• Who is leaving??

#62509  by AstroDin
 Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:15 am
First, I've been a KT fan have been since he was recruited.
Very sad to see him go.

He did post his transfer tweet early yesterday and took it down almost immediately. He didn't repost that tweet until many hours later. Remember, that doesn't mean he'll leave. My guess with KT, he believes he can find a program where he could be a feature back. With Furman's stable of running backs—that's not going to happen. If he stays, Justin Roper will continue to tinker at ways to get KT more touches—just not sure that's enough ball for him.

Note… I'm curious about Devin Abrams. Does Devin return?
Here's what we know:
Dom Roberto RSSR
Grant Robinson RSSO
Myion Hicks RSSO
Jayquan Smith RSFR

Furman doesn't appear to be recruiting a running back for the 23 class. The skill positions we appear focused on are TE, WR, and SLOT.

Let's hope Furman can keep that stable, happy, and at Furman.
 #62511  by FUwolfpacker
 Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:39 am
apaladin wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:56 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:10 am
apaladin wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:39 pm
Ryan Miller has declared for the NFL draft. So I guess that means he did have a year left?
Nah- he played 5 seasons; 4 that counted. He done.
Then why did he declare? Only time you see someone declare is when they still have college eligibility. If he was done he would automatically be eligible.
Correct but not everyone intends to go into the draft. Probably just his opportunity to thank the people he wants to thank. I’ve seen other guys with no eligibility left do that this year. I don’t think it’s that uncommon of a thing anymore. Definitely used to be just the underclassmen.
FUBeAR liked this
 #62512  by The Jackal
 Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:20 am
AstroDin wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:15 am
First, I've been a KT fan have been since he was recruited.
Very sad to see him go.

He did post his transfer tweet early yesterday and took it down almost immediately. He didn't repost that tweet until many hours later. Remember, that doesn't mean he'll leave. My guess with KT, he believes he can find a program where he could be a feature back. With Furman's stable of running backs—that's not going to happen. If he stays, Justin Roper will continue to tinker at ways to get KT more touches—just not sure that's enough ball for him.

Note… I'm curious about Devin Abrams. Does Devin return?
Here's what we know:
Dom Roberto RSSR
Grant Robinson RSSO
Myion Hicks RSSO
Jayquan Smith RSFR

Furman doesn't appear to be recruiting a running back for the 23 class. The skill positions we appear focused on are TE, WR, and SLOT.

Let's hope Furman can keep that stable, happy, and at Furman.
Looks like Thomas had 43 carries and 2 catches on the year.

Furman would frequently use him as the feature back for about one series a half. He did impress me even when he wasn't carrying the ball with his ability to also serve as a blocker.

I'd rather he be on the roster than not on the roster, but I wish him the best if he decides to move on.
FUBeAR, Davemeister liked this
 #62520  by FurmAlum
 Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:11 am
I understand Jace. He would have to wait another year to play with Huff coming back. Also KT if playing time is the issue.

But Morris would be a possible starter next year and even if he wasn't he would surely get a lot of PT. I hope he changes his mind.

Wish everyone well whatever their decisions.
 #62531  by Sad Din
 Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:14 pm
if the are seniors and looking for a grad degree cant blame them Probably smart thing to do

For the underclass, just becuase they enter portal doesnt mean they have to go. Need to keep recruiting them if they are needed
 #62551  by The Jackal
 Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:25 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:11 am
I understand Jace. He would have to wait another year to play with Huff coming back. Also KT if playing time is the issue.

But Morris would be a possible starter next year and even if he wasn't he would surely get a lot of PT. I hope he changes his mind.

Wish everyone well whatever their decisions.

I think it is not super helpful to try and determine the "why." Every student has their reasons, whatever they may be.

