary determinants of success in FCS Football.

FU Hoopla is clamoring to defend negative comments by 3 posters about the current state of college basketball via creation of a false “what about…” narrative around FCS Football.

You are correct though about the last part…it matters not…is an undeniably truthful statement.

No that's pretty much what happened here

You state you like FCS football more, for me its not doing it anymore

I state I like college basketball more, for you its not doing it anymore (or ever maybe)

Whatever our reasons they matter not, there is no 'fact' that can dispute what someone's stated preference is

Sports have always changed, they always will, and people will continue to enjoy different things
 #62947  by FUBeAR
 Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:21 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:06 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:59 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:51 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:

No that's pretty much what happened here

You state you like FCS football more, for me its not doing it anymore

I state I like college basketball more, for you its not doing it anymore (or ever maybe)

Whatever our reasons they matter not, there is no 'fact' that can dispute what someone's stated preference is

Sports have always changed, they always will, and people will continue to enjoy different things
“or ever maybe” WTF?

Growing up in Tobacco Road, FUBeAR can assure you, there was no bigger fan of College Hoops than FUBeAR. Musta misted up 100 times watching the 10 part History of the ACC Tournament on the ACC Network last year. Thought it would be a lifetime love affair, but she changed and left FUBeAR.

Other than that, your post - this one - is true. Preferences are entirely subjective.

Facts, however, do demonstrate that FCS Football has not changed so much in the past 40+ years , in that running the ball & playing run defense via winning the game in the trenches still are the primary determinants of FCS Football success. Whether one prefers that or not is certainly up to one’s discretion.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #62955  by Furmanoid
 Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:12 pm
OK, but if everybody else is used to nothing but 3's and dunks and suddenly a team shows up with this crazy innovative thing called a pull up jump shot the jump shot team might rule. If their big guy did something nuts like turning and banking the ball off the glass, well that would hardly even be fair. The other guys would be scratching their heads.
Kinda like in football where the role that was once filled by a Butkus is now filled by somebody much faster but much less intimidating. So you go back to 1965 and run the dang ball. Sometimes you innovate by going backwards.

When Staubach started taking shotgun snaps, did anybody complain about it being old fashioned 1920's stuff?
GOAT liked this
 #62956  by FU Hoopla
 Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:13 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
OK, but if everybody else is used to nothing but 3's and dunks and suddenly a team shows up with this crazy innovative thing called a pull up jump shot the jump shot team might rule. If their big guy did something nuts like turning and banking the ball off the glass, well that would hardly even be fair. The other guys would be scratching their heads.
Kinda like in football where the role that was once filled by a Butkus is now filled by somebody much faster but much less intimidating. So you go back to 1965 and run the dang ball. Sometimes you innovate by going backwards.

When Staubach started taking shotgun snaps, did anybody complain about it being old fashioned 1920's stuff?

See Furman basketball from 1980 until 2015, what was our style of play?
 #62960  by FUBeAR
 Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:37 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
LOL - FUBeAR remembers showing/telling Papa FUBeAR how innovative the Cowboys were using that new-fangled Shotgun snap and having Papa FUBeAR laugh in his face saying that’s how he used to take snaps when he was a HS Tailback running the Single Wing Offense (yep…the Snap Receiver in the Single Wang was the Tailback, not the Quarterback…not sure how/when/why that nomenclature dhanged) in the late 1930’s.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Louis Tully liked this
 #62968  by Louis Tully
 Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:07 pm
I remember when the girls played 6 on 6 in basketball.
 #62969  by FUBeAR
 Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:16 pm
Louis Tully wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:07 pm
I remember when the girls played 6 on 6 in basketball.
Mimi FUBeAR did. She was a Forward. They were not allowed to cross the mid court line. 3 Forwards and 3 Guards (guarding the Forwards..hence, why they were called Guards…get it?) on each end. Only the ball crossed mid court.
 #62972  by FurmAlum
 Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:44 pm
I grew up on Tobacco Road too in a mill town in N.C. loving the Tar Heels and Dean Smith and all those great Carolina players. Also liked Indiana and Coach Knight and also UCLA and Coach Wooden.

I would be willing to bet that the great UCLA teams of the late 60's and early 70's, Carolina's '82 and '93 Championship team's and Indiana's '76 and '87 Championship teams would beat Duke's current crop of 5 freshmen, Kentucky's one and done's, any other team in college basketball by at least 30 points.

