#6118  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:37 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:36 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:32 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:12 pm
Mercer listed their depth chart. RB Tee Mitchell not listed. True freshman walkon Harrison Frost listed as starting QB.

https://mercerbears.com/documents/2018/ ... df?id=9285

Again, I never read too much into depth charts, but one would think that if Mercer's starting QB and RB were going to play, they'd at least be listed. Mercer won the game last weekend, but their offense struggled mightily against UTC without those guys.
Mitchell wasn’t listed on the 2 deep last week & he started the game @ UTC.

2 carries in the 1st series for 6 yards.
1 carry in the 2nd series for 3 yards.

No further action.
Sounds like he gave it a go.

That interview was pretty good, aslso. I think it was Buehler who commented that Mercer seemed to watch Furman film a bunch as they prepared for other teams and were wowed at Jaylan Reid and Adrian Hope.
Yes. Mercer played WCU, Wofford, ETSU, and Chatt after (not, necessarily, immediately after) Furman had played them. Unless something has changed in the SoCon since 2015, SoCon Teams share ALL of their game videos with their upcoming opponents. So, in the past 4 weeks, Mercer’s opponents’ Offenses’ games against Furman’s Defense would have been part of the ‘package’ of game videos he would have watched to prepare for those Teams.

And...Yes. He was very complimentary of Players from another Team without throwing any low-key ‘shade’ or having an undertone of back-handedness. It is possible to do that.
 #6129  by fufanatic
 Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:25 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mercer listed their depth chart. RB Tee Mitchell not listed. True freshman walkon Harrison Frost listed as starting QB.

Again, I never read too much into depth charts, but one would think that if Mercer's starting QB and RB were going to play, they'd at least be listed. Mercer won the game last weekend, but their offense struggled mightily against UTC without those guys.
Would feel much better about the 15-point threshold if a walk-on freshman QB that led the team to 13 points thanks to KO returns of 73 and 91 yards by someone else last week is under center for this game.
 #6130  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:39 pm
fufanatic wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Would feel much better about the 15-point threshold if a walk-on freshman QB that led the team to 13 points thanks to KO returns of 73 and 91 yards by someone else last week is under center for this game.
*walk-on redshirt freshman QB who didn’t even start for his high school team
fufanatic liked this
 #6137  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:18 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

That is sort of where Furman was back in 2013. Furman lost Reese Hannon, Dillon Woodruff, and Terry Robinson to injury. By midseason, Duncan Fletcher, a true freshman walkon, was the only QB in uniform. Fletcher, of course, did start as a QB in high school, but for a much much smaller school than Frost played for.
 #6153  by The Jackal
 Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:44 am
Also, it looks like Jaylan Reid is slated to make his 40th start for Furman on Saturday.

Impressive career for that young man. Noseguards are not going to get much praise, but he's been a durable and outstanding player for this program for a long time.
FUBeAR, MNORM, fufanatic and 3 others liked this
 #6157  by FUBeAR
 Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:34 am
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

That is sort of where Furman was back in 2013. Furman lost Reese Hannon, Dillon Woodruff, and Terry Robinson to injury. By midseason, Duncan Fletcher, a true freshman walkon, was the only QB in uniform. Fletcher, of course, did start as a QB in high school, but for a much much smaller school than Frost played for.
*was on ...not really “PLAYED for”

Also...Fletcher was a multiple-year (at least 2 years, I believe) 6-4 / 200+ All-State Starting QB, who led his Team to the Georgia HS Playoffs in both his Jr. & Sr. years in HS. Probably just a few more snaps worth of experience & a bit better prepared for ‘live-fire’ than a 6-1 / 185 kid who never started a varsity HS Football game.

So...yeah...similar, but also very different.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #6158  by FUBeAR
 Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:51 am
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:44 am
Also, it looks like Jaylan Reid is slated to make his 40th start for Furman on Saturday.

Impressive career for that young man. Noseguards are not going to get much praise, but he's been a durable and outstanding player for this program for a long time.
Reid and Mercer Team Captains / Defensive stand-outs, LB LeMarkus Bailey & SS Eric Jackson were all Teammates on the 2013 Hillgrove HS Team in Cobb County (Metro ATL). 1st Round (Pick #5) 2018 NFL draft pick, NC State DE Bradley Chubb, was also on that Hillgrove Team.

How would you like to face that D in HS?
 #6167  by The Jackal
 Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:13 am
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Also...Fletcher was a multiple-year (at least 2 years, I believe) 6-4 / 200+ All-State Starting QB, who led his Team to the Georgia HS Playoffs in both his Jr. & Sr. years in HS. Probably just a few more snaps worth of experience & a bit better prepared for ‘live-fire’ than a 6-1 / 185 kid who never started a varsity HS Football game.

Unrelated point, but how did Mercer end up with a freshman walkon at QB3?

Looking at the Bears roster, Kaelan Riley, a redshirt sophomore, is the most veteran QB on the entire roster. Did they not take any scholarship QBs between Russ and Riley?
 #6173  by FUBeAR
 Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:57 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:13 am
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Unrelated point, but how did Mercer end up with a freshman walkon at QB3?

