• Top FCS Teams

#62669  by Paul C
 Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:13 pm
We finished the year at 11, beat 12 in the playoffs, retuning QB along with 17 or so of 22 starters. Hard to imagine us under 13-15 But I’ve been surprised before.
 #62670  by The Jackal
 Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:02 pm
Paul C wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:13 pm
We finished the year at 11, beat 12 in the playoffs, retuning QB along with 17 or so of 22 starters. Hard to imagine us under 13-15 But I’ve been surprised before.
I think the returning QB - one who turned some heads this season - will give us a bump.
 #62679  by AstroDin
 Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:29 am
Agree with the above - a returning QB like Huff should get Furman into the conversation if they deserve a pre-season top-ten ranking.

I want to return to Gman's comment about the core top three (NDSU, SDSU, Montana St).
All three of those programs emphasize linemen. I'll add they build linemen. The stud NDSU tackle Cody Mauch was a walk-on TE enrolled at 6-4 220. He's now 6-6 303 and will be a draft pick.

It's hard to believe I'm saying this, Furman had more depth at DL than OL. Furman was legit 10 men deep along the defensive line. Due to injuries and attrition Furman played a max of seven offensive linemen.

Getting Vollmer and Petit back will be a big help. A big offensive line recruiting class is probably a priority. Let's hope Furman retains most of the 2022 offensive line for 2023.
bj93, gman84 liked this
 #62681  by Furmanoid
 Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:19 am
For OL I'd really consider shopping the portal a little. There are Sr.s in there who are mature and completely swole up from years of weights. Seems like a smart, grown OL guy from some MAC or CUSA team could probably pick up the offense and be ready to steam roll the likes of WCU and Citadel by September.
bj93 liked this
 #62683  by MNORM
 Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:08 am
AstroDin wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:29 am
Agree with the above - a returning QB like Huff should get Furman into the conversation if they deserve a pre-season top-ten ranking.

I want to return to Gman's comment about the core top three (NDSU, SDSU, Montana St).
All three of those programs emphasize linemen. I'll add they build linemen. The stud NDSU tackle Cody Mauch was a walk-on TE enrolled at 6-4 220. He's now 6-6 303 and will be a draft pick.

It's hard to believe I'm saying this, Furman had more depth at DL than OL. Furman was legit 10 men deep along the defensive line. Due to injuries and attrition Furman played a max of seven offensive linemen.

Getting Vollmer and Petit back will be a big help. A big offensive line recruiting class is probably a priority. Let's hope Furman retains most of the 2022 offensive line for 2023.
Hopefully he can get some front teeth with that new NFL salary. The guy is a trip...looks like a hockey player.
AstroDin liked this
 #63265  by FurmAlum
 Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:25 pm
NDSU - only made it to the Finals because of by and all home games

Montana State - exposed for the fraud that they are

Jackson State - way overrated. Lost to an unranked team

SDSU - good team but again, all home games

UIW - good team but live by the sword, die by the sword

Holy Cross - weak conference, overrated

W & M - same as above

Furman would have beaten UIW and NDSU at home and in a neutral venue

Samford would have beaten NDSU at home and maybe anyway if QB wasn't injured

Mercer and Chatty would have beaten HC and W&M at home and maybe on the road

This MV/Big Sky bias is just pissing me off. We need to get a seed next year.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #63272  by FUBeAR
 Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:11 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:25 pm
NDSU - only made it to the Finals because of by and all home games

Montana State - exposed for the fraud that they are

Jackson State - way overrated. Lost to an unranked team

SDSU - good team but again, all home games

UIW - good team but live by the sword, die by the sword

Holy Cross - weak conference, overrated

W & M - same as above

Furman would have beaten UIW and NDSU at home and in a neutral venue

Samford would have beaten NDSU at home and maybe anyway if QB wasn't injured

Mercer and Chatty would have beaten HC and W&M at home and maybe on the road

This MV/Big Sky bias is just pissing me off. We need to get a seed next year.
FurmAlum singing from the FUBeAR Hymnal

TRUTH!!!!
FU Hoopla liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.