• High Point @ Furman (Dec. 6th 7pm)

#62354  by FurmAlum
 Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:58 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:32 am
FurmAlum wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:03 am
My take on this is:

1. We were letting them drive all the way to the rim uncontested. That is a cardinal sin. Gotta get the D figured out.
2. The reason the rebounding was subpar was because there weren't any. Heck they hit everything they shot.
3. Most of our offense was pretty efficient when we worked the ball but our shot selection at times was not good. That is what is causing our low 3 pt %. Too many forced shots with guys in our face and some out 1 step too far.
4. We made a poor attempt at getting Slawson the ball in position to score in the first half. He should be a go to guy but we we not going to him enough in my opinion and were jacking up too many out of position 3 point shots.
Hmm, you’re sounding a little boomerish. Need to get your mind right like me. Jacking up out of position 3’s is today’s game, man! What would you have us do? Take wide open uncontested 15 footers? Nobody does that!
I'm more than a little boomerish. I played some BB (high school only) 10 years before the 3 point shot was introduced in college/hs basketball. That was prob good cause my range was about 17 ft. and it was like shooting over trees. But my role was to pass it to the guys that could shoot it, where they could shoot it, when they could shoot it. Not that I don't like the 3 pointer, I think it has been a great addition to the game, but like any good thing, too much of it, done at the wrong time, turns it into a bad thing.
 #62356  by Furmanoid
 Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:11 pm
furpop16 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:07 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:14 am

CBR is masterful in this conference.

All of the questions being posed in this thread are answered in this video.
- Why are teams shooting their best percentages against us time and time again?
- Why don't we press more?
- Don't we just need to shoot better?
- With last year's Defensive POY, and with our depth this year, why can't we find the right defensive combination?

I've listened to it multiple times. Over the next few games we'll see CBR earn his paycheck figuring out the current riddle and transposing his words onto the court. If he's successful, hands-down he'll deserve Coach of the Year.
If we beat NC State, OK, but I’m not sure how beating Winthrop, SFA and Anderson is gonna tell us much about improvement. It doesn’t matter too much though because we play in the SoCon. Improvement would be nice but it isn’t necessary.
 #62357  by FurmAlum
 Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:23 pm
Roundball wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:27 pm
furpop16 wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:

- With last year's Defensive POY, and with our depth this year, why can't we find the right defensive combination?

I've listened to it multiple times. Over the next few games we'll see CBR earn his paycheck figuring out the current riddle and transposing his words onto the court. If he's successful, hands-down he'll deserve Coach of the Year.
Coach Richey is always honest and informative in his postgame press conferences, but this one is the best ever. It is also a reminder that listening to him in this setting is much better than listening to him answer a few quick questions on the radio broadcast.
I took your advice RB and listened to the Presser and you were spot on. Coach R is always candid and informative. He is more concerned about the D than the O and rightly so. He is questioning the team's toughness and defensive intensity while allowing for some scheme changes that might be necessary. Defense is more about "want to and effort" than talent.

I agree that pressing the whole game is "unsustainable". One enlightening comment was that the possession where we put on the press at the very end of the game was supposed to just slow up the HP guards and not be a trap, but it became a blown assignment (translate somebody forgot not to trap) and it resulted in a breakaway basket.

The rotation and depth of talent is a work in progress and I am optimistic that Coach R will eventually work it out. The tough early season schedule has exposed some weaknesses but that can be a good thing. Better to find out now what needs improving before getting into Jan/Feb and finding out then.

We have won 6 out of 9 games and could have won the 3 we lost. I'm still confidant that we will be good by March.
 #62358  by furpop16
 Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:28 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:11 pm
furpop16 wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:

If we beat NC State, OK, but I’m not sure how beating Winthrop, SFA and Anderson is gonna tell us much about improvement. It doesn’t matter too much though because we play in the SoCon. Improvement would be nice but it isn’t necessary.

I get your point. It's one thing to stop Winthrop, SFA, & Anderson and quite another to stop top-drawer teams.

On the other hand CBR says our weakness "isn't rocket science", it's rather block & tackle: "you’ve got to have a hand up, and you’ve got to contest shooters, and you’ve got to guard the ball. Typically, go watch games tonight, tomorrow the team that brings the most energy, and the hardest working team, is usually going to win the game."

Apparently we're near the best in the country in "offensive efficiency". Indeed, CBR says "The wildest part about this is we don’t know how good we can be, because we haven’t seen us do it. The strength of this team is still going to be Transition Offense. The ability to run. We didn’t shoot great in the 1st half. We took the ball out of the net 60% of the time tonight and we kicked in 82 points."

"It’s not that we can’t do it. It’s that we choosing not to do it consistently". CBR's bottom line: "Just imagine if we defended and came in with the right approach."
 #62410  by stonemd
 Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:37 pm
No they are not.
They are 5-5
Got creamed by Penn St
Beat 2 div2 and 2 ranked in the 300s
Dead last in the country giving up blocks on 17% of their possessions
Near the bottom in turnovers
They shoot the ball well (when they don’t turn it over) but don’t rebound
They don’t play defense well

You need to support your argument a bit when you throw out statements like that. I don’t see any evidence they are better than HP.
 #62470  by jesse174
 Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:43 pm
They were 11 for 17 3 point shots...anyone that shoots that good is going to beat you. any kind of defense vs the 3 point shot would have prevented that.....but give it to High Point....they beat us ...
 #62472  by FUBF24
 Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:35 pm
Welp… Queens University, in their first year as a D1 school, beat High Point by 8 points on the road. I’m not necessarily a believer in the transitive property, but every one of our losses seems to just make us worse. Yuck
 #62476  by FU Hoopla
 Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:31 pm
FUBF24 wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:35 pm
Welp… Queens University, in their first year as a D1 school, beat High Point by 8 points on the road. I’m not necessarily a believer in the transitive property, but every one of our losses seems to just make us worse. Yuck
Yep strange stuff, high point should have been a win

Still think we easily best team in SoCon, just gotta stop being lazy on the defensive end
 #62478  by apaladin
 Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:35 pm
stonemd wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:37 pm
No they are not.
They are 5-5
Got creamed by Penn St
Beat 2 div2 and 2 ranked in the 300s
Dead last in the country giving up blocks on 17% of their possessions
Near the bottom in turnovers
They shoot the ball well (when they don’t turn it over) but don’t rebound
They don’t play defense well

You need to support your argument a bit when you throw out statements like that. I don’t see any evidence they are better than HP.
Well, HP just lost at home to Queens U. Winthrop beat SC State worst than we did. Enough said. May not be as good as HP but certainly not much difference and I did say prolly.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.