And speaking of turn-around jump shots banked off the board, Bill Walton and Kareem Abdul Jabbar would embarrass every big man now playing college ball. I can't remember the last time I saw that type of shot.

John Wooden would turn over in his grave if he had to watch some of these games.
GOAT liked this
 #62987  by FUBeAR
 Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:33 am
FurmAlum wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:44 pm
I grew up on Tobacco Road too in a mill town in N.C. loving the Tar Heels and Dean Smith and all those great Carolina players. Also liked Indiana and Coach Knight and also UCLA and Coach Wooden.

I would be willing to bet that the great UCLA teams of the late 60's and early 70's, Carolina's '82 and '93 Championship team's and Indiana's '76 and '87 Championship teams would beat Duke's current crop of 5 freshmen, Kentucky's one and done's, any other team in college basketball by at least 30 points.

And speaking of turn-around jump shots banked off the board, Bill Walton and Kareem Abdul Jabbar would embarrass every big man now playing college ball. I can't remember the last time I saw that type of shot.

John Wooden would turn over in his grave if he had to watch some of these games.
You must be a SERIOUS Tar Hole fan if you forced yourself to omit NC State’s David Thompson, Tommy Burleson, Derek Whittenberg, Jim Valavano, and State’s NCAA Championship Teams of 1974 & 1983 from that post. That Wolfpack ‘74 Team interrupted Wooden’s / UCLA’s dynasty after 7 straight NCAA Championships, whipped (your) Bill Walton in doing so, and would beat those Teams of today that you named by at least 31 points! :)

Might be able to tell FUBeAR was quite a State FAN. Hard not to be when Papa FUBeAR had been the Team Bus Driver for Wolfpack Football and Hoops in the 50’s…during the Everett Case era and FUBeAR was hawking drinks in Reynolds Coliseum and Carter Stadium during his teen years…around ‘73 to ‘76. Saw some pretty dang good hoops while he was making change and making bank. Those steps in Reynolds were STEEP though!

FUBeAR also worked as a ‘stringer’ for CBS Sports during March Madness in ‘84 in CLT & ATL - sat mid-court with Billy Packer (FUBeAR’s job was placing the little basketballs showing shot locations on Billy’s magnetic board) and Gary Bender for the Regional Finals in Atlanta (UNC (Jordan et al), Syracuse (Pearl Washington), Indiana (Steve Alford, Uwe Blab), and Virginia (Olden Polynice, Othell Wilson, Rick Carlisle). UVa beat IU by 2 in the Finals. Coach Knight was not happy. Another FUBeAR job was to get Coach Knight for a post-game interview (they didn’t have to in those days)…He declined, but was actually quite courteous, surprisingly, when he did…considering the situation and his reputation for volatility. Anyway….fun times.

FUBeAR wishes he loved college hoops like that now… :cry:
FurmAlum liked this
 #62988  by Affirm
 Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:58 am
Turnaround jump shot by Andrew Carr with 1.3 sec left gave Wake a 1-pt win over victim App Wed night in front of 7800 in WS. App led by 6 at half and by 1 at 1.3 sec before that turnaround hump shot went in. Our win at App maybe looks slightly better now in that perspective. I haven’t checked to see how Wake is doing otherwise so far. Obviously a big name, Wake is a program that Furman would supposedly like to play and beat.
… Oh … OK … Wake lost by 20 to Clemson 2-weeks ago, 3 days after beating #22 Wisconsin.
Apparently Wake slept through the 2nd half at Littlejohn? Wake goes to Rutgers tomorrow and hosts #12 Duke 4 days from now.
 #62993  by FUBeAR
 Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:33 am
affirm wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:58 am
Turnaround jump shot by Andrew Carr with 1.3 sec left gave Wake a 1-pt win over victim App Wed night in front of 7800 in WS. App led by 6 at half and by 1 at 1.3 sec before that turnaround hump shot went in. Our win at App maybe looks slightly better now in that perspective. I haven’t checked to see how Wake is doing otherwise so far. Obviously a big name, Wake is a program that Furman would supposedly like to play and beat.
… Oh … OK … Wake lost by 20 to Clemson 2-weeks ago, 3 days after beating #22 Wisconsin.
Apparently Wake slept through the 2nd half at Littlejohn? Wake goes to Rutgers tomorrow and hosts #12 Duke 4 days from now.
…not off the glass though

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.