• Short Yardage Situations

#61684  by fu77fan
 Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:27 pm
Is it just me, or does Furman tend to struggle with 3rd and 4th downs and short yardage?
With a strong offensive line and good running backs, I do not understand why we cannot get 3rd and 2 or 4th and 1. Moving forward,playing against good teams, I think it is imperative that we get first downs in these situations.

Go Dins!!
bj93 liked this
 #61686  by apaladin
 Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:19 am
fu77fan wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:27 pm
Is it just me, or does Furman tend to struggle with 3rd and 4th downs and short yardage?
With a strong offensive line and good running backs, I do not understand why we cannot get 3rd and 2 or 4th and 1. Moving forward,playing against good teams, I think it is imperative that we get first downs in these situations.

Go Dins!!
Yes but it’s not just Furman. Teams still try the shortest route which is up the middle. The problem is there are just too many bodies and no where to go. On top of that the running backs are starting 7-8 yds deep, by the time they get to the los there’s a pile. If you are a defense your best chance for a stop os if the O runs up the middle.
 #61687  by purplehorse123
 Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:11 am
We did try a couple of outside short passes against Elon on 3rd and 1 but the short passes were not thrown well.

These are going to be huge plays against UIW. We may have to gamble on a few 4th and one’s.

On another note, have we run a single trick play this whole year?
 #61690  by FUBeAR
 Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:00 am
purplehorse123 wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:11 am
We did try a couple of outside short passes against Elon on 3rd and 1 but the short passes were not thrown well.

These are going to be huge plays against UIW. We may have to gamble on a few 4th and one’s.

On another note, have we run a single trick play this whole year?
Shiflett in wildcat on goal line … fake run, quick pass to Ryan Miller vs. Woffy was kind of a tricky-ish play

#61691  by The Jackal
 Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:13 am
I continue to be amazed at how teams lose Ryan Miller near the goal line.

If I am the defensive coordinator, he's the one guy on the field I know we're going to have a guy covering.
 #61692  by apaladin
 Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:16 am
I guess you could call Huff starting to run up the middle then hitting Roberto with the jump pass vs. Mercer sort of tricky.
 #61695  by FUBeAR
 Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:32 am
apaladin wrote:
I guess you could call Huff starting to run up the middle then hitting Roberto with the jump pass vs. Mercer sort of tricky.
Think that was just the extended mesh (ala Wake Forest) RPO and a late pull by Huff, just after Thomas began to squeeze, causing Huff to be pulled a bit forward before he could get the ball pulled and slang it.

#61696  by The Jackal
 Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:37 am
apaladin wrote:

This is a hill I die on, but most of these aren't "trick" plays. The "annexation of Puerto Rico" or "fumblerooski" are trick plays. All football, to some degree, is based on deception.

Roper can put pressure on defenses because, in part, he's not afraid to use the QB as a runner. He forces defenses to make real time decisions on where to be and exposes them for whatever choice they make.
 #61697  by FUBeAR
 Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:44 am
The Pell Mell play is another good one…after Puerto Rico has been annexed.
Bootie, Chuckles, AstroDin liked this
 #61708  by tim
 Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:53 am
We have caught lighting in a bottle letting Huff run the short yardage situations. He is money, he smells the 1st down sticks. He has been the missing piece.
FurmAlum liked this
 #61720  by The Jackal
 Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:01 pm
tim wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:53 am
We have caught lighting in a bottle letting Huff run the short yardage situations. He is money, he smells the 1st down sticks. He has been the missing piece.

I have found it at least a little interesting that Huff rarely throws a deep ball. Most of our long pass plays have been relatively short throws with broken tackles. The pass plays frequently have the ball quickly out of his hand.

Even though he'll take some hits on runs, it really doesn't seem like Huff gets hit much in the pocket. Furman spreads you out a bit, but really seems to put a lot of pressure on your linebackers to dissect plays quickly. The ball comes out fast and when teams bring pressure, they risk Huff scrambling out of the pocket and losing contain. Few defenders have been able to tackle him one on one in the backfield.

Watching the offense run, it really seems like Roper is trying to mess with linebacker's keys. A lot of the defensive "rules" are hard to apply against Furman and following them will frequently put you out of position. Linebackers have to sit back a bit, react to the backfield, which is then going to react to whatever they do.
fupaladin01 liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.