• Mercer

#6210  by fufanatic
 Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:18 am
tim wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:38 am
How do typical SOCON teams prepare in weather such as Greenville has had this week? We have flooding conditions this AM. I know the big schools have indoor facilities. Do they just practice outside anyway? How has the practice weather been in Macon?
I think they used to use Timmons if the weather was really bad, but not sure if that's still the case and definitely not sure if doing that all week would properly prepare a team to play on Saturday.
 #6215  by FUBeAR
 Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:41 am
tim wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:38 am
How has the practice weather been in Macon?
 #6217  by FUPlayer74
 Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:51 am
Sometimes they practice on the turf if they can borrow the field from lacrosse.
 #6218  by FUpaladin08
 Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:54 am
I know in my day (10 years ago) Timmons was used during lightning, but they stayed on the practice fields for rain. Those practice fields were still fairly new (thanks Falcons!) and could drain a heck of a lot of water before it was an issue. I imagine more practice takes place in the stadium now with the artificial turf that eliminates mud as an issue. There must be some conflict with the basketball and football teams needing Timmons this week, so my guess is practice in the stadium and just be wet and cold.
 #6223  by The Jackal
 Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:59 pm
I don't know what the weather has been like in Macon, but I live 90 miles almost due west and the weather has been cold and wet for days. The sort of weather you don't mind playing in, but I imagine you'd prefer not to practice in (especially if you do not anticipate such weather on game day).

I think temps have been in the upper 40/lower 50s and it has rained since Sunday night.
 #6235  by gofurman
 Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:38 pm
"Conservative calls. I tend to think you will see Hendrix more conservative than you might normally expect. Given Mercer's struggles on offense, I don't see us going for it on 4th down in negative territory or even midfield. Too much risk against a good Mercer defense of turning it over on a short field."

agree !!! - Watching Mercer play UTC the Mercer O was hurting but they held UTC on several tries for a yard. I wouldn't go for it in our own territory on 4th and one right up the middle. Love that Hendrix does that usually but this may not be the week for that. Mercer seems (if backup QB) not to be explosive on O but they still have a D that can stop some short runs. no need to give them mo' with a failed fourth and one on short field
 #6238  by The Jackal
 Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:01 pm
gofurman wrote:
"Conservative calls. I tend to think you will see Hendrix more conservative than you might normally expect. Given Mercer's struggles on offense, I don't see us going for it on 4th down in negative territory or even midfield. Too much risk against a good Mercer defense of turning it over on a short field."

agree !!! - Watching Mercer play UTC the Mercer O was hurting but they held UTC on several tries for a yard. I wouldn't go for it in our own territory on 4th and one right up the middle. Love that Hendrix does that usually but this may not be the week for that. Mercer seems (if backup QB) not to be explosive on O but they still have a D that can stop some short runs. no need to give them mo' with a failed fourth and one on short field
Mercer's defense is good. Of course, Furman's offense is a lot better than Chattanooga's.
 #6247  by FUBeAR
 Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:01 pm
Yum!
Bootie liked this
 #6248  by FUBeAR
 Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:06 pm

Hmmm...I’m thinking Mercer may be planning an air attack.

Anyone see any planes with #1, #10, #13, and/or #28 as the tail ID’s in this video?
Last edited by FUBeAR on Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #6269  by apaladin
 Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:01 pm
Can't be too conservative on play calling. Mercer's defense is too good to play conservative.
 #6286  by The Jackal
 Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:56 am
apaladin wrote:
Can't be too conservative on play calling. Mercer's defense is too good to play conservative.
Not suggesting the play calling will be conservative, but in game decisions might be.

We went for a 4th down conversion against WCU inside our own 20 earlier this year. I don’t think you’ll see us be that aggressive Saturday.

Because we have to keep Mercer’s scoring down, I just think we will take opportunities to put their offense as far from the goal line as possible.
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #6292  by FUBeAR
 Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:11 am
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:56 am
apaladin wrote:
Not suggesting the play calling will be conservative, but in game decisions might be.

We went for a 4th down conversion against WCU inside our own 20 earlier this year. I don’t think you’ll see us be that aggressive Saturday.

Because we have to keep Mercer’s scoring down, I just think we will take opportunities to put their offense as far from the goal line as possible.
Average scoring drive for Mercer last week was 10 yards.

That 4th down try from the -20 may be safer than it seems.
 #6299  by Flagman
 Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:30 am
All of this conversation could make one a bit overconfident, fans and players. I won't relax until the clock reads 00:00 and Furman has more points than Mercer. And hopefully, Mercer has less than 15. Furman football and Thanksgiving weekend, love it!
 #6300  by The Jackal
 Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:52 am
Flagman wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:30 am
All of this conversation could make one a bit overconfident, fans and players. I won't relax until the clock reads 00:00 and Furman has more points than Mercer. And hopefully, Mercer has less than 15. Furman football and Thanksgiving weekend, love it!
Fans maybe. Watching Furman eviscerate VMI last weekend though led me to believe that the boys aren't taking anything for granted.
 #6538  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:41 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:01 pm
gofurman wrote:

Mercer's defense is good. Of course, Furman's offense is a lot better than Chattanooga's.
In hindsight appears our O was better than Chatt but Chatt D was clearly superior to ours. Thanks our special teams that we didn't allow KOR or PReturns.

Recent Topics

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:59 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.