• Ask The AD

#62441  by Davemeister
 Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:24 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:21 pm
affirm wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:16 pm
I expect there are serious students in every academic major who have no interest, or very little, in Furman athletics event.
Precisely why Athletics Events should qualify for CLP credit

And the Musicians in Performing Ensembles should be exempted from CLP since they are already putting in the hours.
QCGlue liked this
 #62444  by FUBeAR
 Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:54 am
Davemeister wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:24 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:21 pm
affirm wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:16 pm
I expect there are serious students in every academic major who have no interest, or very little, in Furman athletics event.
Precisely why Athletics Events should qualify for CLP credit
And the Musicians in Performing Ensembles should be exempted from CLP since they are already putting in the hours.
Only if the Athletes get reciprocal exemptions for the hours they put in…fair’s fair.
 #62548  by DoomedDin1127
 Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:18 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:43 am
Thanks DoomedDin.. I have a question. Can you shed some light on why the band is so much smaller than it used to be? Correct me if I am wrong but we used to have app. 100 playing members and at a recent game I counted only 60 playing members which is a 40 percent drop in playing memvpbers. TIA
From my perspective, there are three big reasons.

You're right, Furman band used to be a lot bigger. Over time, the school cut down the number of scholarships given to music students. This made it more appetizing for people interested in music to attend other schools because Furman is already so expensive (as we all know).

Covid hit the music program hard, and what we see right now is the aftermath of that. Smaller classes meant fewer music students. Covid was enough for students to not even want to try playing in the band. We followed safety protocols, but it was very difficult. Trying to navigate covid in the music program was a HUGE pain in the ass to put it lightly. Anyone that understands how band works know exactly what I'm talking about.

Right as the pandemic was happening, the music department was facing a lot of turnover in staff. This new administration has done a great job recruiting so far, but it takes time. We had a legend of a director of bands and it took him years to build up the Furman band in the way ya'll know it. Dr. Samuels is the new director, and she is fantastic. She has put in a lot of recruitment but it takes time.

so yeah... less scholarships + new director + covid = less in the band

There are photos lined up in the music building and I hope we can get back to the size of those old photos. It's how I remember the band growing up here in Greenville, it's part of why I chose Furman and I hope to see it again as an alum.
hypercycloid, apaladin, Davemeister and 2 others liked this
 #62552  by DoomedDin1127
 Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:28 pm
Paul C wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:32 pm
JohnKX512 wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:17 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:23 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:43 am
Thanks DoomedDin.. I have a question. Can you shed some light on why the band is so much smaller than it used to be? Correct me if I am wrong but we used to have app. 100 playing members and at a recent game I counted only 60 playing members which is a 40 percent drop in playing memvpbers. TIA
strategic move so they can travel 1st class to Ireland next year

Doomed din and sad din. Boo hoo.

Stop complaining.

Cry babies are over on the baseball thread.
I think you are reading too much into DoomedDin name....its got nothing to do with what you think it does
Paul C got my back lol!! yes, the name comes from an old username I used to have as a wee child. (cracks knuckles) as a kid, I saw a dock burn down on lake Hartwell. Someone was trying to burn down a boat for insurance money and failed. My friends and I called that the "doomed port". dumb enough I made my usernames of that tag as an inside joke. For this forum, I simply followed the same joke.

I've actually been called over-optimistic on this forum so I don't know what to think :lol:
 #62685  by Davemeister
 Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:14 am
JD gave the Thumb Down on scheduling two FBS opponents in a single season. I'm surprised there has been no comment about that in this thread.
 #62686  by gman84
 Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:34 am
Davemeister wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:14 am
JD gave the Thumb Down on scheduling two FBS opponents in a single season. I'm surprised there has been no comment about that in this thread.
Because CCH is not in favor of 2 FBS games.
Roundball liked this
 #62691  by apaladin
 Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:50 am
Did I hear JD say the schedules were complete thru 2025? !

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.