• Elon

#61280  by Bootie
 Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:52 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:13 pm
If I had to guess, I think made a statistically justifiable call that backfired.

Furman definitely has a "block" and a "safe" (or whatever they call them) on the kick block team. When Furman is really coming after the ball, you'll see Blackshear and Brinson screaming off the edge. Here's their full block mode against Mercer.

Elon was in a pretty clear kick situation - second quarter, defensive battle, a field goal brings the game within 1 score.

Elon probably expected Furman to come after the kick. If Furman sent Brinson and Blackshear like they did against Mercer, the little lateral pass play may well have worked for a touchdown. Brinson and Blackshear would have run right by the kicker.

Furman did what they did against Wofford, though, which was hang back their edge guys anticipating a fake.

Elon's coach is going to catch a lot of heat for that particular call because of how badly it went. I suspect it was a justifiable call, Furman just didn't do what Elon thought they would do.
I notice Blackshear is lined up on the other end of the line in this one, coming from the holder’s side. Both kickers are right footed… if Mercer had tried that same play, it would’ve gone to the side away from blackshear, and Furman #14 was on that end waiting for any funny business.
 #61288  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:22 pm
We’ll usually flip the block formation depending on where the ball is.

Elons kick was on the right hash, so our block will come from the kickers left.
Bootie liked this
 #61289  by FU Hoopla
 Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:33 pm
Bootie wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:54 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:33 pm
Bootie wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:32 pm
Looks like my concern of being duped by a fake was unfounded.

Listening to Hendrix's post game, it sounds like Furman has been expecting the fake considering how successful they are at blocking kicks.

Honestly, I've been expecting to see a fake kick, but I definitely didn't expect a team to try to run one like Elon did. There's a good reason coaches don't like their slightly built kickers to run the ball.
A better angle, but it won’t preview here like a Twitter link will… Blacksheer is waiting for it.

https://www.ncaa.com/video/football/202 ... s-playoffs
Bootie liked this
 #61296  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:59 am
Just an all around GREAT GAME. Yeah, I do wish more people were there - I expected 5K and only 2700? Geez. But we got Clemson Carolina and I think that hurt. Oh well, we WON! Dam CAA getting 5 bids and SoCon got 2. That Elon team was easier than Chatt for sure and probably Mercer.

Positives - NO TURNOVERS. RUN RUN RUN. Our DL getting in the QB face and stopping the run too. They couldn’t run much and again we had them one dimensional…. Creating fumbles. Especially the one after they hit a big pass play. Did I mention our DL WOW.
EntIre defense. These guys scored 31 on Vandy. 6 on Furman. OL creating holes especially in first half and 4th quarter
Huff especially runs!!! Everyone fighting for yardage as OL pushed RBs and Huff for more yardage etc

Improve - a little off on short passing game
AstroDin liked this
 #61302  by apaladin
 Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:46 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:33 pm
Bootie wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:54 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:33 pm
Bootie wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:32 pm
Looks like my concern of being duped by a fake was unfounded.

Listening to Hendrix's post game, it sounds like Furman has been expecting the fake considering how successful they are at blocking kicks.

Honestly, I've been expecting to see a fake kick, but I definitely didn't expect a team to try to run one like Elon did. There's a good reason coaches don't like their slightly built kickers to run the ball.
A better angle, but it won’t preview here like a Twitter link will… Blacksheer is waiting for it.

https://www.ncaa.com/video/football/202 ... s-playoffs
This play was on espn’s college football final “top 5 plays” fan vote.
Roundball, dornb, Bootie and 1 others liked this
 #61311  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:59 am
gofurman wrote:
Just an all around GREAT GAME. Yeah, I do wish more people were there - I expected 5K and only 2700? Geez. But we got Clemson Carolina and I think that hurt. Oh well, we WON! Dam CAA getting 5 bids and SoCon got 2. That Elon team was easier than Chatt for sure and probably Mercer.

