#61152  by Affirm
 Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:55 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:57 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:32 am
AstroDin wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:23 am
I have run the numbers — oddly, GSP to San Antonio is about the same as GSP to Sacramento.
Around $500 round-trip.
$383.96 from ATL via Southwest Air
Thanks but certainly not worth the hassle, time, gas etc to save $100 so I will be usng GSP. We are getting a little ahead of ourselves, aren’t we?
Yes. Absolutely. Beat Elon.
Definitely not going to San Antonio to see Elon play.
Beat Elon.
 #61153  by Affirm
 Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:23 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:59 pm
affirm wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:04 pm
Years in which we have won each of the following final numbers of games:
9 2022*, 2000, 1999
10 2004, 1983, 1927
11 2005
12 2001, 1989, 1985
13 1988

We have gotten to 9 or more wins only 9 times in our 117 years of playing football.
The number of seasons in which we have won more than 9 games in our 117 years of playing football is only 8
If we somehow win Saturday, we will have 10 wins. We will have gotten to that number only 8 times in our 117 years of playing football.
Also, note that we have had winning seasons 5 of the last 6 years, and the one we did not have a winning season was the Covid-shorted 2020 season when we were 3-4.
Won 9 in 1982 also
You are right.
I was wrong.
 #61154  by Affirm
 Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:29 am
bj93 wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:05 pm
Also won 9 in 1980, 1990 and 1996.
You also are right.
I was wrong.
May we get above 9 this year.
14, 13, 12, 11, 10, and 9 all remain as possibilities for this season.
9 is good. Right now, we have the chance to do even better than 9.
Beat Elon.
 #61155  by AstroDin
 Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:37 am
For me, the hassle and parking fees flying out of ATL aren't worth it unless it's an international flight. But I appreciate FuBear sharing that price. I'm also a Delta Million Flyer—Delta will make every effort to get me home. Other airlines and getting back to GSP late-you're out of luck.

Back to the Future of Purple Football…
What excites me most is the fusion of several things that give me confidence in the future of Furman's athletic programs.

Many, rightly so based on the Shi-Days, have questioned the commitment of Furman's admin and sports (mainly football). As we see—the new Grad program is a difference maker for Furman sports. I believe more is to come, all I can say.

Clay IMO hired UP with the recent hires—always a good sign when your program can lure excellent assistant coaches.

If you look at a school like NDSU, they're built primarily with little players with stars. They do have some three and two-star players. They have a system and evaluate players well, then develop them.

Furman went through some lean years related to players offered not contributing. We also over-recruited some positions. Bruce Fowler had a mess on his hands. And in comes Clay, who methodically and patiently has built this team with a strong emphasis on more athletic players on both lines. Clay also mentioned the lack of explosive players.

Folks, we're 9-2. What makes this IMO more impressive is we were able to get here playing a group of only seven offensive linemen. Losing two contending starters in the preseason to injury, plus two incoming freshmen deciding not to come back. Left Furman down four scholarship players on the offensive line.

The defensive line had its own issue. Losing JJ in the CSU game caused a shuffle of players. The best news here is the play of highly-recruited Jack Barton. Jack was gone from a sparingly used backup to a difference-maker.

I'll close with this—our coaching staff is proving itself to be excellent at seeing talent and fit for Furman. Bringing in transfers like Huff, Stephens, Dean, and Gissinger. Our high school recruiting is spot-on. We have a consensus all-conference OG with only two offers from a small A private school. We have a starting linebacker that could have played TE or LB with many offers. Not to mention a starting running back whose only other offers were to play linebacker.

We rightly get excited about a commitment from a 6-7 tight end with a bunch of FBS offers. It's the offers to players with modest recruiting that are interesting regarding this staff.
hypercycloid, gman84, dornb liked this
 #61156  by Afurmanfan
 Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:51 am
Coach Johnson has told me more than once that Clay was his best recruiter. As old as it gets, the jimmies and joes are 80% of winning. In addition, we are well coached, disciplined and the obvious culture that Clay has created are all pluses and his leadership is responsible for that.
Davemeister, gman84, dornb liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.