✔️ Plane ticket secured
✔️ Hotel booked
✔️ Rental car booked
✔️ Game ticket purchased
FUATT
AstroDin, din23, FUBeAR and 5 others liked this
 #61292  by apaladin
 Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:00 am
UIW is one of the worst possible matchups for Furman. Their QB has thrown for 3,767 yds 50 TD’s and only 4 ints. They have a 1,000 yd receiver. They have a 1,000 yd RB that averages 7.1 ypc. Granted their schedule is suspect but these are video game type numbers. They did put up 55 points and 616 yds on FBS Nevada. Nevada finished 2-10 but the 55 points was the most Nevada gave up all year. They have scored over 50 points in 6 of their 11 games, over 60 twice and over 70 twice.
Affirm liked this
 #61294  by Thorny
 Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:39 am
apaladin wrote:UIW is one of the worst possible matchups for Furman. Their QB has thrown for 3,767 yds 50 TD’s and only 4 ints. They have a 1,000 yd receiver. They have a 1,000 yd RB that averages 7.1 ypc. Granted their schedule is suspect but these are video game type numbers. They did put up 55 points and 616 yds on FBS Nevada. Nevada finished 2-10 but the 55 points was the most Nevada gave up all year. They have scored over 50 points in 6 of their 11 games, over 60 twice and over 70 twice.
They're the seventh seed...Furman had to play one of the top 8 teams.

I think this is a good match up. A team putting up video game numbers against questionable opponents to me is a glorified Mercer. They're untested against a compotent defence, compotent coaching staff, etc.

I thought Elon's offense could exploit Furman's defense's weak points. Sure, Furman is good against run first teams BUT Elon had a mobile qb with a super high passing efficiency and a BIG O-line. Furman's defense is set up to shut down the run, disrupt the passer, and be opportunistic on the backend when said passer is pressured. I was not confident that we could disrupt the passing game given Elon's O-line and mobile qb and said qb was capable of beating us with his arm.

I'm REALLY happy with the bracket. Furman had to start with one of the best teams they could of drawn for the first round BUT since Furman won we move on to an untested team in Texas and if Furman wins that we move onto California. We don't have to play in the far North against one of the teams with some of the biggest home field advantages in the FCS until we play NDSU in the semi-finals.

I know Elon was a tough draw for the first round but good god watching Elon, who thought they were too good to play in the SoCon, beaten like a drum felt good. They still don't have a win in the play-offs and half of that is thanks to Furman.
apaladin, din23, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #61295  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:51 am
apaladin wrote:
UIW is one of the worst possible matchups for Furman. Their QB has thrown for 3,767 yds 50 TD’s and only 4 ints. They have a 1,000 yd receiver. They have a 1,000 yd RB that averages 7.1 ypc. Granted their schedule is suspect but these are video game type numbers. They did put up 55 points and 616 yds on FBS Nevada. Nevada finished 2-10 but the 55 points was the most Nevada gave up all year. They have scored over 50 points in 6 of their 11 games, over 60 twice and over 70 twice.
I’ll have to study but I don’t like how much they throw. Today, When he had time he hit some nice passes. That said, I was so impressed with how much pressure we got on the Elon QB today !!! That was a big difference. Sacks and QB hurries were huge today !!!
 #61298  by apaladin
 Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:31 am
The team will of course have a chartered flight. Wonder if fans will be offered available seats? It’s gonna be a long drive for Dan who doesn’t fly.
 #61300  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:55 am
Man. Say what you will but that CRUSHING that UIW has of Southern Illinois is impressive. They Boat raced them by almost 40 point margin. and that SIU team went on to beat North Dakota (good team in playoffs) and lose to SEMO and NDSU! each by three points. So a team that lost by 3 to NDSU … these guys beat by 40!! I was looking for a strong opponent and that’s the one. And they CRUSHED them.
Affirm liked this
 #61303  by FUBeAR
 Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:36 am
What do…

1) LSU
2) East Mississippi Community College
3) Missouri
4) Nicholls State, and…
5) University of the Incarnate Word…

…have in common?
Furmanoid liked this
 #61304  by Roundball
 Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:15 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:50 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:38 pm
Surely they will change the start time for the basketball game next Saturday.
Should change basketball game to 7pm
I vote for Friday night.
 #61306  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:15 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:31 am
The team will of course have a chartered flight. Wonder if fans will be offered available seats? It’s gonna be a long drive for Dan who doesn’t fly.
I just drove back from Texas for Thanskgiving.

Admittedly San Antonio is a cool city.

I'm also hoping our new Texas fan base will gather up their friends and family to make the trip.
AstroDin, dornb liked this
 #61307  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:18 am
gofurman wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:55 am
Man. Say what you will but that CRUSHING that UIW has of Southern Illinois is impressive. They Boat raced them by almost 40 point margin. and that SIU team went on to beat North Dakota (good team in playoffs) and lose to SEMO and NDSU! each by three points. So a team that lost by 3 to NDSU … these guys beat by 40!! I was looking for a strong opponent and that’s the one. And they CRUSHED them.

I was watching the highlights of that game.

SIU is probably the fastest paced pass-happy of the MVFC teams. Very different stylistically than Furman.

SIU struggled to run with UIW's receivers and had at least two punts snapped over their punter's head in the first half, which really led to the route.
 #61308  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:43 am
apaladin wrote:

I think there is context in the numbers.

1. I do not believe the Southland conference is a gauntlet of tough defensive football teams. There are four Southland teams surrendering over 35 points per game with over 50 touchdowns on the season. No SoCon team has surrendered 50 touchdowns this season. In context, about half their conference is "worse than VMI" defensively.

Here's a play from their recent game against Northwestern State. Do you think that Furman's defense is going to let an opposing running back go 67 yards without him being touched?

2. Some of the QB's numbers are a product of their coach not taking the foot off the gas. Here's Scott throwing a downfield bomb against woefully bad Houston Christian up 63-6. You think Clay Hendrix would have Tyler Huff throwing vertical routes up 57 points?

#61309  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:49 am
I think the adversity element will be interesting in this game.

My guess is UIW hasn't been challenged much this year. They haven't had to win physical football games. They probably don't play a lot of four quarter contests. They don't face a lot of teams that can match their talent level. They haven't had to try and win games in the fourth quarter.

How UIW and their young coach react to playing arguably one of the most well-coached and physical football teams in the FCS will be something to watch.
din23, AstroDin, dornb liked this
 #61310  by AstroDin
 Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:58 am
Clay mentioned post-game that he knew several coaches in the Southland.
Patrick Covington is the current OC at Lamar.
Bootie, dornb liked this
 #61316  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:17 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:13 am
The best defense is a good running offense.

There's no question we are going to need to play a ball control style and keep their offense hanging out on the sideline.

We play Western and Samford every year - it's going to be a similar strategy to playing that group.
FUpaladin08 liked this