Positives - NO TURNOVERS. RUN RUN RUN. Our DL getting in the QB face and stopping the run too. They couldn’t run much and again we had them one dimensional…. Creating fumbles. Especially the one after they hit a big pass play. Did I mention our DL WOW.
EntIre defense. These guys scored 31 on Vandy. 6 on Furman. OL creating holes especially in first half and 4th quarter
Huff especially runs!!! Everyone fighting for yardage as OL pushed RBs and Huff for more yardage etc

Said it a while back, but other than the fourth quarter against WCU and about 8 minutes of game time against Samford, Furman has played pretty solid football all season.

We're one of 16 left standing - why not us?
dornb, din23, gman84 and 2 others liked this
 #61312  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:03 am
this should get folks excited for the future - this is our 4th or 5th string running back this season. He's going to be a good player for us going forward.

dornb, Davemeister, AstroDin liked this
 #61313  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:07 am
Wish I had gotten to see the set up, but an old school QB sweep here for the dagger. Wasn't pretty, but effective. Abrams looks like he blocks three or four guys.

#61314  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:13 am
I love the little wrinkles here. The DE has no idea where the ball is. He get's ready to take on a block from Abrams, who feints him and move to the second level. By that point, Huff is by him.

dornb liked this
 #61317  by Bootie
 Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:19 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:59 am
gofurman wrote:

Said it a while back, but other than the fourth quarter against WCU and about 8 minutes of game time against Samford, Furman has played pretty solid football all season.

We're one of 16 left standing - why not us?
The force is strong in this team. They/we are growing tighter and more confident each week. Somebody said here recently we are the “oh shit” team and it’s true. Anybody who has to play us knows they’re likely in for either a hard-fought battle or a purple pounding. We’ve got some great momentum and confidence coming together and creating a really special team and season.

I believe we can play with anybody. Bring them all on.
Roundball, dornb, cavedweller2 and 4 others liked this
 #61397  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:07 pm
I started scanning through some Les Miles LSU-era fake kicks (they were pretty good at them).

This is what - in my opinion - Elon was trying to do:

- Clear situation where the offensive team is looking to kick a field goal. Any rational team is looking for the field goal in this situation.

- Offensive team guesses that because it is a clear kick situation the defensive team is going to be coming after the kick.

Florida applied heavy pressure from the edges here. Furman did not. If those edge rushers aren't bringing pressure, this play is a disaster (as Elon found out).

Again, a justifiable call and a gamble. If you guess right, you're a genius. If you guess wrong, you're an idiot.
Davemeister, AstroDin liked this
 #61470  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:48 pm
Watching the replay on espn+ and the picture quality is outstanding! Anyone else notice? I did notice that it looked like espn had extra equipment at the game.
 #61475  by Bootie
 Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:22 am
apaladin wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:48 pm
Watching the replay on espn+ and the picture quality is outstanding! Anyone else notice? I did notice that it looked like espn had extra equipment at the game.
I understand ESPN brought in their own crew for the playoffs.
dornb liked this
 #61477  by AstroDin
 Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:52 am
I listened to the Bluebloods podcast last night… I like the description the announcer used for Furman. A physical running team on steroids. He was comparing the Furman running game vs ICW's only loss to SLU. The Lions had 205 rushing yards in that game.

Furman seems to be in a zone on game prep. The players mentioned that on the coach's show. I saw that firsthand.

I went out Thanksgiving morning to watch the team practice. Furman spent the first part of that Thursday practice on special teams—I thought that was interesting. Furman has turned its special teams into a difference maker this season. Elon thought they could exploit the DINS on special teams—Furman prepped better.

The defensive attention to detail in the practice was the other thing that caught my eye. In a quiet stadium, you can hear everything. The coach's instruction and conversations with players towards the defense playing against the Scout team offense were spot-on to what Furman saw from the Elon offense in-game.

The offense was on the other side, and I decided not to walk to that side. But the same thing was going on.
dornb liked this
 #61479  by AstroDin
 Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:11 am
A note about Grant Robinson. Grant played for John Paul II Catholic Prep in Dallas. The AD and his football coach were George Teague. The George Teague of Alabama, Green Bay, Dallas fame. John Paul plays in the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools (TAPPS).

I consult for a perennial football power in TAPPS Parish Episcopal. I've gone to a game at Parish-Impressive football. Robinson rushed for over 200 yards against them his senior season. That was another state championship season for Parish. Myion Hicks also played in that division for Pantego Christian Academy.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.