Looking at the Bears roster, Kaelan Riley, a redshirt sophomore, is the most veteran QB on the entire roster. Did they not take any scholarship QBs between Russ and Riley?
* Michael Haynes from North Gwinnett was a year behind Russ - Recruiting class of 2013. Redshirted at some point to give himself that 2 year spread, but opted not to return in 2017.
* Josh Moore came in the same year, but I believe transferred to Berry
* Tanner Brumby came in 2014 & redshirted, but opted not to return for 2018
* No QB’s in 2015 Class with Russ having 2 year to play, Haynes 3, and Brumby 4
* Also, Johnny McCrary, Former Vandy Starting QB, was in camp with Mercer during pre-season of 2016. Departed before the season for reasons not to be disclosed in this forum.
* Riley came in 2016
* I believe the current Samford backup QB was also headed to Mercer in 2016, but veered off when Riley committed
* Riddle came in 2017
* 2018 Scholarship QB signee is Bryce Lawrence. I guess Frost, with a year in the system as a Redshirt is more ready to play than Lawrence.

So... If Russ came in 2012...Riley in 2016...Mercer took 3 Scholarship QB’s in the intervening 3 years. 2 graduated without completing eligibility & 1 Transferred out. With Riley & Riddle in the stable...or on the way to the ‘farm,’ I don’t think those 3 were expecting much PT down the road.

All good?

...you asked.
 #6177  by gofurman
 Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:50 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

No further action.

* Also, REDSHIRT freshman walk-on QB who didn’t even start for his high school team
of course, wasn't he behind a QB who is currently on scholarship at UGA? I mean, that's a little different
 #6178  by AstroDin
 Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:14 pm
enough about Mercer… sorry, Bear.

Read this in the game notes - The VMI game marked 15 first-time starters for the season. Caleb Auer started for injured Andy Godwin. Auer graded out 88percent on 57 plays. Were building some great OL depth guys.
QCGlue, MNORM liked this
 #6180  by FUBeAR
 Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:29 pm
gofurman wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:50 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

No further action.

* Also, REDSHIRT freshman walk-on QB who didn’t even start for his high school team
of course, wasn't he behind a QB who is currently on scholarship at UGA? I mean, that's a little different
Whomever he was behind, he was not facing ‘live fire’ in pressure situations. Just as we have discussed some of the growth opportunities we have seen with Mr. Grainger as he only had 1 year of playing QB in HS, that’s still 10 more games of experience + Playoffs (if any)...maybe, 500-600 game reps than Mr. Frost had.

Also, not being a Starting QB in HS does not preclude a young man from being recruited & offered a college scholarship these days. This is due to the plethora of 7-on-7 leagues and QB camps/gurus. Heck, the UGA QB was “discovered” during a Cam Newton 7-on-7 Tourney and went from “hoping to get offered by Mercer” (his words) to the top QB recruit in the country almost overnight. A couple of years back a QB for Alpharetta HS was a backup & committed to (and went to) Delaware after attending their QB camp. Alpharetta’s Starting QB that year ended up being a good RB for W&M. Anyway, Frost’s Uncle is one of the top HS Coaches in Georgia & his cousin was a top QB recruit in the country the same year Frost came out - 2016 - & signed with FSU. Frost WALKED-ON at Mercer. I’m sure he had plenty of opportunities for enough exposure to get offered by someone. He didn’t play (much) in HS & as far as I know had no college offers to play.

That said, I bet he’s a great kid & is going to be an outstanding Football Coach (his goal) when he’s done at Mercer.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #6181  by FUBeAR
 Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:31 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:14 pm
enough about Mercer
You’re right. That’s probably off topic in a thread titled, um...”Mercer.”
QCGlue, AstroDin, Davemeister and 1 others liked this
 #6203  by The Jackal
 Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:19 am
Some thoughts on Saturday's game.

1. Above all, Furman has to win. I know there is a unique playoff tiebreaker where points matter, but Furman first has to play to win the game. Tiebreakers or not, Furman does not play football again this year under any scenario without winning Saturday. Check that box first.

2. Hold onto the ball. While limiting turnovers is important, it is perhaps most important in this game. If Mercer is struggling offensively (they are) and having to play some guys in much larger roles than anticipated, the last thing Furman can afford to do is turn the ball over and give the Bears' offense the opportunity to score on a short field because of a turnover deep in our zone (which we've done a few times this year).

Given the stakes, I'd be perfectly comfortable with a fair catch on every punt and kickoff. We don't need a big return, we need to protect the ball.

3. Watch the haymaker. If Mercer is going to be as hobbled on offense as they were last week, I don't see them driving 70-80 yards on Furman's defense multiple times. What I expect them to do is try to confuse Furman's pass coverage and look for big chunk plays, even perhaps with some razzle dazzle. Furman has been prone to losing guys in coverage - particularly running backs and TEs - and giving up big yards and scores. I wouldn't be surprised to see flea flickers, WR passes, reverses, etc. - anything to force Furman's defensive backs to lose eye discipline. Be ready for anything.

4. Limit big special teams plays. Mercer won a game last week in which they had 149 yards offense, managed 2.8 yards per play, and was 2 of 14 on third downs largely because they had some big special teams plays that gave the Bears offense a short field. Kick it out of bounds, put it in the endzone, whatever, but do not let Mercer get big chunk returns in the kicking game. Force their offense to sustain a drive.

5. Conservative calls. I tend to think you will see Hendrix more conservative than you might normally expect. Given Mercer's struggles on offense, I don't see us going for it on 4th down in negative territory or even midfield. Too much risk against a good Mercer defense of turning it over on a short field.

Perhaps Hendrix can just play Nick Saban in the pregame.

furman88 liked this
 #6209  by tim
 Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:38 am
How do typical SOCON teams prepare in weather such as Greenville has had this week? We have flooding conditions this AM. I know the big schools have indoor facilities. Do they just practice outside anyway? How has the practice weather been in Macon?

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:59 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.