All three of these guys played a fair amount. Wilson was QB2, but had already played in four games by the midway point in the season and had started at least one and played significantly in a few of them. Yeah, he was the backup, but it wasn't like he was just holding a clipboard.
 #62707  by FUwolfpacker
 Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:18 pm
Bootie wrote:“Committed”.
People keep using that word. I do not think it means what they think it means. :D

:D

Good for Morris. Would prefer them to stay here and get better, but at least we won't be facing him regularly.
Bootie liked this
 #62708  by apaladin
 Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:02 pm
Bootie wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:12 pm
“Committed”.
People keep using that word. I do not think it means what they think it means. :D
Correct bootie. It means for the time being!
Bootie liked this
 #62713  by apaladin
 Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:46 am
AllTimeFU wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:16 pm
Hope he enjoys losing. They were 3-9 and their wns came against 3 gosh awful teams(7-29). They lost to FCS Sacramento St. 41-10.
 #62715  by AstroDin
 Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:10 am
One of the few times I agree with you Apaladin ;-)

A player today… can make any choice they want on where they play.

CSU is an FBS school which sounds like a big deal.
The reality is CSU is a bottom-dweller FBS team.
You have to put a lot of lipstick on this pig.

Makes me respect what Blackshear did last season.
Travis entered the portal—got an offer from Buffalo (a far better FBS program), and decided to come back for another year at Furman.
Affirm, apaladin liked this
 #62716  by AstroDin
 Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:20 am
I'm going to try to tread lightly here…

Dom Morris came out of the gate strong, had some interceptions, and replaced Blackshear while he was out due to an injury. Based on his play and a few comments related to making the interception vs knocking the ball down. I felt Dom wanted to make the big play, maybe over the best play in the situation.

Durning Furman's win streak, we played Chizik much more and Caleb Williams. Note; Williams quietly shifted to SS.

Furman currently has 2 DBs committed and has an offer out to the Dartmouth transfer. Blackshear's spot is going to be an open competition.
Affirm liked this
 #62717  by The Jackal
 Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:23 am
AstroDin wrote:

Dom Morris came out of the gate strong, had some interceptions, and replaced Blackshear while he was out due to an injury. Based on his play and a few comments related to making the interception vs knocking the ball down. I felt Dom wanted to make the big play, maybe over the best play in the situation.

Durning Furman's win streak, we played Chizik much more and Caleb Williams. Note; Williams quietly shifted to SS.

Furman currently has 2 DBs committed and has an offer out to the Dartmouth transfer. Blackshear's spot is going to be an open competition.

I am pretty sure Blackshear still has eligibility. He redshirted in '18, played full seasons in '19, '21, and '22. So, seems like he still has another year he can play.

I'm talking out of school here, but I thought it at least a little peculiar that Morris announced he was entering the portal and then committed to a fairly random low-level FBS school out west quickly. I noticed that the defensive back coaches for CSU have ties to Texas schools during what would have been Morris' recruitment, so maybe they already knew him.

I suppose it's a positive for Furman's team when our 3rd or 4th CB is transferring to an FBS school.
Affirm liked this
 #62719  by FUBeAR
 Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:29 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:23 am
AstroDin wrote:

I am pretty sure Blackshear still has eligibility. He redshirted in '18, played full seasons in '19, '21, and '22. So, seems like he still has another year he can play.

I'm talking out of school here, but I thought it at least a little peculiar that Morris announced he was entering the portal and then committed to a fairly random low-level FBS school out west quickly. I noticed that the defensive back coaches for CSU have ties to Texas schools during what would have been Morris' recruitment, so maybe they already knew him.

I suppose it's a positive for Furman's team when our 3rd or 4th CB is transferring to an FBS school.
This is scary … FUBeAR completely concurs with Jackal’s post here and also noted/thought similarly about that TX connection with CSU’s CB Coach.

To add a little more color to the move…

1) Morris originally committed to Army. He then signed with Air Force and did a semester at AF Prep, before coming to FU. So, he does have CO living experience under his belt.

2) SacState & FU both lost to UIW by 3. If we allow for the home/away ‘swing’ based on the venues of those games, that means FU is about 6 points better than the #2 Seeded Big Sky Champion, SacState. So, since SacState beat CSU by 31, Morris is transferring to a program that is 37…almost 40…points worse than Furman. Kinda like making a move to a Team that is just about North Greenville level, it seems.
Affirm liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:46 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.