• G-W

G-W

#6139  by Paul C
 Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:25 pm
Wow, that was a great example of the price we will pay for our relative youth. Of all the players that were on the court for us tonite, only Rafferty and Lyons were not Fr or So. Hate it for AB that he’s going to miss some significant time. It really makes us young.

Tre Clark and Clay Mounce have both improved so much. And they aren’t finished products either. The combo of Gurley, Mounce and Clark is about as athletic a threesome as we’ve ever had.

Gurley is starting to get his “sea legs”, and Rafferty is such a fundamentally sound player. What a great “basketball player”....

Our Gs didn’t have their best games but wow is Lyons clutch. We got exposed a bit with our small Gs as the run they had was a lot of penetrating and driving against the 2 5-11 Gs.

Bob told me before the season that this team will look amazing one minute and want to make you pull your hair out the next. So far, it’s true :)
furpop16, furman88 and 1 others liked this
 #6140  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:36 pm
Glad to survive

3-0!
FUKA61 liked this
 #6141  by SidBreamScores
 Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:40 pm
True that re the athleticism of Mounce, Gurley and Clark. All three can really elevate - and Clark is a “quick” jumper to boot. He seems to hit max vertical in hurry. Fun to watch them attack the basket.
 #6142  by youwouldno
 Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:44 pm
Still no Jalen Williams, which isn't a good sign, I would assume. That's problematic because of the role he could play as a post defender (and in general as a backup to Rafferty). Seems that like that might also by why Slawson won't be able to red-shirt.

Losing Brown of course is even worse . . . he's a much-needed outside threat and also a good defender. I'm not sure how much success a team can have with guards that aren't efficient offensively and aren't good on defense.
 #6143  by Paul C
 Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:45 pm
Meant to add that GW impressed me. They’ll win a lot of Big South games this year.

And I also guess no RS for Slawson. That was a great block he had in limited action.
 #6145  by palfan89
 Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:07 pm
We are very athletic and are very long for a change. Different type team than the past few years where we were guard heavy. We really will miss AB. One thing this team does have though is guts. They never seem to fold when they very easily could. Totally agree with Paul C, I think as the year goes on this win will look better and better. GW is a pretty good team.
FUKA61, furpep liked this
 #6147  by Monday
 Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:32 pm
How long is Brown expected to be out?
 #6148  by tya1
 Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:45 pm
We definitely showed the youth tonight. Not only did we miss Brown's shooting, we missed his experience and calmness under pressure. I saw some indecision late from some of the younger players.

Terrific games for Rafferty and Mounce. We needed every point. I thought Gurley was playing well, especially in the first half, but he didn't play as much down the stretch. Maybe that was because Clark was defending better. Lyons didn't have a great game but he had a vital, clutch sequence in the OT with the made three pointer and the steal and layup. This is a different situation for Lyons. He is the man defenses will focus on outside the perimeter. Last year defenses looked at Sibley, Fowler, and Davis first. Lyons was #4 option most nights. He is#1 point of defensive intensity now.
 #6150  by apaladin
 Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:47 pm
I have one thing to say about this game and that is the refs were in a word: BAD.(both ways).
 #6151  by Paul C
 Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:33 am
It’s probably fortuitous that, aside from Villanova, we have some “easy” games coming up....will be good to get the young kids, who are going to have to play a bigger role than expected, some valuable minutes.

I’m thinking Pugh, Bothwell, Slawson for sure.

There’s no substitute for game experience.
 #6155  by CharlieFU
 Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:12 am
Geoff Beans was in the house to support the Paladins.

Good to see Slawson on the floor. Hoping he gets more minutes.

That starting lineup is awfully long and has potential to cause other teams some problems.

And who was in the floor at the end? Tre Clark! Some great moves around the basket and, I have to believe, the main reason he is in there is defense.

Gonna be up and down this season. But the highs are potentially quite high. While we lost a bunch of points to graduation, Rafferty has stepped up, along with Lyons. Mounce and Gurley have shown they can score. Mounce so versatile. Step out for a three (3-5 last night) and then around the hoops for a put back or alley oop.

It was fun— just too close.
 #6159  by MNORM
 Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:07 am
Paul C wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:45 pm
Meant to add that GW impressed me. They’ll win a lot of Big South games this year.

And I also guess no RS for Slawson. That was a great block he had in limited action.
In the postgame interview coach BR said he removed Slawson's redshirt Monday night.
 #6161  by Jasper
 Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:47 am
youwouldno wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:44 pm
Still no Jalen Williams, which isn't a good sign, I would assume. That's problematic because of the role he could play as a post defender (and in general as a backup to Rafferty). Seems that like that might also by why Slawson won't be able to red-shirt.

Losing Brown of course is even worse . . . he's a much-needed outside threat and also a good defender. I'm not sure how much success a team can have with guards that aren't efficient offensively and aren't good on defense.
With the red shirt taken off Slawson, it looks to me like the role Jalen Williams is slated to play is the one played by the now departed Jonathan Jean last season. He was back from a mysterious suspension last night and did not play at all.
 #6162  by underjack
 Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:55 am
What is the extent of Andrew Brown's latest injury to his lower leg?
 #6163  by fufanatic
 Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:36 am
RE Brown: Can't remember if they said the exact injury last night, but I believe it was said that he would miss AT LEAST 2 weeks, which makes me think it will be longer. Poor Andrew, if he didn't have bad luck, he would have no luck at all. Stroke in HS, nearly died from routine hernia surgery, broken foot and now whatever this is. I'm pulling for him so hard to finish off this year strong. He certainly deserves it.

Moving on, that was a good win. G-W was very impressive, especially that FR Perez. Their 0-3 record is not indicative of how many games they'll probably win in the Big South.

I think we have the potential for a pretty special year ... I'm sure there will be some lows, but if Rafferty can be consistent like he's been so far and everyone else does their job, we are going to be tough in the SoCon. The FR and SO's are incredibly talented and gets me really excited for the next few years. Lyons has gotten off to a slow shooting start (didn't he do that last year too?), but he sure is clutch and fearless. 6 of his 8 points were in OT when we needed him most. Gotta get better at FTs. Feel like we say that every year. Mounce was brilliant most of the game, but not salting the game away at the end could have been trouble. They were a made half courter away from stealing it. The Slawson block was hilarious it was so impressive. Bummed that Williams is not out there. I think he could contribute, especially against bigger teams, but I do have faith in this team. Excited for the rest of the year.

When's the last time we've started 4-0 (hopefully we can beat NGU) with the potential to be at least 5-1 before Thanksgiving?